Dion's learning curve | Syracusefan.com

Dion's learning curve

Watch some of OKC's games. He isn't asked to do much, if anything, on offense, and he had an absolutely atrocious stretch this year, but his defense is very much improved and he's become a very good role player for them off the bench.

Watch some of OKC's games. He isn't asked to do much, if anything, on offense, and he had an absolutely atrocious stretch this year, but his defense is very much improved and he's become a very good role player for them off the bench.

I guess? a 2 guard who has shot below 40% each of the last 2 years. That works if you're Bruce Bowen or something.

Is this the last year of his contract?

Yeah he didn't sign an extension last year. OKC I guess will make the qualifying offer so he's a restricted FA? Not sure actually.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2016/04/17/95577/
Dion sounds like he's really matured. Nice article.

Good article, nice post.

"This season, things finally fell into place for the Thunder and Waiters, as he played in 78 games for the 55-27 Thunder. Waiters made his playoff debut last night in the Thunder’s 108-70 win over the Mavericks. Waiters chalks up his 1-of-9 shooting game to being overexcited. But it’s worth noting, Waiters also netted a +17 plus/minus rating thanks to two rebounds, two steals, three assists, and making an effort on the defensive end."

Maybe this will finally put to rest that Orange players can play defense in the NBA. I doubt it but it would be nice to stop hearing the inane comment that playing the 2-3 zone has anything to do with playing good M2M defense. I think playing 2-3 zone requires much more energy and aggressive play so I would argue playing the 2-3 zone makes you a better athlete overall.

I played with a teammate who told me after getting her pass stolen when I questioned why she never got past half court - she said she needed to conserve her energy for offense. Most important aspect of defense is just plain effort and focus.

The zone isn't easier to play, it's just easier to try to blame someone else.

Good article, nice post.

"This season, things finally fell into place for the Thunder and Waiters, as he played in 78 games for the 55-27 Thunder. Waiters made his playoff debut last night in the Thunder’s 108-70 win over the Mavericks. Waiters chalks up his 1-of-9 shooting game to being overexcited. But it’s worth noting, Waiters also netted a +17 plus/minus rating thanks to two rebounds, two steals, three assists, and making an effort on the defensive end."

Maybe this will finally put to rest that Orange players can play defense in the NBA. I doubt it but it would be nice to stop hearing the inane comment that playing the 2-3 zone has anything to do with playing good M2M defense. I think playing 2-3 zone requires much more energy and aggressive play so I would argue playing the 2-3 zone makes you a better athlete overall.

In his rookie year, he was dead last in PPP against for anyone that played any amount of legitimate minutes. Dead last in the NBA.

Here are his DBPM rnakings:
'13: 421
'14: 376
'15: 368
'16: 271

Mind you, there are 450 roster spots at any one moment, at most.

Here are his Def W/S rankings:
'13: 301
'14: 190
'15: 146
'16: 133

Now, defensive metrics aren't perfect and at least Dion is getting better, but he is not a good defensive player. He's better than he was, which could be categorized as "atrocious".

The biggest problem he has, and it's much bigger than his defense, is that he has a bad NBA coach and organization that aren't going to make him a priority. He's going to be an RFA in a situation where he will not be the focus, at all. He'll be trade bait to keep the cap clear to make sure KD stays in OKC.

I guess? a 2 guard who has shot below 40% each of the last 2 years. That works if you're Bruce Bowen or something.

Yeah he didn't sign an extension last year. OKC I guess will make the qualifying offer so he's a restricted FA? Not sure actually.

Like I said, shooting isn't the strength but when you have a team with Durant and Westbrook, and even Ibaka, you just need to be serviceable out there.

Like I said, shooting isn't the strength but when you have a team with Durant and Westbrook, and even Ibaka, you just need to be serviceable out there.

Yeah I get that; I guess my rebuttal is how bad do you have to be to shoot 40% when you're on a team with Durant and Westbrook? There should be open looks all day.

All very valid...and certainly he has been all the things associated to him in this thread...including "atrocious" at times. But defense has never been Dion's biggest problem. His biggest problem has been inside his own head and the inability to be self aware. Personally, this interview feels like a HUGE step in the right direction. Great read. Thanks for find/post.

44cuse

Yeah I get that; I guess my rebuttal is how bad do you have to be to shoot 40% when you're on a team with Durant and Westbrook? There should be open looks all day.
He takes a lot of open 3's. Iirc he was never a knock down shooter behind the arc.

I watched the thunder a bunch this year. Dion is a versatile defender. They consider him a strong defender as in he has the strength and quickness to guard smaller and bigger guys. He is good at walling up and not getting pushed back. A lot of their fans call him "stout".

Jerami Grant is an excellent defender at the rim. Wesley has often been used to defend the other teams best scorer throughout his career. And in the few games i've seen mcw, he was great on d. Not just steals. He locked down curry and thompson better than anyone I've seen this year. Just a small sample size, but they wouldn't be playing if they weren't defending bc none of them are great scorers. Seems like cuse guys are playing more bc of their d and not in spite of.

With a Durant and Westbrook on your team there are only so many points for you. Seems like he knows he is not there to take 15 shots.

Dion played well last night. Had a drive followed up by an And1 a minute later all happening halfway through the 4th quarter in a close game. Then KD and Russ went chuck fest.

Dion played well last night. Had a drive followed up by an And1 a minute later all happening halfway through the 4th quarter in a close game. Then KD and Russ went chuck fest.
KD did get Dion an open look from 3 by driving the lane and dishing it to him. Dion just missed the shot.

KD did get Dion an open look from 3 by driving the lane and dishing it to him. Dion just missed the shot.

They are using him as a spot up shooter and that is definately not his strength.

I mean, yea, but you know it's bad when we are like "yea, but that one time they did pass..."

It's harder to make shots when you don't get the ball at times when you should. There is no rhythm whatsoever to anything that team does. They've won a lot of games on pure talent, but they're a hard watch and they're losing in round 2. They should be better.