Discussions about eliminating kickoffs in college football have begun (CBS) | Syracusefan.com

Discussions about eliminating kickoffs in college football have begun (CBS)

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Preliminary discussions have begun within two influential college football bodies into possibly removing kickoffs from the game, CBS Sports has learned.

Both the American Football Coaches Association's board of trustees and the NCAA Division I Football Oversight Committee have at least had informal talks about the possibility.

The reason: player safety...

Discussions about eliminating kickoffs in college football have begun

Preliminary discussions have begun within two influential college football bodies into possibly removing kickoffs from the game, CBS Sports has learned.

Both the American Football Coaches Association's board of trustees and the NCAA Division I Football Oversight Committee have at least had informal talks about the possibility.

The reason: player safety...

Discussions about eliminating kickoffs in college football have begun
It would be interesting to see the actual data on this. Intuitively the thought here seems correct. I have to say though that in all the games I have watched over the years, I could easily count on one hand the number of injuries on kick offs. Punts on the other hand ...

Practicing Kickoff and Kick Return is a gauntlet... I've seen over a dozen scary injuries in a decade of coaching at various levels. I saw 3 last year in practice. One of which left a kid motionless/unconscious and unable to use his arms or legs for multiple minutes.

Kickoff is scary stuff, but, part of the game.

I've had this conversation before, you want to eliminate head injuries, take away helmets. Good luck diving head first at someone without a helmet. Increasing the supposed safety of helmets makes players feel more invincible.

Remove helmets and artificial turf
The newest versions of artificial turf are so much better. I agree that nothing is as good as grass, and that even newer field turf is more dangerous, but it is leaps and bounds better than the garbage I played on.

Too bad this didn't happen before the national championship game in January...

Had an up close view of Eric Legrand getting hurt on a kick off... Players have a tendency to throw their bodies around on a kickoff, more so than other plays...

Having seen this, I can certainly understand the thought process of eliminating kick offs... Unfortunately, It would eliminate one of my favorite plays late in a game, the on sides kick.

Had an up close view of Eric Legrand getting hurt on a kick off... Players have a tendency to throw their bodies around on a kickoff, more so than other plays...

Having seen this, I can certainly understand the thought process of eliminating kick offs... Unfortunately, It would eliminate one of my favorite plays late in a game, the on sides kick.
The game would certainly lose quite a bit, there is nothing like the opening kickoff. If I am not mistaken, kickoffs and punts are the only time when there is a free-for-all. I remember in high school, our toughest guy would use the kickoff to take a shot at the other team's tough guy. He had no interest in going after the ball carrier, he would target that dude and hit him as hard as he could.

to bad but i get the reasoning. until technology(equipment)catches up with the athletes, i am ok with it. however the next step may be punt returns,although i believe they are less risk, due to the possibility of a fake, the d must hold back somewhat

In 20 years the NFL will be flag football. There are modifications that can be made to the kickoff to limit some of the momentum and inertia. Make the KO team only be able to run 5 yds to the kick of the ball and move the kick return team up, making them retreat farther. Roger will drive this bulletproof league into the ground, he will try anyways. Thats why i prefer the college game. Primarily for 2 reasons; you can still hit the QB hard and instant replay is far more efficient.

Player Safety will relegate the game of football to gaming nerds playing a violent version of football on an extremely larger video board while never straining anything more than his thumbs and bladder.

If they take away contact in football, they had better roll out The Running Man!

Go back to leather helmets and shoulder pads
upload_2016-7-18_17-45-47.jpeg

The game would certainly lose quite a bit, there is nothing like the opening kickoff. If I am not mistaken, kickoffs and punts are the only time when there is a free-for-all. I remember in high school, our toughest guy would use the kickoff to take a shot at the other team's tough guy. He had no interest in going after the ball carrier, he would target that dude and hit him as hard as he could.
Exactly the reason they want to eliminate it. Because of players like your teammate taking cheap shots.

Whatever they decide to do, I hope the decision is based on actual data.

I don't think I will miss kickoffs much though. I prefer when games are decided by the offense and the defense. Special teams are far too flukey for me.