difference between passer rating rank and YPG rank | Syracusefan.com

difference between passer rating rank and YPG rank

Millhouse

Living Legend
we have the biggest difference in FBS between our passer rating rank and our YPG rank. it is very unusual for a team that is decent at throwing to be so bad on offense.

we are very slow on offense, this is separate from our poor defense. Time of possession is 28:50 per game

this got nuked before, trying again.

Passing efficiency is a much more accurate gauge of quarterback production in the NFL than college because pro teams basically run the same offense. College offenses can range from wide open aerial attacks that rack up points like a pinball machine to running teams that rarely throw the ball. College passer ratings only reflect the number of passes the quarterback throws.

Dungey has been excellent at not throwing interceptions and this boosts his passing rating upward. He has also been able to have two or three long pass plays every game which spikes his yards per completion numbers up. These are positives that come out in his passing efficiency rating.

There are several reasons why Syracuse ranks so poor in passing offense (111th), total offense (115th) and first downs (108th). Dungey has been very inconsistent hitting long passes and his inability t0 complete these plays when we need them most has been evident throughout the season. The main reason our passing yardage totals are so low is he is has not learned to stay in the pocket or scramble around for time on passing plays. He takes off running far too early over and over. Shafer has criticized Dungey every week for this and I think this is the worst aspect of his game right now. For Syracuse to have a consistent passing attack we have to throw the ball more and that is not going to happen until Dungey overcomes his tendency to take off running.

Passing efficiency is a much more accurate gauge of quarterback production in the NFL than college because pro teams basically run the same offense. College offenses can range from wide open aerial attacks that rack up points like a pinball machine to running teams that rarely throw the ball. College passer ratings only reflect the number of passes the quarterback throws.

Dungey has been excellent at not throwing interceptions and this boosts his passing rating upward. He has also been able to have two or three long pass plays every game which spikes his yards per completion numbers up. These are positives that come out in his passing efficiency rating.

There are several reasons why Syracuse ranks so poor in passing offense (111th), total offense (115th) and first downs (108th). Dungey has been very inconsistent hitting long passes and his inability t0 complete these plays when we need them most has been evident throughout the season. The main reason our passing yardage totals are so low is he is has not learned to stay in the pocket or scramble around for time on passing plays. He takes off running far too early over and over. Shafer has criticized Dungey every week for this and I think this is the worst aspect of his game right now. For Syracuse to have a consistent passing attack we have to throw the ball more and that is not going to happen until Dungey overcomes his tendency to take off running.

An excellent analysis that was clearly stated.

all passer ratings end up being calculated as rates (per attempt).

i agree that college offenses are much more different than the NFL - it's part of what makes college so fun

my only point with this post is that most schools have a tighter link between how efficient their passer is per pass and how many yards they pick up per game.

something is pretty weird here. we run a lot more than we ought to, we play really slow, and our defense stinks.

I think Dungey's deep passes have been great. There's an accuracy we haven't seen in quite awhile. Unfortunately, something negative often happens. Either we get a needless Offensive PI call, we get a no call on an obvious PI call against us. We have an XB who doesn't have an awareness of how to find a pass over 20 yards.

I also think we've been terrible at picking up blitzes. FSU kept calling them, so Dungey was running for his life. If he stayed in the pocket, he'd be out with an upper body injury this week.

We need to pass protect better, pick up blitzes. And I think we need better WRs. Not enough of them.

I think Dungey's deep passes have been great. There's an accuracy we haven't seen in quite awhile. Unfortunately, something negative often happens. Either we get a needless Offensive PI call, we get a no call on an obvious PI call against us. We have an XB who doesn't have an awareness of how to find a pass over 20 yards.

I also think we've been terrible at picking up blitzes. FSU kept calling them, so Dungey was running for his life. If he stayed in the pocket, he'd be out with an upper body injury this week.

We need to pass protect better, pick up blitzes. And I think we need better WRs. Not enough of them.
One announcer on Saturday pointed out Dungey puts a lot of air under almost all his throws over 20 yds or so, which I've noticed too. Don't know whether it's arm strength at this stage of his career, if it is ought to be correctable for those throws better made on a flatter trajectory.

all passer ratings end up being calculated as rates (per attempt).

i agree that college offenses are much more different than the NFL - it's part of what makes college so fun

my only point with this post is that most schools have a tighter link between how efficient their passer is per pass and how many yards they pick up per game.

something is pretty weird here. we run a lot more than we ought to, we play really slow, and our defense stinks.

I do not believe we call too many running plays. I do think our quarterback takes off running too much which inflates the number of rushing plays and decreases the number of pass attempts. This is why our passing yardage totals are so out of whack. If the offensive coordinator calls twelve passing plays which end up being runs, our yardage totals are going to reflect this. Dungey's passing yardage per game numbers are so low because of this.

I have been seeing this all season and am not trying to direct this to Saturday's game. I didn't see Shafer bring up Dungey's rushing totals after Florida State. That defense was a different beast.

Reactions: 007
domestu said:
I do not believe we call too many running plays. I do think our quarterback takes off running too much which inflates the number of rushing plays and decreases the number of pass attempts. This is why our passing yardage totals are so out of whack. If the offensive coordinator calls twelve passing plays which end up being runs, our yardage totals are going to reflect this. Dungey's passing yardage per game numbers are so low because of this. I have been seeing this all season and am not trying to direct this to Saturday's game. I didn't see Shafer bring up Dungey's rushing totals after Florida State. That defense was a different beast.

I didn't mind him running because it was all we had. Their CB's are NFL players. No where to go on the outside = significant portion of your offense not working anymore.

I expect some of that vs Louisville (but not to the same extent), the same type performance vs Clemson (though we are better on O at home). NC State is the one team we should be able to throw on. BC is good on D everywhere.

domestu said:
I do not believe we call too many running plays. I do think our quarterback takes off running too much which inflates the number of rushing plays and decreases the number of pass attempts. This is why our passing yardage totals are so out of whack. If the offensive coordinator calls twelve passing plays which end up being runs, our yardage totals are going to reflect this. Dungey's passing yardage per game numbers are so low because of this. I have been seeing this all season and am not trying to direct this to Saturday's game. I didn't see Shafer bring up Dungey's rushing totals after Florida State. That defense was a different beast.
it is 60/40 run/pass. There aren't than many premature scrambles

it is 60/40 run/pass. There aren't than many premature scrambles
I would love to see us throw more and am not trying to argue with your basic points. I think we have more talent for the passing game than the run game this season.

The 60/40 run/pass percentage covers the entire season. Our first three games we ran the ball much more than that. RI 58-20, WF 37-14, CM 30-17. The last five games we have rushed 173 times and passed 150 times. Dungey's premature scrambling on pass plays when he was not really under a lot of pressure has definitely altered the ratio the past five games. On many of his 35 running plays in the South Florida and Virginia games, he took off too early on plays where he was supposed to pass. SU would have had more pass plays than runs the last five games if he kept his composure in those two games.

I first noticed Dungey's tendency to do this in the Wake Forest Game and have looked at how he handles these plays ever since. He did a much better job in the Pitt game and I expect we will see more improvement from him in these situations in future games.