Did I miss the outrage? | Syracusefan.com

Did I miss the outrage?

Toga

Living Legend
Watched the game but had limited online access for a couple of days. Did I miss the outrage about the officiating? I began to lose count after awhile but I put the officiating (or lack thereof) as costing SU in the range of 5-7 goals. That is 5-7 goals in a 1 goal game. There of course is the 1 or 2 minute non-releasable that didn't even get a flag. Let's put that at somewhere between 1-3 goals. The clock started just late enough to allow a goal to count at the end of the period. In the 4th there was a slash in the Syracuse end that directly resulted in a goal 2 seconds later - no call. Also in the 4th when the SU player tripped over the back of the net - it was clearly the result of a moving screen - no call. A goal was the immediate result of that no call.

Because of all these no calls, SU had to play a pressing defense late which resulted in another goal. Also as a result of these no-calls - SU pulls the goalie = another goal.

I mean What?

They also missed a trip on Williams and Lecky and then a loose ball push on Young late on in the game!, I agree and have added in another post I dont know how more of a fuss wasnt kicked up about it and Desko was very diplomatic in his post game interview.

There where more than one moving screen by the Stanwicks and they seem to get away with it all the time, you could hear the SU coaches complaining that they where moving and also got away with a few wards!

He also took himself into the crease on the diving goal play and agree the clock started late.

Many posts on here discussing the simply awful/one-sided officiating. But a lot of it was vented in the chat room during the game.

10448781_10207032295433954_1554340753394652490_n.jpg

They were so bad and one sided that by the middle of the third one ref ( who had called the crease violation on Hopkins, only to get waved off by the corrupt ref) was obviously aware of the glaring discrepancies and seemed to call a few our way when we did not deserve the call in an attempt to even things up.

We also had Grimm hustle to make it to the sideline (closer to the ball) on a Hopkins shot (on the blind side of ref), for the possession to be given to the Jays!

Officials: David Pinciaro;Doug Donovan;Brian Abbott

Brian Abbott has been a fixture at Homewood (Cuse at Hop) and is a complete homer and known quantity to Desko and his staff! You know him fair hair and is shaped like a Pear! Why cant we have neutral refs from other areas and not Baltimorons!

Last edited:
We also had Grimm hustle to make it to the sideline (closer to the ball) on a Hopkins shot (on the blind side of ref), for the possession to be given to the Jays!

Officials: David Pinciaro;Doug Donovan;Brian Abbott

Brian Abbott has been a fixture at Homewood (Cuse at Hop) and is a complete homer and known quantity to Desko and his staff! You know him fair hair and is shaped like a Peach! Why cant we have neutral refs from other areas and not Baltimorons!
Because it might require flights? ;)

If I'm not mistaken the only penalty on JHU was going early on the face off for the 3rd time with less than a minute left in the game.

Pretty remarkable considering all the body checks, clutching, pushing and whacking that was going on from Hopkins. And that was just on face offs.

The hit on NG was a textbook an illegal hit as you are going to see. Blindside to the head, ball 20 yds away. Huge moment in the game.

If I'm not mistaken the only penalty on JHU was going early on the face off for the 3rd time with less than a minute left in the game.

Pretty remarkable considering all the body checks, clutching, pushing and whacking that was going on from Hopkins. And that was just on face offs.

The hit on NG was a textbook an illegal hit as you are going to see. Blindside to the head, ball 20 yds away. Huge moment in the game.

They got hit with a slash penalty in the first quarter, that was the only live play flag the entire game for them which is just crazy.

I agree you dont see Desko get that heated for nothing, the hit was AWFUL! as Desko would say! you could hear during the game him saying that the player should be "OUT OF THE GAME"

Only 4 penalties were called during the entire game...

1st qtr 13:41 SU Jay McDermott 01:00 SLASHING
1st qtr 09:31 JHU Nick Fields 01:00 SLASHING
3rd qtr 11:20 SU Sean Young 00:30 DELAY OF GAME
4th qtr 00:34 JHU TEAM 00:30 FACEOFF VIOLATION

Something about three blind mice...

Only 4 penalties were called during the entire game...

1st qtr 13:41 SU Jay McDermott 01:00 SLASHING
1st qtr 09:31 JHU Nick Fields 01:00 SLASHING
3rd qtr 11:20 SU Sean Young 00:30 DELAY OF GAME
4th qtr 00:34 JHU TEAM 00:30 FACEOFF VIOLATION

Something about three blind mice...

Williams got lit up a couple of times.

I agree you dont see Desko get that heated for nothing, the hit was AWFUL! as Desko would say! you could hear during the game him saying that the player should be "OUT OF THE GAME"

I'm no lacrosse expert but that missed call was outrageous. It reminded me of that old NFL Films commercial where Sam Wyche is asking for a roughing the pass penalty and says "Oh, he's gonna live, but that is a penalty.''

This is not the only reason we lost but since we are piling on the officials. I am also very frustrated with the ways which the timer on is called. Hopkins was never called for it and we were called once I believe. Maybe I am forgetting one at the end of the game. It is very frustrating how Hop's strategy was to tire out our defense and wait for them to make an off ball mistake. I want a total shot clock.

This is not the only reason we lost but since we are piling on the officials. I am also very frustrated with the ways which the timer on is called. Hopkins was never called for it and we were called once I believe. Maybe I am forgetting one at the end of the game. It is very frustrating how Hop's strategy was to tire out our defense and wait for them to make an off ball mistake. I want a total shot clock.

If i'm not mistaken when we were called for a delay (timer on) only about a minute and 20 had run off the clock. I'll have to go back and find it to see for sure but I thought it was an absurd timer call at the time.

another thing i don't like about the timer is i believe when the time expires without a shot the ball isn't immediately awarded to the defense - like it would be in hoops. i might be imagining this but i believe hopkins didn't get a shot off once because the ball was on the ground (syracuse never had possession of the ball) yet when hopkins regained possession after the scrum they kept the ball and reset. Did this happen or am i drunk?

If i'm not mistaken when we were called for a delay (timer on) only about a minute and 20 had run off the clock. I'll have to go back and find it to see for sure but I thought it was an absurd timer call at the time.

another thing i don't like about the timer is i believe when the time expires without a shot the ball isn't immediately awarded to the defense - like it would be in hoops. i might be imagining this but i believe hopkins didn't get a shot off once because the ball was on the ground (syracuse never had possession of the ball) yet when hopkins regained possession after the scrum they kept the ball and reset. Did this happen or am i drunk?
I feel these two choices are not mutually exclusive.

Williams got lit up a couple of times.

There was one where he got destroyed to the mid section where the middie came across the line and launched while Williams was still trying to gather the ball. I didn't hear possession called prior to that so I was wondering why that wasn't called. Maybe they had called it immediately since Williams pulled it out, but he was still working to actually get it into his net at the point he got popped and gave up the ball. Anyone remember that play and if possession was actually called?

Were we the better team on Sunday? It didn't seem like it to me.

Were we the better team on Sunday? It didn't seem like it to me.
Well if the refs caused a 6 goal change in a one goal game - yeah I'd say we were.

Watched the game but had limited online access for a couple of days. Did I miss the outrage about the officiating? I began to lose count after awhile but I put the officiating (or lack thereof) as costing SU in the range of 5-7 goals. That is 5-7 goals in a 1 goal game. There of course is the 1 or 2 minute non-releasable that didn't even get a flag. Let's put that at somewhere between 1-3 goals. The clock started just late enough to allow a goal to count at the end of the period. In the 4th there was a slash in the Syracuse end that directly resulted in a goal 2 seconds later - no call. Also in the 4th when the SU player tripped over the back of the net - it was clearly the result of a moving screen - no call. A goal was the immediate result of that no call.

Because of all these no calls, SU had to play a pressing defense late which resulted in another goal. Also as a result of these no-calls - SU pulls the goalie = another goal.

I mean What?
I thought the Hopkins' goalie was outrageous. Won the game for them.

When the other team scores 16 goals, you didn't lose because of the refs.

When the other team scores 16 goals, you didn't lose because of the refs.
When you score 15 and have the refs make an approximate 6 goal swing you do.

There was one where he got destroyed to the mid section where the middie came across the line and launched while Williams was still trying to gather the ball. I didn't hear possession called prior to that so I was wondering why that wasn't called. Maybe they had called it immediately since Williams pulled it out, but he was still working to actually get it into his net at the point he got popped and gave up the ball. Anyone remember that play and if possession was actually called?
I remember the play clearly. I immediately thought that the Hopkins player had left early. The relay showed it was close, but I still think he launched himself across the line before possession was established..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom