Dion's learning curve | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dion's learning curve

Im usually really hard on officials but how the **** are you supposed to officiate that? That might be one of the most absurd final plays of a game in NBA history. You can't train for that.

None of that garbage even happens if it wasn't for that moronic timeout by Donovan. Why let the Spurs set up their defense? Why take the ball from an under the basket situation where you can run the baseline to a sideline inbounds where there is no room, no angles and refs seemingly unwilling to call violations on defenders who are illegally crossing the out-of-bounds line? Why have one of your shortest guys, who is also not the greatest passer, inbound the ball? So many head shakes.

If we're being super technical about it, I haven't been able to slow things down on the right camera angle yet, but it looked like Westbrook may have committed the violation before Manu did. At any rate, a guy's toe on the line goes uncalled all the time; a guy that can't touch anything inbounds blatantly elbowing a player that was inbounds is inexcusable, especially when the ref is staring right at him.

There were a bunch of missed calls in the last sequence so you can't really pick and choose which ones you want enforced and which ones to let go.

Dion obviously committed some sort of violation(s) but I liken it to the BET final a few years ago when we played Louisville. MCW gets called for a flagrant late for elbowing Hancock in the face but MCW wouldn't have needed to swing his elbows through for space if the official called Hancock for having both hands on MCW's torso. Dion can't forearm shiver Manu if the ref makes him give Dion enough space to inbound it.

On Westbrook's violation, if you're going to whistle the violation do you whistle Leonard for the obvious hold?

It's a rabbit hole of the refs basically deciding to completely remove themselves from the the end of the game for better or worse.

There were a bunch of missed calls in the last sequence so you can't really pick and choose which ones you want enforced and which ones to let go.

Dion obviously committed some sort of violation(s) but I liken it to the BET final a few years ago when we played Louisville. MCW gets called for a flagrant late for elbowing Hancock in the face but MCW wouldn't have needed to swing his elbows through for space if the official called Hancock for having both hands on MCW's torso. Dion can't forearm shiver Manu if the ref makes him give Dion enough space to inbound it.

On Westbrook's violation, if you're going to whistle the violation do you whistle Leonard for the obvious hold?

It's a rabbit hole of the refs basically deciding to completely remove themselves from the the end of the game for better or worse.

I don't disagree lol. Just pointing out that Westbrook may have committed the violation before Manu (and potentially before Kawhi held him). There were so many things that went uncalled in that sequence. Most of it was understandable though (guys get held on every inbounds play, guys have a touch out of bounds all the time, etc.) But there's really no excuse for not calling a blatant elbow in that situation.

Regarding Manu giving Dion space, the rule in place is extremely vague. It basically says that Manu needs to give the inbounder "ample" room if the space for the inbounder is "restricted". If it isn't "restricted" (not sure what their definition of this is), Manu is allowed to be as close as he wants as long as he doesn't step or reach out of bounds (which he probably did anyways). I just don't think there's any defensible reason for not calling the Dion violation, whereas the rest of the stuff is understandable. I agree if they're calling everything 100% accurate and by the book, the Dion elbow never even happens though.

I don't disagree lol. Just pointing out that Westbrook may have committed the violation before Manu (and potentially before Kawhi held him). There were so many things that went uncalled in that sequence. Most of it was understandable though (guys get held on every inbounds play, guys have a touch out of bounds all the time, etc.) But there's really no excuse for not calling a blatant elbow in that situation.

Regarding Manu giving Dion space, the rule in place is extremely vague. It basically says that Manu needs to give the inbounder "ample" room if the space for the inbounder is "restricted". If it isn't "restricted" (not sure what their definition of this is)

I wonder if by restricted they mean the inbounder can't run the baseline?

Regarding Manu giving Dion space, the rule in place is extremely vague. It basically says that Manu needs to give the inbounder "ample" room if the space for the inbounder is "restricted". If it isn't "restricted" (not sure what their definition of this is), Manu is allowed to be as close as he wants as long as he doesn't step or reach out of bounds (which he probably did anyways). I just don't think there's any defensible reason for not calling the Dion violation, whereas the rest of the stuff is understandable. I agree if they're calling everything 100% accurate and by the book, the Dion elbow never even happens though.

Yea, I know what you mean.

Honestly, I think the official may have just been shocked at what he saw and by the time he processed it it was too late to blow the whistle. For some reason it's taboo to say but you see all the time refs get absolutely swallowed up by the moment in big games in intense atmospheres. I don't really mind situations like last night though as a fan. It had the feel you were watching a bunch of grown men going after it and battling and not expecting to be bailed out by a whistle or anything.

That they did, but that shouldn't have been necessary, Manu should have been shooting free throws.

Listened to Barkley on the Mike & Mike show a short time ago and he stated that he got clarification from the league today that it should've been an offensive foul on Waiters and Spurs possession, but no free throws. In the end, the Spurs did have possession with more than ample enough time to win it, but they simply failed to do so.

