Gbinije
Coleman
Roberson

Deep Bench

Joseph
Johnson
Patterson
Obokoh
What's that they say about the best laid plans...?

The frontcourt we almost had...Christmas, G-Mac & Grant... only Kentucky might be better.

depressing. Yet, not. Because we wouldn't be eligible for NCAAs anyways...

We Are Syracuse said:

We wouldn't be self imposing any postseason ban this year with that squad.

We Are Syracuse said:

Not true.

Every elite program takes early departure loses and keeps the train moving. Louisville lost a ton from last year and they're still a top 20 team, Kansas and Duke too. I get that JB got blind-sided but...

Madbiker said:
Every elite program takes early departure loses and keeps the train moving. Louisville lost a ton from last year and they're still a top 20 team, Kansas and Duke too. I get that JB got blind-sided but...

I can't think of an elite program that knew last minute they would lose a Grant, Ennis, McCullough and Coleman.

How about everybody's best-coach-in-the-nation Billy Donnovan and his red hot Florida Gators this season?
(example 1, I got some more if you'd like :))

Flynn was "2 and done"
Dion was "2 and done"
MCW was "2 and done"

Nobody's crystal ball had Ennis leaving after last season.

It's all JB's fault. If only we had started 20-5 last year instead of 25-0... ;):cool::p:D

really not looking forward to playing okafor next year with rak gone.

Yep.
3 NBA guys and a McD A.A., gone without really being able to replace them.
I think this is one of JB's best coaching jobs.

This isn't going to be a popular perspective, but I agree with your point. I think this was a solid, solid job by the coaching staff--especially given how out of synch the team was earlier in the year. They came a long way.

And despite all of the disappointing games, despite the injuries, etc. -- last week, only a handful of games separate us from the record of UNC / Louisville. If we'd won 2 more swing games [say, Villanova and one of the Pitt games] we might have been top 25, with a record matching two programs ranked in the upper teens.

Of course, we've now dropped the last two in lopsided fashion. But when we had 10 losses and were coming off of a ND victory, UNC had 7 losses and was ranked #16.

The results aren't nearly as pretty as what we're accustomed to, but this has been one of JB's better coaching jobs in a long time.

Last edited:
I can't think of an elite program that knew last minute they would lose a Grant, Ennis, McCullough and Coleman.

Grant and Ennis were not last minute. I think an elite program needs to accept that players will leave early, and unless you go the UK route of replacing 4-5 starters, you'll face some challenges.

The injuries forced other guys to play more minutes and exposed the weaknesses of the team. Most schools would kill for an 18-win "down" season. It's all about perspective.

i don't cry when someone leaves the top down and their leather seats get wet. think ahead.

How about everybody's best-coach-in-the-nation Billy Donnovan and his red hot Florida Gators this season?
(example 1, I got some more if you'd like :))

Michigan St has struggled also and has double digit losses. In just 2010 UNC was in the NIT.

Michigan St has struggled also and has double digit losses. In just 2010 UNC was in the NIT.

I was just going to point this about North Carolina in the NIT and Michigan State having a down year - Kentucky also as pearl31 stated. It's much more difficult to avoid down seasons in this day and age and then you add the injuries on top of Ennis and Grant leaving early

It definitely could be worse. We could be Texas or Florida. Those rosters are pretty loaded with more talent and fewer injuries/defections. Texas is probably NIT bound and Florida has been awful. Still, I am a bit concerned about this soph class. These guys weren't chopped liver coming in especially according to the experts. Tyler is a big mystery and very raw still. Kaleb is a BIG question mark moving forward heading into a soph season. Both haven't played anywhere near or have showed enough promise to justify those 4 star rankings. Not even close, imo. Far too much confusion and lack of/erosion of fundamentals as well being that it is March. That is a whole another subject and speculation.

I agree that the coaching staff has done yeoman's work in dragging this team to nine wins in conference this year. With the injuries and defections, I see only two guys playing now who I think are starters on a typical top-half ACC team and one, maybe two other guys who could be in the rotation on a top-half ACC team.

Where I fault the coaches is in never really coming up with an option at the 2 behind Cooney. This is his fourth year in the program, and next year will be the first time we bring someone in behind him who we expect to be able to play the 2 and to shoot a jump shot (unless they thought Paterson would be a shooter, which would suggest a completely different problem). As it turns out, Gbinije, who wasn't expected to be able to shoot at all, is the closest thing we have brought in terms of a player who could play the 2 and shoot a jump shot.

Our best teams have tended to have three guys play rotation minutes who can shoot a 3-pointer at least passably -- Melo, GMAC, Duany, or Wes, Rautins, and Triche.

Full_Rebar said:
Grant and Ennis were not last minute. I think an elite program needs to accept that players will leave early, and unless you go the UK route of replacing 4-5 starters, you'll face some challenges. The injuries forced other guys to play more minutes and exposed the weaknesses of the team. Most schools would kill for an 18-win "down" season. It's all about perspective.

They certainly were last minute in terms of being able to replace them. Certain kids you know are a good chance of one and done when you recruit them, including McCullough. Both these guys weren't even mentioned with the NBA until after the season started. And it's not about any one player. It's about the sheer quantity of 4.

tbonezone said:
i don't cry when someone leaves the top down and their leather seats get wet. think ahead.

Yes you should plan to not have 4 players (at least 3 starters) you planned on having just over a year ago. Nobody recruits that way.

It was the perfect storm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom