Dion's first test? | Syracusefan.com

Dion's first test?

Fireball Jr.

All American
The eyes of Ohio are upon him, Dion's shot-taking, and lack of shot-making, the last 2 games are comin' under a little scrutiny. http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2014/10/david_blatt_on_dion_waiters_le.html

I watched part of the second half last night, Dion clearly wasn't shy about shooting and it didn't help that he was 4 for 15 (after 4-14 the previous game), but he wasn't running with LeBron and Kyrie and Love, he was working with Dallaedova and Kirk. Plus, Carlisle went Boeheim on the Cavs and Dion was about the only guy able to get off a shot against the zone.

Dion won't be leading the team in shots once the season gets going, he can't be, I'm sure he knows that. He's a kid (what's he, 22?), and ego and bravado and all that aside, I have to believe he sees what a great situation he's in and doesn't wanna blow it. And, if he forgets, I'm sure LeBron and Blatt and Matrix and some other respected "old heads" will kindly remind him.

Dion is definitely the Mario Chalmers of this Cavs team. It will be interesting to see how he handles the scrutiny.

Dion has more ability in his pinky toe than Mario Chalmers does.

He's nothing like Mario Chalmers.

Yes but I think he means more of the pecking order factor and/or futher down the trough to warrant getting enough shots up for Dion to be satisfied. Potentially too many for LeBron's taste. It will be interesting to see how into team ball Dion will or won't be.

Dion has more ability in his pinky toe than Mario Chalmers does.

He's nothing like Mario Chalmers.

I meant in terms of being the potential scape goat, not talent. Chalmers used to really catch a bunch of stuff when things weren't going well and he was trying to do too much. Dion has to play within himself because if he's out there chucking and the Cavs lose, he won't be sticking around.

I meant in terms of being the potential scape goat, not talent. Chalmers used to really catch a bunch of stuff when things weren't going well and he was trying to do too much. Dion has to play within himself because if he's out there chucking and the Cavs lose, he won't be sticking around.
IMHO Dion playing within himself has always been a major problem. He always believes his shot is going to drop. Some games it does but others, ugh. LBJ will have to talk to the boy.

Dion is definitely the Mario Chalmers of this Cavs team. It will be interesting to see how he handles the scrutiny.

I know the Grantland hipster said it, but let's not get on that meme bandwagon.

I get that he's the "scapegoat" on the team, but comparing him to Mario Chalmers really marginalizes his talent in my opinion. It's just a lazy comparison.

The eyes of Ohio are upon him, Dion's shot-taking, and lack of shot-making, the last 2 games are comin' under a little scrutiny. http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2014/10/david_blatt_on_dion_waiters_le.html

I watched part of the second half last night, Dion clearly wasn't shy about shooting and it didn't help that he was 4 for 15 (after 4-14 the previous game), but he wasn't running with LeBron and Kyrie and Love, he was working with Dallaedova and Kirk. Plus, Carlisle went Boeheim on the Cavs and Dion was about the only guy able to get off a shot against the zone.

Dion won't be leading the team in shots once the season gets going, he can't be, I'm sure he knows that. He's a kid (what's he, 22?), and ego and bravado and all that aside, I have to believe he sees what a great situation he's in and doesn't wanna blow it. And, if he forgets, I'm sure LeBron and Blatt and Matrix and some other respected "old heads" will kindly remind him.

Dion also played significantly more minutes this preseason than Lebron, Irving, or Love. Lebron sat out a few games and played limited minutes in others. Irving missed several games. It makes sense that the good scorer that is actually playing a lot, is taking the most shots.

When you're on a contender, you've gotta deal with bored people creating stories out of nothing.

I'm 100% positive that if Lebron, Kyrie, and Love are playing their normal amount of minutes, Dion will be nowhere close to leading the team in shots. What a dumb question...the Coach shouldn't have even entertained it with that much of a response.

I know the Grantland hipster said it, but let's not get on that meme bandwagon.

I get that he's the "scapegoat" on the team, but comparing him to Mario Chalmers really marginalizes his talent in my opinion. It's just a lazy comparison.

What's lazy about it? Both guys have a track record of not being strong on defense and looking too much for their own shots. As for talent, Dion might have more, but Chalmers' also has a better record of team success going back to Kansas- he made big shots in March, did Dion?

Yes but I think he means more of the pecking order factor and/or futher down the trough to warrant getting enough shots up for Dion to be satisfied. Potentially too many for LeBron's taste. It will be interesting to see how into team ball Dion will or won't be.

Its not a matter of a pecking order in my view. It's a matter of being inefficient and chucking on a team that has too much talent and does not need that. If he wants to play a role on good teams, he needs to have self control.

