DFB | Syracusefan.com

DFB

javadoc

All American
Watching the coaching turnstiles, I am pleased that we are not in that situation this year. And as programs grasp for a shiny new coach, I reflect on how happy I am that DFB is our coach. I hope he stays a good long while.

On a side note, for those who have looked into his past HC gigs - it appears to me this is his first HC gig in which he has not had the players to do what he wants to, relative to the power level of the schedule he faces. Yes? Maybe?

Watching the coaching turnstiles, I am pleased that we are not in that situation this year. And as programs grasp for a shiny new coach, I reflect on how happy I am that DFB is our coach. I hope he stays a good long while.

On a side note, for those who have looked into his past HC gigs - it appears to me this is his first HC gig in which he has not had the players to do what he wants to, relative to the power level of the schedule he faces. Yes? Maybe?
Yes. The talent levels he inherited at BG, and EI, were more on par with the rest of the conference. Not so here. Everyone should keep that in mind here, if they're expecting a quick turnaround. His teams were competing for and winning titles by year two at those other schools. It's going to take at least 3-4 years here to bring in competitive talent, and build depth to the point where we can win 7-10 games a year.

Think it's a learning curve for the coaches, as well. Figuring out what works, and what doesn't...

Think it's a learning curve for the coaches, as well. Figuring out what works, and what doesn't...

Agree about that learning curve -- especially on the defensive side. Babers and his top coordinators on offensive have been together several years. On the D, it is a different story with a young DC, who overlapped with Babers only in 2015 at BG.

Will be interesting to see how much the D improves year over year.

DB inherited an E. Ill. Team coming off consecutive 2-9 campaigns. That cupboard was not stocked.

People look at Jimmy G. and say of course he had talent, but, how much of his career can Jimmy G. Thank DB for? If DB never goes to E. Ill. I guarantee he's not in the NFL.

Now, the talent gap isn't as large at that level as noted. But, i think it's inaccurate to look at Syracuse and say they're much further behind the conference than anything DB's ever inherited. Maybe BG, but not E. Ill., and our talent gap between us and the rest of the conference is not some ridiculous margin.

Sure, at Clemson & FSU we're at a huge disadvantage, but not against the rest of the conference.

I think our team will be top 40 good next year. Unfortunately we have the god damn gauntlet for a schedule. However in year three I expect us to be disappointed with anything less than 8 wins.

I think our team will be top 40 good next year. Unfortunately we have the god damn gauntlet for a schedule. However in year three I expect us to be disappointed with anything less than 8 wins.
Yeah, this coming year's schedule is a serious bitch. But we should come through with wins against CCSU, Central Michigan, MTSU, BC, WF and Pitt. Stretch wins would be NC State and Miami. No way in hell are Clemson, FSU, Louisville, and LSU.

Yeah, this coming year's schedule is a serious bitch. But we should come through with wins against CCSU, Central Michigan, MTSU, BC, WF and Pitt. Stretch wins would be NC State and Miami. No way in hell are Clemson, FSU, Louisville, and LSU.
Fortunately next year is a gift to season ticket holders. Favorable slate of very winnable home games. A really great opportunity for Dino Babers to show the dome what he's capable of. Bc/Wake/Pitt/CMU/MTSU/CCSU all very winnable. Our road schedule is just...just concerning to say the least.

I never would have thought we beat Virginia Tech this year either. That is why I get excited at the beginning of each season. You never know. I just hope we compete with the teams at the end of your list. I am also looking forward to Steven getting better every year. Tell him to stay healthy.

I wonder how much his house cost.

Here's a fun screen grab from like 2010 at my parents house. Funny story the guy driving the googlemobile went to WG highschool with my dad in the '74. Yes I had a jumpman logo on my car. I was super cool.

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-3_14-37-59.png
    upload_2017-1-3_14-37-59.png
    569.5 KB · Views: 72

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online