Direct from Chapel Hill | Syracusefan.com

Direct from Chapel Hill

realorange

Living Legend
Quick thoughts

Great basketball arena. Comfortable seats for anyone under 6ft.

Great student section. One night of theirs is equivalent to many of ours.

Sat with nice UNC folks. Lot of chatter no problems.

We had way too many turnovers.

Guard play was terrible.

Lydon never took a shot until 9 minutes of the first half. Inexcusable.

He and Battle played well. White and Roby OK. Others------

Maybe more tomorrow when I get home.,

In the car driving back to Syracuse now.

Not as fun to make the drive home after a loss, but we had a good experience overall.

Watched Steelers win at a great sports bar- Tobacco Road in Durham last night.

Went to campus today and walked around. Everyone was very friendly & helpful. Saw several orange fans.

Parked for free in the "Marshall Street " area of UNC & got a shuttle to the stadium. Met many folks from central NY that live down here now. Chatted about final four last year & this season in general. No one said a negative word, no taunting etc.

Stadium was OK, fans were very cordial. Student section & band we're great, got the crowd going. There was orange scattered throughout.

Game was about what we expected, since we were loosing it was nice to see walk ons get to play. I guess our tickets are at least worth something since we were there for 800 wins for Roy Williams.

After the game we got a chance to chat with Mike Gbinije's dad. We sure could have used G tonight!

Signing off for now, hoping our next road trip ends with a win-

My understanding is that the Carolina fans in general are not too rowdy and pissy, although enthusiastic. That probably changes with Duke. However, we were also not a threat to them in any way.

Except for the last 6 minutes or so, we were in this game. We played them close. My memory of last year is that they blew us out fairly early in all three of the games we played with them. Perhaps we kept it closer in the Dome? It seemed ironic that although this year's Carolina team is nominally better than last year's, and our team is much worse, we seemed to play them better last night than in any of our three previous games.

My understanding is that the Carolina fans in general are not too rowdy and pissy, although enthusiastic. That probably changes with Duke. However, we were also not a threat to them in any way.

Except for the last 6 minutes or so, we were in this game. We played them close. My memory of last year is that they blew us out fairly early in all three of the games we played with them. Perhaps we kept it closer in the Dome? It seemed ironic that although this year's Carolina team is nominally better than last year's, and our team is much worse, we seemed to play them better last night than in any of our three previous games.

All three games were closer last year. We actually led them at the dome until 5 minutes to go. The game at the dean dome and the FF we were in it until 5 minutes to go. Last night I never got the feeling we were close to striking distance.

Last edited:

That's crazy. Brent Axe's headline from today says Syracuse got crushed. I can see why at times JB has a right to be ticked at the media. Sensationalized headlines that are factually incorrect kill me. Just report what actually happened.

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 9.24.00 AM.png

All three games were closer last year. We actually lead them at the dome until 5 minutes to go. The game at the dean dome and the FF we were in it until 5 minutes to go. Last night I never got the feeling we were close to striking distance.

When we got it to 45-42, I started getting a little excited... but that was quickly gone.

That's crazy. Brent Axe's headline from today says Syracuse got crushed. I can see why at times JB has a right to be ticked at the media. Sensationalized headlines that are factually incorrect kill me. Just report what actually happened.

View attachment 87232

Fair statement, but Brent isn't making the headline. His editor is.

All three games were closer last year. We actually lead them at the dome until 5 minutes to go. The game at the dean dome and the FF we were in it until 5 minutes to go. Last night I never got the feeling we were close to striking distance.
It is clearly true that reality is subjective! We LEAD them in the Dome? Sheesh!

Just want to ditto some of Headmaster's experiences.

The pageantry that preceeds NCU games is choreographed to a T. It starts with the dance team coming out about 30-45 minutes before game time. They do routines and then go up to the pep band location and line up on each side of it and do pom-pom routines with the music.
The cheerleaders come out about 20 minutes before the game and lead songs and cheers.
The pre-game introductions are a combination of videos and voice with lighting effects.
While all this is going on and even before, the students are warming up by cheering and yelling. There is one group of about 100 at the end of the court that stands through the whole game.
All in all very well done and beyond anything at the Dome.

We got a shuttle from a different location than Headmaster, but still it beats trying to find parking. $5./person RT

We also ate at the Tobacco Road Sports bar last night and recommend it to anyone going to Chapel Hill.

Overall, good experience.

I agree with all who liked their Chapel Hill experience last night.

I attended the game there two years ago. The campus is beautiful; their "Marshall Street is great; the UNC folks are friendly and helpful; and the game experience is very good. When I was there, the UNC Pep Band played non-stop. I thought I would never get that song ("I'm a Tarheel born, and a Tarheed bred....") out of my head.

Last edited:
We had way too many turnovers.
The picking up the dribble thing and passing toward the other team's basket was an epidemic. Embarrassing to watch on tv. Must have been hard to see live.

Great student section. One night of theirs is equivalent to many of ours.
It played well on tv too.

Went to some UNC games back in the 90s. Glad to hear the game experience is still strong. Great place to watch a college basketball game. Their band is always great.

I'll jump in as I attended last night also. Let's start with pregame. Me and my crew got to arena about an hour before game time. We were encouraged by ushers to go down to court side to watch team warm up. Then as we were literally standing next to players during shoot around, usher asked if we wanted our picture taken standing on the Tar Heel painted just out of bounds with the players in the background...I was flabbergasted. If I were to somehow stroll sidecourt during warmup in the dome, I would be jumped by 3 ushers while a 4th radios for backup and Pat Campbell is notified so FBI can do a backup on me.
Let me also echo what others have accurately described about the introductions. FABULOUS! Visiting team is introduced while students( who are awesome) continued some stupid cheer which was only stupid because they were my enemy. The NC players intro was stuff of Major Motion Picture Special Effects!
Why do we lag behind here. COPYCAT THEM NOW. Our non student fans are more passionate than theirs. Our students SUCK compared to theirs...sorry. And whoever is in charge of pregame, Intros,and buildup before tap needs to be re-filling fryers at a fast food joint.
GET IT RIGHT!!!!!

From a Tar Heel at last night's game I must applaud the classiness of the Syracuse fans. They were very polite and relatively loud in their support for the Orange. After the game the fans in front of us congratulated us on our victory and said good game. I was also impressed that several of the fans stayed for the celebration of Roy's 800th win and applauded. And Coach B clearing his bench at same time as ours was really cool. Great game and thanks for representing your university well.