Hopefully this is simply an element of it being preseason and others playing less, and he will adjust as the season progresses.

Its not a matter of a pecking order in my view. It's a matter of being inefficient and chucking on a team that has too much talent and does not need that. If he wants to play a role on good teams, he needs to have self control.

Hopefully this is simply an element of it being preseason and others playing less, and he will adjust as the season progresses.

Oh for sure. The potential chucking and inefficient play is a given. Just highlighting a potential not as obvious issue. There will be a pecking order there IMO. Love wasn't brought in to not be a feature player. Dion will need to learn how to fit in with those guys. In Cleveland the younger inmates were running the asylum the last few seasons. Not anymore.

Oh for sure. The potential chucking and inefficient play is a given. Just highlighting a potential not as obvious issue. There will be a pecking order there IMO. Love wasn't brought in to not be a feature player. Dion will need to learn how to fit in with those guys. In Cleveland the younger inmates were running the asylum the last few seasons. Not anymore.
LeBron, Love and Kyrie haven't had much of a run together during preseason, so Blatt says he's gonna treat tonight's exhibition with the Bulls like a regular season game in terms of minutes and rotation. We'll get a clearer picture of how things should look when the season starts next week. Dion, I'm pretty sure (at least, I hope), will fit in just fine. (His quote in 2nd graf indicates he "gets it" https://sports.yahoo.com/news/lebro...and-cleveland--with-leadership-022309252.html)

Last edited:
What's lazy about it? Both guys have a track record of not being strong on defense and looking too much for their own shots. As for talent, Dion might have more, but Chalmers' also has a better record of team success going back to Kansas- he made big shots in March, did Dion?

They're completely different players. They both have track records of playing guard, being "polarizing", being the 4th or 5th best guy on the team, and playing with Lebron James, that's about it. That's the comparison everyone is basing this off of. That's why it's lazy.

Dion went to the Elite Eight as a 6th man. He was plenty clutch when he needed to be, particularly in a Big East matchup we lost where he sunk 6 or 7 3-pointers. I don't remember him getting an opportunity to hit a game-tying bucket in the Championship game. He also has never played on any team as good as Chalmers has. Kansas or Miami. Until now. Chalmers has had a very lucky career.

He was plenty clutch when he needed to be, particularly in a Big East matchup we lost where he sunk 6 or 7 3-pointers.

I thought this comment was fitting-his best clutch game came in a loss. Look he's got a great opportunity to change the narrative and I hope he does, but people say these things about him for a reason. Let's hope he is ready to take advantage of the situation he's been given.

I thought this comment was fitting-his best clutch game came in a loss. Look he's got a great opportunity to change the narrative and I hope he does, but people say these things about him for a reason. Let's hope he is ready to take advantage of the situation he's been given.

Rule #1. Never criticize a Syracuse player past or present on here. ;)

*Except for Scoop Jardine, Paul Harris, and whoever the current starting quarterback is.

I think many fans fail to realize how good Scoop really was. It would be good for them to look at career numbers of many of our PG's over the years and compare them to Scoops. fg%, 3pt%, assist to turnover, wins and losses, etcetera. They would find he rates considerably better than guys like Hart and Red.

Too much over reaction about Dion. He will fit in just fine in the regular rotation. Essentially so far Dion has been the #1 option playing with the 2nd team. He hasn't left the court much since he's also been starting and playing with Lebron, Irving and Love but they haven't spent much time together. When he is on the floor with Dellavadova, Joe Harris, James Jones, and Alex Kirk he is going to take a lot of shots.

I think many fans fail to realize how good Scoop really was. It would be good for them to look at career numbers of many of our PG's over the years and compare them to Scoops. fg%, 3pt%, assist to turnover, wins and losses, etcetera. They would find he rates considerably better than guys like Hart and Red.

He was a good player but his mistakes came at the worst times during games.

He was a good player but his mistakes came at the worst times during games.

As a starter he was very successful and he was a key cog on the excellent 09 squad. As a senior he was excellent in the late middle portion of the conference schedule and carried the team for a good 7 game stretch. Whatever the timing of his mistakes he made far fewer than a vast majority of the pg's we have had. He drove me crazy at times as well but its disingenuous to focus on his mistakes without giving his full body of work the credit it was due. He is a top 10ish pg when you look at numbers and wins

Too much over reaction about Dion. He will fit in just fine in the regular rotation. Essentially so far Dion has been the #1 option playing with the 2nd team. He hasn't left the court much since he's also been starting and playing with Lebron, Irving and Love but they haven't spent much time together. When he is on the floor with Dellavadova, Joe Harris, James Jones, and Alex Kirk he is going to take a lot of shots.
If Dion wasn't taking a lot of shots while playing with that bunch then I think we would all be concerned lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom