Dion skips national anthem b/c he's Muslim? | Syracusefan.com

Dion skips national anthem b/c he's Muslim?

He won't stand for out anthem yet his only contribution to society(himself) is collecting money for entertaining Americans by playing a game that was invented in the USA.
Perhaps he would be more comfortable with his conscience and faith if he were being paid to entertain the citizens of an Islamist state or maybe the $$$ helps him selectively overlook some of our flaws in this country.

image.jpg
Good for him. Completely ridiculous that it's played before every game.

Oh LordOh LordOh LordOh LordOh Lord
There was a kid when I was younger (that I think went to lsu and maybe played for nugz) and I remember it being a detriment to his nba career.

Why are we playing the national anthem before sporting events? What do the two have to do with each other? How many guys playing aren't even from this country?
Doesn't basically every country in the world do this?

If you read the NEOMG's story carefully, Waiters didn't say he was deliberately protesting the anthem because of his faith. He said he was "in the locker room" because of his faith. That may have meant he was praying, whatever, not that he was choosing to be unpatriotic. I think SB nation, and our own Post Standard, rushed to judgment on this for the shock value of accusing Dion of of dissing his country. They got exactly the nationalist reaction on here that they were looking for.

Obviously, the accusation was unfounded because Waiters was there for the NA against the Nugs last night. I don't think he hated his country on Wednesday because he's Muslim, but suddenly loved his country 2 days later.

And not for nothing, but in the Nugs game he was shoved hard in mid air by Darrell Arthur -- who was promptly ejected for a Flagrant 2. THAT was the sports story that should have been reported .. not this other BS.

Last edited:
It's possible. But my question is why.
It was intended to be played at public events. How it got to be a part of sports...I'd guess that we mimicked what we had seen other countries do (at the Olympics and such) and probably has something to do with the timing of these leagues burgeoning around the time of war, especially baseball.

Why are we playing the national anthem before sporting events? What do the two have to do with each other? How many guys playing aren't even from this country?

It really isn't about the players, its an expression of nationalism/patriotism for the benefit of the fans in attendance.

Why do we play it at any time?
AS A TRIBUTE TO OUR COUNTRY.
I like the NA and I think we should have it as a tribute to our country. It's also a reminder of the troops that keep us safe and protect our democracy. That doesn't mean that a player who misses the NA on wednesday, and attends friday, should be labeled unpatriotic. But that's "journalism" today.

If you read the NEMG's story carefully, Waiters didn't say he was deliberately protesting the anthem because of his faith. He said he was "in the locker room" because of his faith. That may have meant he was praying, whatever. But there's a difference. I think SB nation, and our own Post Standard, rushed to judgment on this for the shock value of accusing Dion of being unpatriotic. They got exactly the nationalist reaction on here that they were looking for.

Obviously, the accusation was unfounded -- Waiters was there for the NA against the Nugs last night. I don't think he converted to Christianity between Wednesday and Friday. And not for nothing, but in the Nugs game he was shoved hard in mid air by Darrell Arthur -- who was promptly ejected for a Flagrant 2. THAT was the sports story that should have been reported .. not this other BS.

Why shouldn't it be reported? Dion is being a knucklehead. My guess is the Cavaliers (and hopefully his agent as well) told him to get his a55 out of the locker room and toe the line or suffer the consequences. I wouldn't be surprised if the NBA stepped in on this one also. I'm sure the NBA recognizes that it isn't in its interest to have players thumbing their nose at something that most fans view as pretty important.

The last thing Dion needs to do is cause an off court controversy and put himself even more under the microscope than he already is.

Why shouldn't it be reported? Dion is being a knucklehead. My guess is the Cavaliers (and hopefully his agent as well) told him to get his a55 out of the locker room and toe the line or suffer the consequences. I wouldn't be surprised if the NBA stepped in on this one also. I'm sure the NBA recognizes that it isn't in its interest to have players thumbing their nose at something that most fans view as pretty important.

The last thing Dion needs to do is cause an off court controversy and put himself even more under the microscope than he already is.
Actually, I agree with all of this accept the reporting was sleazy. As you point out, Waiters has had enough trouble. He should be out there like every other player showing respect for the flag and doing his job. Maybe he was pissed that he's not starting. Not sure.

None of that justifies the accusation that he's unpatriotic because he's Muslim.

It just seems arbitrary as to when it is played. There are more issues I have with it but enough people don't like me on here already :p
It is arbitrary!!!! What would you like - a law?