Did Boeheim Really Tell Carmelo to Leave? | Syracusefan.com

Did Boeheim Really Tell Carmelo to Leave?

Col. Bleep

All American
http://nypost.com/2014/10/10/carmelo-will-clear-air-with-boeheim-over-reveal-of-syracuse-grades/

Forget about the revelation of his grades. There's something far more interesting in this article.
If Carmelo's quote here is to be taken literally...he wanted to stick around in 2003 and Boeheim actually told him to leave SU for the NBA.

“I didn’t know [I was leaving] until after we won the championship,’’ Anthony said. “Even until that point I still went in there and had a conversation with Boeheim, trying to figure out how to come back to school. I had a prèss conference. I was crying in the press conference. I really didn’t want to leave because I had so much fun. It wasn’t until he told me to pack my bags and get on out of here.’’

I remember the announcement of his decision to go pro very well. It was breaking news locally and he cried pretty much the entire time during the press conference. He also said he intended on coming back and getting his degree eventually. Everybody knew he'd go pro, this was just a formality. But it did show that he was torn on the decision.

Last edited:
http://nypost.com/2014/10/10/carmelo-will-clear-air-with-boeheim-over-reveal-of-syracuse-grades/

Forget about the revelation of his grades. There's something far more interesting in this article.
If Carmelo's quote here is to be taken literally...he wanted to stick around in 2003 and Boeheim actually told him to leave SU for the NBA.

“I didn’t know [I was leaving] until after we won the championship,’’ Anthony said. “Even until that point I still went in there and had a conversation with Boeheim, trying to figure out how to come back to school. I had a prèss conference. I was crying in the press conference. I really didn’t want to leave because I had so much fun. It wasn’t until he told me to pack my bags and get on out of here.’’
Jb admitted as much at the time as I recall. On the grades there is imply nfw jb would denigrate a player like melo who he has a great relationship with. The media is a bunch of morons

Last edited:
The media is trying to create a story about one friend putting down another. These are two people who have always had the utmost respect for one another. JB has even been known to tell Melo he loved him. Anyone trying to create a firestorm over a small comment in a book needs to find something constructive to do with their time.

Ya, this wasn't news to me. Have heard on many different platforms plenty of times how he was forced out by Jimmy (not in a bad way but he was trying to protect him). Really was the smartest thing for Melo. Nothing left to gain or prove other then injury. Pretty sure this even came out around the time he announced, Or maybe it was in one of the championship DVDs I bought and watched.

Any good manager wants his employees to rise the ranks, eventually leave for better things. JB was just acting in that capacity. He realized Carmelo's opportunity and did what any good boss would do.

National Champ.

Tournament MVP.

#3 overall pick in the draft.
This says it all. Melo had nothing to gain (ok maybe #1 pick) and much to lose. However with orange tinted glasses, one would wonder why tell him to leave. Player of the year returning. Add Melo back to that squad and SU/JB could very well have had a 2nd NC.
What did he have to gain by coming back for another year?

If I was his coach I would have helped him pack his bags.

Carmelo's star power was as high as it was ever going to be for a collegiate athlete. JB didn't push him to leave because of the draft. He pushed him to leave because his marketability was sky high. There was big $$$ to be made in sneaker deals, etc. Coming back for another year would have helped JB and SU more than it would have helped Melo's marketability. People want to bash JB for telling Melo to take the $$$ and run?! Really? I think it would have been worse for him to talk Melo into staying and letting the most significant moment in his professional life pass him by...the moment where his dream came true to it's fullest.

Gotta love the media trying to make something out of nothing. Hell, they freakin worship Calipari for pushing guys out the door every year.

you'd have to be a selfish moron not to tell carmelo to leave.

Yes he did, other than being selfish there was no reason in the world to tell the kid to come back for another year.

Telling him to leave is different than advising him to do so.

Exactly. Within the context of the book, Boeheim's comments about his grades could not be more benign and are in no way a shot at Carmelo.

there was NO reason to state the grades.

for 1, its actually illegal without permission. I don't know for sure if Melo gave him permission - but knowing how Boeheim talks in opinion facts all the time, A. the grades probably arent even accurate (+/- system) and B. Even if Melo says he gave permission after the fact - its only to cover for JB because Melo will always have JB's back. I highly doubt JB called Melo to ask permission.

The only chance of permission is if the editor called Melo and said "JB was quoted as saying ..., is it OK if we run?"

Telling him to leave is different than advising him to do so.

C'mon... Boeheim had to tell him to leave. Melo staying would not have helped him, it could have hurt him. It was a no-brainer.

C'mon... Boeheim had to tell him to leave. Melo staying would not have helped him, it could have hurt him. It was a no-brainer.

Your right--it was a no brainer.

I'm not really sure what you are disagreeing with from my post, beyond splitting hairs.

He didn't "tell" Carmelo to go--he advised him to do so. He's "told" other players to go in the past, generally for negative reasons. That doesn't apply here.

Your right--it was a no brainer.

I'm not really sure what you are disagreeing with from my post, beyond splitting hairs.

He didn't "tell" Carmelo to go--he advised him to do so. He's "told" other players to go in the past, generally for negative reasons. That doesn't apply here.

ah... i misunderstood your post.

upon further review, im kind of embarrassed to even state what i thought you meant. so ill just leave it as - i agree with you.

National Champ.

Tournament MVP.

#3 overall pick in the draft.

What did he have to gain by coming back for another year?

If I was his coach I would have helped him pack his bags.
Nothing to gain from a numbers standpoint, but I can't fault a kid for wanting to come back and have fun. If it's only about the money, there are a lot of kids at universities that should be in trade apprenticeship programs right now. JB gave him the right advice, but had Melo come back because he didn't want to miss out one more year of college fun, I wouldn't have blamed him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom