Dion's learning curve | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Dion's learning curve

A max deal? No chance at all for that. Even the worthless sixers wouldn't be dumb enough to throw that kind of money at him. He's had a decent year and has proven to be a pretty good role player, but those types of guys don't get max deals in the NBA (usually).

The salary cap is going up by the biggest % jump in the history of the league. A max isn't what it use to be and Dion will be one of the best guards AVAILABLE this summer. supply and demand curve.

I think his outside shooting will be key moving forward like you say for his continued longevity in the league. To me he has more than lost a step in terms of blowing by people and being able to finish. He seems a bit heavy now too, imo. Still, I've been impressed with his improved focus on D. I've always thought he was a good passer as well.
I was glad he got to play a little point last night and hope Donovan keeps him in that role with Westbrook catching breathers because, like you said, he is a good passer and even though he "may" have lost a step, he's still quicker than a lot of guards in the NBA which allows him to penetrate and kick out.

Okc had him running a little point in the beginning of the 4th while westbrook was on the bench and he did a good job. If he continues to shoot well for the rest of the series he get a max deal this summer. (he may even if he doesn't) His defense is night and day from when he entered the league.

Max deal? Please. He's a role player.

shandeezy7 said:
A max deal? No chance at all for that. Even the worthless sixers wouldn't be dumb enough to throw that kind of money at him. He's had a decent year and has proven to be a pretty good role player, but those types of guys don't get max deals in the NBA (usually).
he's more like a 4-48 guy

I could see Dion getting a 4-5 year deal at roughly $15-20 mil per year. Let's see how everything shakes out.

Can I just say how much fun it is to watch a Syracuse guy play big time minutes and step up in the Playoffs. Carmelo is on the trashbag dumpsterfires while the rest of our guys might as well be in NBA Siberia.

True. Re: Dion, I always wished he could've gone to a team to be the primary PG. Still have no idea why my Cavs drafted him. He needs the ball in his hands.

Reggie Jackson got a 5yr 80 million dollar contract from Detroit last summer. Dion is having a better year shooting the ball than Jackson did his last year in OKC plus he is 5x the defender and the cap is going up so teams will have money to spend.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jacksre01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/waitedi01.html

Under what metric is he shooting better?

TS% wise (the best metric for shooting efficiency) has Jackson at 54%, 53% and 51% in has last 3 years in OKC, while Dion was 51%, 46%, and 49%. That's a difference of 4% per year on average, which is huge. Jackson also demonstrated that he could be a really good playmaker with Detroit after the trade.

Dion is not getting what Reggie Jackson was getting. Before the playoffs he was an 8-10M guy. He has made himself a few extra million this offseason and good for him.

Can I just say how much fun it is to watch a Syracuse guy play big time minutes and step up in the Playoffs. Carmelo is on the trashbag dumpsterfires while the rest of our guys might as well be in NBA Siberia.
I was actually thinking we'd be seeing Wes Johnson more, but when Chris Paul and Griffin went out, that ended that.

Reggie Jackson got a 5yr 80 million dollar contract from Detroit last summer. Dion is having a better year shooting the ball than Jackson did his last year in OKC plus he is 5x the defender and the cap is going up so teams will have money to spend.

Detroit got screwed. Deals like that sink Football teams and rightfully so. Dion is in a good spot but not at that level .

Detroit got screwed. Deals like that sink Football teams and rightfully so. Dion is in a good spot but not at that level .

comparing the economics of basketball to football is silly. The cap is projected to be 89 Million next year and 109 mill the year after that. Teams are only allowed 15 roster spots and only 13 dress. The numbers are huge in basketball because there are so few players to divide the pie up compared to football.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2015/12/31/10641562/nba-salary-cap-spike-analysis

Agreed. Though unfortunately CP3 and Griffin BOTH got hurt, otherwise Wes would be getting some key minutes in round 2 as well.

Jackson is the better player though. He was held back in OKC a bit because he played the same position as Westbrook, and was an all star this year. And maybe Dion shot the ball better this year than Jackson did last year in OKC...but Jackson was the more productive player overall.

Agreed. Though unfortunately CP3 and Griffin BOTH got hurt, otherwise Wes would be getting some key minutes in round 2 as well.

The unfortunate part is that he would probably be playing poorly. Not really sure how he's still in the league.

The unfortunate part is that he would probably be playing poorly. Not really sure how he's still in the league.
He's a prototype 3 and D player in the nba. He's going to have a long career.

I know what you mean. I went to a Lakers game last year against the Clippers though and he went for 16 and 10 surprised me (Wes was on Lakers)

Pretty good and fairly versatile defender, decent 3 point shooter, and pretty good finisher on the break. He's not a bad player. Borderline starter on bad teams, 8th man on good teams type.

Jackson is the better player though. He was held back in OKC a bit because he played the same position as Westbrook, and was an all star this year. And maybe Dion shot the ball better this year than Jackson did last year in OKC...but Jackson was the more productive player overall.[/QUOTE

Jackson is a poor defender not close to Dion on that end of the floor and players have to produce on both ends of the floor.

3 Solid games in a Row, and playing smart, team ball. Bringing the ball up at the 2 min mark against the Spurs in a Game 5. Man, who saw that coming? Great game, in awe of Westbrook and Leonard.