Dion's learning curve | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Dion's learning curve

"I'm in the 6th man, 6th man Dion Waiters; I'm on my level now I'm so beyond haters"

- Meek Mill, 5/26/16

I love how 2 months ago, people on this board were convinced Dion would be out of the NBA after this season. They wouldn't believe that Dion had made serious progress in the past year. Now they're seeing how far he's come. Obviously, he's playing great this playoffs, but his D has been on point nearly all year. Assuming he doesn't go full Lance Stephenson, he'll have a long and productive NBA career.

As a side note, how awesome would it be to see Dion personally sink the finals hopes of LeBron, the guy who pretty much kicked him out of Cleveland 2 years ago?

Don't think I ever saw anybody post that. Maybe on Wes, but not Dion.

Games like last night make Dion a fascinating case. Granted Westbrook and Durant took nearly 70% of their shots, but to not scratch at all when playing 27 minutes is crazy to me. He has earned a nice contract but man there are some games where he is a non-factor.

Games like last night make Dion a fascinating case. Granted Westbrook and Durant took nearly 70% of their shots, but to not scratch at all when playing 27 minutes is crazy to me. He has earned a nice contract but man there are some games where he is a non-factor.

I completely disagree. He was 0-4 that is true, but he had 4 assist! Westbrook started the game 1-10 by the way. What he didn't do is force his offense and take bad shots and had only one turnover (it was a pass that he should have shot). Also is was clear that Golden State game planned for Dion running the point, which is a different offense than when Westbrook runs the point. Dion plays a slower pace than Westbrook (who doesn't) but yesterday he played too slow and they are playing him to pass. Saturday when he is running the second unit he needs to shoot more.

And not coincidentally, OKC lost. They're much better off when the trust their secondary guys (Adams, Waiters, et..)

It'll be interesting to see how much Dion gets in the offseason. This is like the NBA version of riding one good NCAA Tournament game to becoming a 1st round pick. 3 or 4 years of poor play, but he's having an unquestionably great postseason when it matters most.

I bet a friend that Dion would get at least $8M per year on his next contract (I think he makes like $6.1M in his final year right now). Then, the next day, listening to Bill Simmons, Bill pegged Dion specifically as a $12-$15 million a year guy. Stating that it was simply just a function of how much money teams are going to have come next year.

I bet a friend that Dion would get at least $8M per year on his next contract (I think he makes like $6.1M in his final year right now). Then, the next day, listening to Bill Simmons, Bill pegged Dion specifically as a $12-$15 million a year guy. Stating that it was simply just a function of how much money teams are going to have come next year.

8 million is a lock; like you said, so much cap space. There could be a team out there that throws 12-15 at him.

Yeah, I'd guess he gets at least $10 mil a year. With the way the cap is blowing up, teams will have a lot of money to spend; I'll be curious to see if Philly makes a run to bring him home and they'll have a ridiculous amount of cap space to spend.

I really don't see 12-15. I think 8 is just about the over/under.

Leo Rautins on SU Players in the NBA (PS; photogallery)

Dion Waiters

Rautins' take:
I think he's playing great. He's been one of the keys to their success in the postseason. Defensively, he's shined.

He's really stepped up. I think he's figured out offensively that he's really got to pick his spots. He might want to be a scorer, but in this league, it's hard to be a primary scorer and on that team, it's hard to be a secondary scorer.

I think he's figured out, do what you have to do and you're going to be on the floor. And if you're on the floor and winning, people notice. With the new collective bargaining and the new TV deals, he's going to get paid. Based on what he's doing right now, he's going to get paid. I think he's really smart about how he's handling his business right now.

5 years 80 million mark it down

Dion Waiters

Rautins' take:
I think he's playing great. He's been one of the keys to their success in the postseason. Defensively, he's shined.

He's really stepped up. I think he's figured out offensively that he's really got to pick his spots. He might want to be a scorer, but in this league, it's hard to be a primary scorer and on that team, it's hard to be a secondary scorer.

I think he's figured out, do what you have to do and you're going to be on the floor. And if you're on the floor and winning, people notice. With the new collective bargaining and the new TV deals, he's going to get paid. Based on what he's doing right now, he's going to get paid. I think he's really smart about how he's handling his business right now.

I just hope he lands in the right spot.

Dion Waiters

Rautins' take:

16 million a year. It's insane but I know how insane the NBA is. No way OKC would match that.