I wonder also if Ginobili's rep played a factor. He makes Paulus seem like a brick wall. There is an overhead angle that IMO is the best view and Dion barely touches Ginobili.

Yea, I know what you mean.

Honestly, I think the official may have just been shocked at what he saw and by the time he processed it it was too late to blow the whistle. For some reason it's taboo to say but you see all the time refs get absolutely swallowed up by the moment in big games in intense atmospheres. I don't really mind situations like last night though as a fan. It had the feel you were watching a bunch of grown men going after it and battling and not expecting to be bailed out by a whistle or anything.

I can say that your theory about the official being shocked is what happened to me lol. I saw it happen and it didn't even register in my mind at the time because I assumed I had just seen it wrong.

I wonder also if Ginobili's rep played a factor. He makes Paulus seem like a brick wall. There is an overhead angle that IMO is the best view and Dion barely touches Ginobili.

That may be true on both counts but Dion clearly reaches out with his elbow lol, makes contact, and clears himself space. By that time Ginobili's toe wasn't on the line and he was probably the furthest from Dion as well when Dion decides to make contact. As others have said, too many follies on that possession and that specific play was probably too bizarre to process for the refs in live time. Still, not a good day obviously for refs and Dion.

This was always going to be a big deal because controversy = $$$ but it's completely blown out of proportion by Webber unleashing 20 years of pent up rage over one missed call.

He's such a flopping clown. I'd be ecstatic if San Antonio lost every game in the series in the same fashion.

This was always going to be a big deal because controversy = $$$ but it's completely blown out of proportion by Webber unleashing 20 years of pent up rage over one missed call.

That was crazy lol. They never showed him, but I imagine he jumped up out of his chair and just started pointing at the ref yelling at him. I couldn't believe how emotional he was getting over it.

That may be true on both counts but Dion clearly reaches out with his elbow lol, makes contact, and clears himself space. By that time Ginobili's toe wasn't on the line and he was probably the furthest from Dion as well when Dion decides to make contact. As others have said, too many follies on that possession and that specific play was probably too bizarre to process for the refs in live time. Still, not a good day obviously for refs and Dion.

And the fact that Dion needed to create space in the first place is an issue. I know the rules are vague but usually the refs make the defender have their arms up and not reach forward. Ginobili was reaching forward the entire time. There was plenty of "violations" on the play but the refs let things go. In the end it was fair. IMO Webber's reaction has blown this out of proportion.

And the fact that Dion needed to create space in the first place is an issue. I know the rules are vague but usually the refs make the defender have their arms up and not reach forward. Ginobili was reaching forward the entire time. There was plenty of "violations" on the play but the refs let things go. In the end it was fair. IMO Webber's reaction has blown this out of proportion.

He overreacted for sure but it received plenty of attention with the TNT crew. It was fair I guess and Ginobili handled it well. I'm sure every guy inbounding the ball in crunch time wants to "create space" but you just can't go there, lol. Defenders defending like Ginobili did is like pretty much the norm. It seemed perfectly acceptable and his toe touched the line for a split second. It's not like he was camped out there. The potential for a technical was there as well on Waiters. Say what you want about the refs but it was a completely boneheaded and moronic play by Waiters. That's a given. Very fortunate it didn't cost them the game.

Think they should get that foam they use for free kicks in soccer.

Im really surprised that no one besides a couple people here wonder what Donovan was thinking.

Calling that timeout was so beyond stupid. Just quick throw it in and get fouled.. KD and Westbrook know to run to the ball and make sure it's one of them shooting the free throws. Why does he need to waste his last timeout and allow SA to set their defense?

Im really surprised that no one besides a couple people here wonder what Donovan was thinking.

Calling that timeout was so beyond stupid. Just quick throw it in and get fouled.. KD and Westbrook know to run to the ball and make sure it's one of them shooting the free throws. Why does he need to waste his last timeout and allow SA to set their defense?

You're right for sure. I just think any defense of Dion is just plain asinine. It's like Hulk-esque with the goggles on.

And Pop wasted a TO too so they didn't have one at the end.

You're right for sure. I just think any defense of Dion is just plain asinine. It's like Hulk-esque with the goggles on.
I think it's hilarious. That's why I compared him to JR Smith and Lance Stephenson last night. They all do good things and will all be in the NBA for a while because of those things but man, sometimes... lol.

I think it's hilarious. That's why I compared him to JR Smith and Lance Stephenson last night. They all do good things and will all be in the NBA for a while because of those things but man, sometimes... lol.

True, ha. Lance for sure but I hope he lasts as long as JR Smith. Smith has proven to be a dangerous sniper and a way better scorer than Waiters probably will ever be. He's become a valuable playoff teammate for years now. I like the Lance comparison...definitely some screws loose with him and more about 'me ball.'

Donovan has been exposed as a terrible coach. He's done a very poor job this year.

That's the exact crew that he should be lumped in with. The guys that can go for 20 points in a quarter but will also do the dumbest things you've ever seen. Can probably put Swaggy P in with that quartet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom