Dion waiters | Syracusefan.com

Dion waiters

CusefanATL

2018 Iggy Post Season Record NCAA Winner
SportsCenterVerified account‏@SportsCenter
Crazy Stat of Day: Dion Waiters has missed more layups (14) than he's made this season (13).
CULcM7OWwAAVs23.jpg

SportsCenterVerified account‏@SportsCenter
Crazy Stat of Day: Dion Waiters has missed more layups (14) than he's made this season (13).
CULcM7OWwAAVs23.jpg

I was flipping through channels last night and watched maybe 5 minutes of Thunder/Pelicans. Within 10 seconds of tuning in, Waiters made a great steal and had a breakaway with no one within 30 feet of him, and just totally blew it.

He's shooting well from deep this year, but his 2pt% stinks. He looks out of shape!

He is shooting the same % from 3

Nice avatar pic. I sure hope Coach Hop is not wearing that thing when the ACC season starts. It's pretty noticeable.

Nice avatar pic. I sure hope Coach Hop is not wearing that thing when the ACC season starts. It's pretty noticeable.

He had it off for the St. Bonaventure game so I think he's free of the cone of shame.

He had it off for the St. Bonaventure game so I think he's free of the cone of shame.

I would just hate for his national TV debut as head coach for the neck brace to be the topic of all the color commentary. Now we will have the same old cliche's about the 2-3 zone instead. "The Orange recruit for the zone bla bla bla" OMG, its the same 5 comments every game!

Crazy part is there was no one aside from Dion I wanted stealing the ball going to the other end even with a dude or two back to defend. He almost always flushed it with authority his Soph. year.

Hell, he's giving them about 10 ppg and 4rpg in about 28 mpg, shooting 46% from deep and 85% from the line. But let's focus on his missed layups.

Well that's part of the reason despite the 46% from 3 he's got a 51.7 true shooting, which is pretty bad. (Though Serge Ibaka is somehow below 50%)

Well that's part of the reason despite the 46% from 3 he's got a 51.7 true shooting, which is pretty bad. (Though Serge Ibaka is somehow below 50%)
Well I realize missing the layups is not good, but it's probably an aberration. But the 3pt percentage is probably an aberration too. I see he's shooting less frequently as well. Hopefully he can blend in and find a role there and then cash in.

I was flipping through channels last night and watched maybe 5 minutes of Thunder/Pelicans. Within 10 seconds of tuning in, Waiters made a great steal and had a breakaway with no one within 30 feet of him, and just totally blew it.
I tuned in at that exact moment too. He just looks so disinterested on the court. If he doesn't have the ball, he is barely moving and flat footed. His body language is terrible. Can't believe he is still playing as much as he is. In a contract year, I would think he'd be more dedicated, but he isn't.

I tuned in at that exact moment too. He just looks so disinterested on the court. If he doesn't have the ball, he is barely moving and flat footed. His body language is terrible. Can't believe he is still playing as much as he is. In a contract year, I would think he'd be more dedicated, but he isn't.

He thinks Philly is giving him a max deal.

Crazy part is there was no one aside from Dion I wanted stealing the ball going to the other end even with a dude or two back to defend. He almost always flushed it with authority his Soph. year.

I took my 9 year old son, he was 9 at the time, to St. Johns game and after that he thought he was Dion Waiters when he played basketball! My son got really good driving to the basket for the next couple of years after that game!

Last edited:
Well I realize missing the layups is not good, but it's probably an aberration. But the 3pt percentage is probably an aberration too. I see he's shooting less frequently as well. Hopefully he can blend in and find a role there and then cash in.

Agreed both are an aberration, but his career true shooting is actually even worse than he's doing this year, 48.8%. Maybe he's just a tad more efficient because he's not shooting as much (in the early going he has a lot fewer shots at the rim) but this is year 4 and he's never been a productive shooter, and most of his appeal is meant to be scoring based.

Some guys do improve considerably as deep shooters as their careers progress. Hope that is the case for him. He definitely has the tools to be a more efficient scorer and is yet to turn 24, but the clock is ticking and his performance this season is obviously critical to determining his marketability.

He thinks Philly is giving him a max deal.
I saw that. I truly think he could get cut and be out of the league before he gets a deal anywhere. I think OKC is trying to make him into Harden 2.0 and it is failing. As much as I would love to see him stick around, imo he is done, unless he steps it up. He was 2-10 yesterday with 4 points, a couple uncontested rebounds, and played horrible d. Without KD on the floor he needs to take advantage of these minutes. He was also benched in the final critical mins. Guy can't get out of his own way. He's gotta see he isn't the best player on the floor. He thinks going to Philly will make him the man. Okafor will be that guy. He couldn't play with Kyrie, LeBron, and now Westrook and KD. Bad.

Agreed both are an aberration, but his career true shooting is actually even worse than he's doing this year, 48.8%. Maybe he's just a tad more efficient because he's not shooting as much (in the early going he has a lot fewer shots at the rim) but this is year 4 and he's never been a productive shooter, and most of his appeal is meant to be scoring based.

He's actually a pretty successful NBA player. Just look at all the D-League'rs who never get to play on the court!

Agreed. I haven't seen all of his games. Certainly most of the Cavs' ones during that debacle since I live here. Last night was really alarming how disinterested he was. Just trotting around. Weird since Durant is out which should mean more oppotunities for him. Can't imagine Billy Donovan will let this continue without some message sent...fewer minutes, DNP's, etc.

He is a very talented player who is going to have a long career because of spurts of greatness. However, I see nothing this year or any year in his NBA career where he demonstrates that he has appeared to turn a corner in preparation and dedication. I've watched quite a few of their games this year and there have been more nights he appeared disinterested rather than engaged.

Even more shocking than that stat is that he can barely dribble or penetrate with his right hand. I know you won't believe this, just go watch him play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom