Did we really miss expectations? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Did we really miss expectations?

i guess i shouldn't feel too bad then when duke sweeps us again next year. given their inherent advantage and all . we can all get comfy in the back seat eating their crumbs from the upholstery.
If two of our starters defect to the league and two MCDAA are lost to injury then yeah, expect a repeat.

If two of our starters defect to the league and two MCDAA are lost to injury then yeah, expect a repeat.

this is a silly comment. Duke loses two guys to the pros every year. The excuses on this board take on new levels every day.

i guess i shouldn't feel too bad then when duke sweeps us again next year. given their inherent advantage and all . we can all get comfy in the back seat eating their crumbs from the upholstery.

If everyone simply had your high standard of excellence, and did not accept mediocrity, what a superior program this would be.

Thanks, at least, for doing your part.

this is a silly comment. Duke loses two guys to the pros every year. The excuses on this board take on new levels every day.

Do you honestly need someone to explain to you why Duke and Kentucky are better equipped to lose 2 players to early departure every year while maintaining a top 10 team??? This silliness is not in the comment but with your comparators.

If I had a feeling that Grant was not going to stay past sophomore year in June 2013 then the staff HAD to know something sooner.

And trying to use DJC in this argument is absurd. Yeah, he's a MCDAA...he's also been hurt since practically day one.assuming he was going to be a contributor was stupid, poor roster management,or both.

ok duke lost 2 1st rounders jabari parker fr and hood soph. and starter sulaimon. boo hoo.
are you saying we shoulddn't be able to compete with duke ?

If Okafor and Winslow go down with season ending injuries there is your other half.

exactly. no more mediocrity. thank you rosie. BOUIE plates.

lrmp_1008_09_o%2B1981_cadillac_fleetwood_brougham%2Bfront.jpg

tbonezone said:
ok duke lost 2 1st rounders jabari parker fr and hood soph. and starter sulaimon. boo hoo. are you saying we shoulddn't be able to compete with duke ?

Not apples to apples. Like Melo, Parker was a likely one and done. Sulomain was this year. Don't know about Cook. Keep trying.

If Okafor and Winslow go down with season ending injuries there is your other half.

I get your point, but Okafor + Winslow > Coleman + McCullough. By a lot.

JCDATHIRD said:
Overall, point taken. But any SU fan, even a casual one, knew that Grant was not likely to be back for his junior year even before his sophmore year started. Even average joe's like myself and guys i work/hang out with had talked about it from day 1 of last season. Ennis is a whole different story...

You must be smarter than the coaches. But we had CMac coming in. But like bone, you are trying to justify one player versus the impact of four.

docsu said:
If I had a feeling that Grant was not going to stay past sophomore year in June 2013 then the staff HAD to know something sooner. And trying to use DJC in this argument is absurd. Yeah, he's a MCDAA...he's also been hurt since practically day one.assuming he was going to be a contributor was stupid, poor roster management,or both.

So you expected the perfect storm of all 4? Good for you.

Instead of looking at Duke, look at Michigan as that's a better comparison. I don't like using the word "unexpected" when talking about Ennis and Grant leaving, but pretend they were seniors- losing them, CJ, Baye and then the CMAC injury is a lot for any program to recover from.

Not really.
2014 - 2
2013 - 0
2012 - 1
2011 - 1
2010 - 0
2009 - 1
2008 - 0
2007 - 0
2006 - 0
2005 - 1

The silly comments are the ones expecting the coaching staff to just brush off what amounts to massive attrition.

docsu said:
Weird...I don't remember saying that.

Weird, no you didn't but you tried to minimize the point with false beliefs that you called poor roster management.

Yes or no. Did losing all 4 players have a negative impact?

we knew early 2014 that cooney, patterson, joseph (some G) would likely be our backcourt.
and we rolled with it. these are the guys who JB himself hand picked to run the offense.

Have you considered he actually recruited others but they chose not to come to Syracuse, leaving you, me, and JB with something other than a "hand picked" team?

Briancuse said:
Am I missing something?

No

rrlbees said:
I can't think of an elite program that knew last minute they would lose a Grant, Ennis, McCullough and Coleman.
Michigan is basically the carbon copy of us. Over the last 2 years they have lost Trey Burke, Glen Robinson, Tim Hardaway, Mitch McGary, and Nik Staukas all early for the draft, plus Zac Irvin, and Levert suffered season ending injuries. Now jus like us they are looking to miss the tournament.

Same thing pretty much happened to Kentucky a few years ago with early departures and injuries.

anomander said:
Michigan is basically the carbon copy of us. Over the last 2 years they have lost Trey Burke, Glen Robinson, Tim Hardaway, Mitch McGary, and Nik Staukas all early for the draft, plus Zac Irvin, and Levert suffered season ending injuries. Now jus like us they are looking to miss the tournament. Same thing pretty much happened to Kentucky a few years ago with early departures and injuries.

Thanks. And each met the same fate.

Again, show me another where that happened. And when we were recruiting for this years class, I guarantee you you weren't thinking Ennis and Grant were going pro.
I agree. Maybe the coaches should start interviewing players' dads. :crazy:

early entries aside. any good prescient team manager would at least plan for one key injury (let's not even throw dc2 in here as he had no date to even return) and given SU 's past one suspension.

Michigan is basically the carbon copy of us. Over the last 2 years they have lost Trey Burke, Glen Robinson, Tim Hardaway, Mitch McGary, and Nik Staukas all early for the draft, plus Zac Irvin, and Levert suffered season ending injuries. Now jus like us they are looking to miss the tournament.

Same thing pretty much happened to Kentucky a few years ago with early departures and injuries.

Kentucky was National Champs in 2012.

They had a decent start in 2013, but lost Nerlins Noel, and the wheels came off.

They got bounced by Robert Morris in the 1st round of the NIT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom