Dino Babers- Why Cant Syracuse Go From Worst To First? | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers- Why Cant Syracuse Go From Worst To First?

Got this video from TheACC.com

He says he took a team from worst place to first place, first year, in its conference before. Why cant it be done again?

Dino Babers Tells Awesome Coaching Story, Says Syracuse Can Shock ACC | Videos

Love the attitude.

...then I remember what our defensive end situation is. And OL. And depth. And the size of WRs in the league versus our corners. And that we play Clemson and Florida State.

Alleluia if the man hits 6-6 this year, though it's nice to think about a shot at first place at some point.

Love the attitude.

...then I remember what our defensive end situation is. And OL. And depth. And the size of WRs in the league versus our corners. And that we play Clemson and Florida State.

Alleluia if the man hits 6-6 this year, though it's nice to think about a shot at first place at some point.

At some point, fans need to list the positives, not only the few negatives. Tough schedule, no doubt. But Dungey put up the most passing yards of any SU frosh QB, in our history. Fredericks -- 3rd in rushing by a frosh RB, in our history (and Strickland is at least as good, or better). Best set of WRs we have had in several years, and depth behind the starters. More depth at LB than we have had in years. 8 or 9 returning DBs who have played and should be better this time around, plus a very deep recruiting class at that position. Last season we had 5 true frosh who had an impact (Dungey, Fredericks, Strickland, Clark, Whitner) plus the RS-F at DT; there will be another group of true frosh (Neal & Ruff for sure) plus more RS-F (Henderson at LB; Fredrick at CB). The depth is building. OL, we lost 3 starters, but the replacements are bigger.

DE is an issue (obvious), but every other unit is better than last season, except our punter. If Dino Babers & his offensive coordinators are the real deal (and I believe they are), why wouldn't this team be capable of an upset or two, and a bowl season?

We lost some close games to some tough competition last year. The team was very young and the in-game coaching was completely inept.

I'm unreasonably optimistic right now, although, I usually start to feel this way every July/August.

Biggest two issues to me are the offensive tackles and the defensive backs. If you get decent production for those two units I can see a bowl game this season.

Best set of WRs we have had in several years, and depth behind the starters.
I agree with all of your points, with the exception of this one. Let me preface this by saying I think all of our wideouts will be much improved this season.

That said, I'm not bully about this unit. Ishmael is a stud, and Estime and Phillips are fine (I like Bris better on specials than on offense.) After that, Cornelius had two stand out games in 2013, Avant has done nothing, Custis has seen two years go by, and Enoicy has never set foot on the field. Womack and Perkins are still learning the position.

Etta-Tawo, Butler, or Riley needs to make an impact for the wide outs to have any depth. Or the walk-ons, Austin or Hahn, could make a difference for different reasons.

Regardless, Ish, Bris, and Erv are going to catch passes. But we need more guys to share the load.

Love the attitude.

With a new coach, new system and one of the toughest schedules in the nation. 6-6 will be considered a great coaching job. Eastern Illinois had good players there already and its a lower level conference. The higher the level the harder to go from last to first in 1 year.

The easiest answer to this question is, "Because we weren't worst. That would be BC."
Thought the exact same. We've never been the worst, for starters. Can't further that untruth. Most analysts say that yearly and it blows. It's lazy to make that assumption and ticks me off yearly. I imagine Andrea Adelson has no idea we've never lost to Wake and have beaten BC 2 out of 3. Ugh

Step 1 - Make the team believe

Step 2 - Well, a lot of things.

Can't wait to start this ride!
Considering the facts we had lots of injuries, played tough competition and were in many games, any improvement should be enough for a bowl game. Improvement across the board could lead to several wins that most do not expect and surprising the CFB world.

The talent level on this roster is far better than our outcomes/record the last 4 years. Dino and the coaches may have been pleasantly surprised after spring ball. Dino will always tell you its gonna take time and yes, he wants to optimize the roster with his style recruit; but he is coaching with a wiley smirk this year;)

I agree with all of your points, with the exception of this one. Let me preface this by saying I think all of our wideouts will be much improved this season.

That said, I'm not bully about this unit. Ishmael is a stud, and Estime and Phillips are fine (I like Bris better on specials than on offense.) After that, Cornelius had two stand out games in 2013, Avant has done nothing, Custis has seen two years go by, and Enoicy has never set foot on the field. Womack and Perkins are still learning the position.

Etta-Tawo, Butler, or Riley needs to make an impact for the wide outs to have any depth. Or the walk-ons, Austin or Hahn, could make a difference for different reasons.

Regardless, Ish, Bris, and Erv are going to catch passes. But we need more guys to share the load.

By best set of receivers, I meant the starters -- Ishmael, Phillips & Estime, and Cornelius. The first three proved it on the field last season (when healthy), and Cornelius looked very good in the Spring game. For depth, Etta-Tawo had a dozen starts over 3 seasons at MD, and Womack looked good in our Spring game. I expect Butler will surprise people. 7 contributors -- that is plenty, even in a fast-paced offense.

We really are better across the board, all units (except DE). Just keep Dungey healthy, and this will be a bowl season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom