Class of 2015 - Diagne v Bryant... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Diagne v Bryant...

Like the offensive skills of Diagne (and Bryant); something that is sorely lacking in the current group of big men that we have. Boeheim recruits for defense, come on Jim, bring in a big guy that can actually provide some offense down low...

Lots of rumblings in other threads that we are going to get a commit very soon from one of them with the greater likelihood sounding like it will be Diagne. Hope the rumblings are true.

I would be thrilled to get either player, but the question now is if you had your druthers, which one would you prefer ?

If it were up to me, I would take Diagne. I actually think Bryant will end up being the better player, but the reasons I would prefer Moose are twofold:

1. I think he is more of a true C, where as I think Bryant's best position will be at the four, where we do not need as much help.

2. I think Bryant is much more likely to be a one & done. I would see Moose as a two, maybe even a three year player, particularly if DC2 can come back strong and emerge as a legit starting C after Rak leaves.

I strongly believe Bryant will choose SU in the fall and will come in as a 4. It sounds like he prefers the four over the five in college and SU is a heavy lean. He probably won't commit until fall. I hope we still have a scholly left for hime because he will be a great college player.

I strongly believe Bryant will choose SU in the fall and will come in as a 4. It sounds like he prefers the four over the five in college and SU is a heavy lean. He probably won't commit until fall. I hope we still have a scholly left for hime because he will be a great college player.

Is he that attractive of a must get prospect for Syracuse if he comes in at the 4?

Is he that attractive of a must get prospect for Syracuse if he comes in at the 4?

I think he his! It will give us a big forward that can score down low, rebound, and block shots. I liked the jackson/onaku front court combination. I think diagne/bryant will give us a better version of that.

Early on in highschool I envisioned Bryant as a 4 but man the last 3-4 times I watched him play there is no way he can play the wing in the 2-3. Rick Jackson got bye out there his Fresh-Junior seasons (before he got into great shape as a senior) but I doubt Bryant would be able to. I see him as a 5 only for us and probably anyone else as well regardless of the system. He has simply really lost any lateral quickness as he has increased his size and bulk. He has some skills to operate away from the basket on offense but he's a 5 on defense from what I have seen.

Agree with SoBeCuse if we have Bryant and Diange and they play together Diange would be at the 4. He has very good end to end speed and is much quicker especially laterally. That said I'm not sure either is really a 4 as both to me are pivot guys. I'm still not sold we would get both. I could see getting one and then adding a 4 year program type athletic big guy like Silva.

I think he his! It will give us a big forward that can score down low, rebound, and block shots. I liked the jackson/onaku front court combination. I think diagne/bryant will give us a better version of that.
Based upon the number of minutes that Onuaku and Jackson were on the court together, JB didn't much care for the combination.

Based upon the number of minutes that Onuaku and Jackson were on the court together, JB didn't much care for the combination.

It was an offensive situation and change of pace more than anything. He often looked for the first opportunity to sit Jackson and get a second forward in the game. They were great in the high low on offense and crashing the glass but teams routinely attacked the corner on Jackson's side and JB would pull him at that point.

It was an offensive situation and change of pace more than anything. He often looked for the first opportunity to sit Jackson and get a second forward in the game. They were great in the high low on offense and crashing the glass but teams routinely attacked the corner on Jackson's side and JB would pull him at that point.

I felt that was more a foul situation factor. He tried not to put the team in a situation where both bigs were on the bench in foul trouble. He actually tried to have a lineup with 2 bigs in at the sametime since jackson/onaku. Christmas/Coleman as of late!

Early on in highschool I envisioned Bryant as a 4 but man the last 3-4 times I watched him play there is no way he can play the wing in the 2-3. Rick Jackson got bye out there his Fresh-Junior seasons (before he got into great shape as a senior) but I doubt Bryant would be able to. I see him as a 5 only for us and probably anyone else as well regardless of the system. He has simply really lost any lateral quickness as he has increased his size and bulk. He has some skills to operate away from the basket on offense but he's a 5 on defense from what I have seen.

Agree with SoBeCuse if we have Bryant and Diange and they play together Diange would be at the 4. He has very good end to end speed and is much quicker especially laterally. That said I'm not sure either is really a 4 as both to me are pivot guys. I'm still not sold we would get both. I could see getting one and then adding a 4 year program type athletic big guy like Silva.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this. Diagne just seems to have more potential than Bryant to be at least serviceable at the 4. He has shown that he can run the floor and even handle the ball some coast to coast. Of course this is all diagnosed from extensive scouting of highlight vids. :confused:

Like the offensive skills of Diagne (and Bryant); something that is sorely lacking in the current group of big men that we have. Boeheim recruits for defense, come on Jim, bring in a big guy that can actually provide some offense down low...

It seems almost as if the coaching staff skewed a little too far to that end of the spectrum the last few years, which may explain our shooting woes the last few seasons. I can't see that improving next season, but given that all three of the 2015 recruits are known for shooting (aside from the great length that they all have), it seems like maybe the staff has recognized the situation and is fixing it. Tough to say if any of the '15 recruits will be able to see much playing time in '15-16, but I'm very optimistic that as they develop at SU, they'll begin providing us with the shooting that we've missed since '09-10.

Sticking Bryant on the wing would be like putting Craig Forth out there. Bryant does play with passion and an attitude.

The way the game is played now, better to have shooters and guys that can stretch the floor (aka Lydon). In my opinion, the last two seasons with Rak at the PF has not been that effective. Better to have shooters on the perimeter with a big that can score in the middle. A good example would be Michigan which has shooters all over the floor. You win a lot of games with defense but when you look at the top teams, they can score the ball.

The way the game is played now, better to have shooters and guys that can stretch the floor (aka Lydon). In my opinion, the last two seasons with Rak at the PF has not been that effective. Better to have shooters on the perimeter with a big that can score in the middle. A good example would be Michigan which has shooters all over the floor. You win a lot of games with defense but when you look at the top teams, they can score the ball.

At the end of the day, you need shot makers. And we've lacked them these last two years [although I believe that MCW, Triche, and even CJ last year were all capable of performing at a higher level than they did in terms of shooting consistency].

When you lack shot makers--and it doesn't just have to be from three--you're going to struggle to score points. Playing someone like Lydon [for example] at the 4 is completely different offensively than playing a limited offensive player like Rak there, both in terms of floor spacing and in terms of keeping defenses honest.

All three of the current commits in the class of 2015 look like shot makers. Bodes well for the future.

I felt that was more a foul situation factor. He tried not to put the team in a situation where both bigs were on the bench in foul trouble. He actually tried to have a lineup with 2 bigs in at the sametime since jackson/onaku. Christmas/Coleman as of late!
For how long? Just because he started a given lineup (2 bigs, in these cases) doesn't mean that he preferred that lineup. And his quick hooks are the proof.

just posted Govan getting an offer.
Doesn't reconcile with all the talk that we are going to get good news from another big in the very near future. Also, why no presser announced by Diagne or Bryant if that good news is coming soon. Is it possible that Govan could be that good news ????? It doesn't make sense that the staff would bother to make a "contingent" offer if good news is imminent, why not just wait the week or so ?? After all Lydon's commitment seemed to come out of nowhere. Something here is not adding up to me.

PS - Watching Govan's tape reminded me of Rick Jackson, which certainly would not be a bad thing.

Good comparison with Rick Jackson. Doesn't look that explosive but has some good skills and size. May take a couple seasons to get up to speed but a solid 4 year player.

Doesn't reconcile with all the talk that we are going to get good news from another big in the very near future. Also, why no presser announced by Diagne or Bryant if that good news is coming soon. Is it possible that Govan could be that good news ????? It doesn't make sense that the staff would bother to make a "contingent" offer if good news is imminent, why not just wait the week or so ?? After all Lydon's commitment seemed to come out of nowhere. Something here is not adding up to me.

PS - Watching Govan's tape reminded me of Rick Jackson, which certainly would not be a bad thing.

I don't think that it is correlated--at all. I think the staff plans on bringing in two center-types in this class. If they can land BOTH Diagne / Bryant, then it will be those two. If not, then they are casting their nets wider, on a kid who is starting to peak playing at camps.

Diagne or Jones

I'm still not really all that impressed with Bryant, I love his passion but I just don't see why he's so highly rated.

Bryant is a future pro. I'm not sure you can say that about Diagne.

Bryant is a future pro. I'm not sure you can say that about Diagne.

*insert big man* is a future pro. Something I've learned to take with a grain of salt.

*insert big man* is a future pro. Something I've learned to take with a grain of salt.

The kid is going to be around 6-10, 240. He's had a fluid jump shot and a pretty nice handle for a guy his size since he was a sophomore. As he's filled out, he's gotten more physical and now has an inside game to go with his perimeter skills. To me, his development has been a lot like Andre Blatche so far. I see a bright future for him, if he works hard and keeps his head on straight.

Yeah, the numbers say one more scholie to give. Wonder how the coaches figure we have two to give??

Can't assume injuries or someone going pro.

We only have one

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom