Dino's Week 7 Va Tech Press Conference | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Week 7 Va Tech Press Conference

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1
chris carlson ‏@ccarlsononSU
Syracuse coach Dino Babers praises defense and special teams for performance at Wake Forest.

Dino: kudos to Cam MacPherson, Franklin and Bennett for playing well last weekend

Babers: Fuente is an outstanding offensive coach, Bud Foster is an outstanding defensive coach.

Syracuse coach Dino Babers says one player making a mistake on offense can be more damaging than defense.

Babers on halftime adjustments: We're not changing QBs. ... Says one assignment is difference between success/failure.

Babers: Downplays fatigue factor.

Syracuse coach Dino Babers on Kendall Coleman's targeting: "I think it was a bang-bang play. I think it could've been called either way."

Babers said he's hoping for a reversal. If not, Coleman must sit out the first half of the Virginia Tech game.

Dino: transition from option offense to more passing concept-based offense now is attributing to offensive inconsistencies

Babers on tempo: The QBs, centers and guards have a lot to do. So does the defense. ... We talk about putting pressure on the defense.

Babers: Wake Forest did some nice things that took advantage of some of our young kids inside.

Babers: I thought the QB (Dungey) was extremely courageous the entire football team. If we'd run he might have been fresher (in good weather)

Syracuse coach Dino Babers reiterates SU should've run more early at Wake Forest. The hits Dungey took limited passing game in 2nd half.

Syracuse coach Dino Babers said he's still waiting for WR Jamal Custis to be 100%. Unclear if he'll redshirt but he did travel to WFU.

Syracuse coach Dino Babers said the team is still competing to make a bowl game. Staff is not thinking about redshirting someone like JC.

Babers: The toughest thing this season has been the loss of personnel, going back to teaching it at the level of the weakest link

Babers when pressed for a midterm grade. "I don't want to grade it. You guys can. I'll coach it and I'll get it better." #OrangeNation

Dino Babers keep calling VT head coach Justin Fuente "Fuentes."

Babers on Virginia Tech: Their scheme on offense works. I saw it up close when they scored 44 points on us last year.

Syracuse coach Dino Babers said two of Emerich, Palmer and Conway are likely done for the year. Declined to specify who could return.

Dino: our good players have to play good all the time because we don't have enough good players.

Babers: I don't consider myself to be average. I don't consider my coaches to be average. Against Wake Forest we were just OK.

Last edited:
Syracuse Football ‏@CuseFootball
"I thought our defense played extremely well. I thought our young men in the kicking game handled the weather well...

We just wish our offense played a little bit sharper, but I thought we had some outstanding offensive performances" - Babers

"We can't wait to get back in the @CarrierDome44. No rain, no wind, no snow..." @CoachBabersCuse

"When it's slick like that there are things we are doing that we have to adjust." - @CoachBabersCuse on Saturday's weather conditions.

"I think we're still growing. There have been some short comings, there have been positives but we're growing as a team."

"Defensively they're physical and extremely well coached and their offensive scheme works." - @CoachBabersCuse on Virginia Tech

"We have some really good players and the thing we have to do is to make sure that our really good players always play well."

Last edited:
Syracuse coach Dino Babers said two of Emerich, Palmer and Conway are likely done for the year. Declined to specify who could return.

So much for that.

Coaches are funny. They won't admit when they are wrong and then double down on it.

The first three drives we tried to run the ball. We had a few short conservative passes on 2nd down. Then we were forced to throw on 3rd down.

1st down plays we ran it all three times for 1 total yard.
2nd down plays we ran it once, threw a short screen, and a short pass for 9 total yards.
That resulted in a 3rd and 6, 8, and 11 (after a false start).
In total we had 10 yards combined in three drives.

We were too conservative. Does he really think that running instead of those two short passes changes things? We still would have had three 3 and outs. Then we have the 4th drive:

Three 1st down plays all passes for 31 total yards.
2nd down was a sack. Maybe we could have run it here.
3rd down was incomplete.
This drive resulted in 24 yards. That isn't great but it sure beats the 3.33 yard average of the previous three drives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom