Disjointed Thoughts on the UVa Game | Syracusefan.com

Disjointed Thoughts on the UVa Game

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I don't expect a huge turnout tonight. No way we get 30K, not with the way the team has been trending and it being played on a weekday night. Would really like to see the ACC set things up so SU always plays its final home game of the season on a weekend. RC deserves a great sendoff.

That being said, the people that do show will be very loud and appreciative. Especially for Rakeem but for the team in general. They are flawed in a number of ways but I give them a lot of credit for playing hard all season long. Many other teams would not have finished things out like this.

Virginia is first in the country in lowest points allowed and on pace to have the lowest number allowed since 1986. 5 of their last 7 games they have held their opponent under 50 points. That is pretty amazing. I don't think this Cavalier team is getting nearly as much respect and publicity as they deserve. They are really really good. I might be totally off base but I think they are a near lock to get to the championship game. Duke, UVa and UK seem to be a lot better than anyone else this year.

On a related note, given our troubles on offense and that great Virginia defense, we will be very fortunate to get 50 points tonight. Very fortunate indeed. I hope our outside shooters have a good day, or it could get ugly on Rak's final game in the Dome.

One group that will be rooting hard for Syracuse to win are the headline writers of America. You have to believe they have the headline already set to go in the event Rakeem goes off and leads SU to a huge upset.

"Yes Virginia, There is a Christmas!"

#gocuse! #wardamnotto! #shocktheworld!

OMG, what a great mind you have! I didn't think of that line for one minute. Wouldn't it be fantastic if that headline could be on every sports page of the nation?!?

sutomcat said:
I don't expect a huge turnout tonight. No way we get 30K, not with the way the team has been trending and it being played on a weekday night. Would really like to see the ACC set things up so SU always plays its final home game of the season on a weekend. RC deserves a great sendoff. That being said, the people that do show will be very loud and appreciative. Especially for Rakeem but for the team in general. They are flawed in a number of ways but I give them a lot of credit for playing hard all season long. Many other teams would not have finished things out like this. Virginia is first in the country in lowest points allowed and on pace to have the lowest number allowed since 1986. 5 of their last 7 games they have held their opponent under 50 points. That is pretty amazing. I don't think this Cavalier team is getting nearly as much respect and publicity as they deserve. They are really really good. I might be totally off base but I think they are a near lock to get to the championship game. Duke, UVa and UK seem to be a lot better than anyone else this year. On a related note, given our troubles on offense and that great Virginia defense, we will be very fortunate to get 50 points tonight. Very fortunate indeed. I hope our outside shooters have a good day, or it could get ugly on Rak's final game in the Dome. One group that will be rooting hard for Syracuse to win are the headline writers of America. You have to believe they have the headline already set to go in the event Rakeem goes off and leads SU to a huge upset. "Yes Virginia, There is a Christmas!" #gocuse! #wardamnotto! #shocktheworld!

I will be in 311 screaming my head off. I'm wearing this for our man:

If any of you see me, please come say hi.

Attachments

• image-2295033099.jpg
    image-2295033099.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 118
I don't think this Cavalier team is getting nearly as much respect and publicity as they deserve. They are really really good. I might be totally off base but I think they are a near lock to get to the championship game.
The "respect" and "publicity" we get is "College basketball has become unwatchable." We don't think the timing of our high ranking and the proliferation of these comments is a coincidence and have even started to take this as a compliment. "Even if you're paranoid, sometimes people ARE out to get you."

Virginia is for Lovers and Christmas too!
Rak should get a LONG multiple minutes standing ovation tonight.

The "respect" and "publicity" we get is "College basketball has become unwatchable." We don't think the timing of our high ranking and the proliferation of these comments is a coincidence and have even started to take this as a compliment. "Even if you're paranoid, sometimes people ARE out to get you."
You have to consider the source.
If it's not a dunk, a play is a long shot to make an ESPN highlight.
They're not going to run textbook screens or lockdown defense.
They want to excite fans and in doing so (intentionally or not) dumb down appreciation for the game.

The Orange will need a season-best game to win tonight.
Offensively, that means no turnovers, Rak & Roberson dominate inside, Gbinje driving the lane and hitting from outside and Cooney having an unconscious shooting night like the one he had against Notre Dame last season.

You have to consider the source.
If it's not a dunk, a play is a long shot to make an ESPN highlight.
They're not going to run textbook screens or lockdown defense.
They want to excite fans and in doing so (intentionally or not) dumb down appreciation for the game.
Most definitely. One of my beliefs is "If there is something wrong with a particular sport you like, blame it on SportsCenter." What makes their Top 10, a tomahawk dunk or a 15 ft. jumper? A 2-run homer in the 5th inning that makes the score 6-2 or a grounder to 2nd that advances the tying/winning run to 3rd in the bottom of the 8th? There are more.

OMG, what a great mind you have! I didn't think of that line for one minute. Wouldn't it be fantastic if that headline could be on every sports page of the nation?!?

Should have been a t-shirt that everyone wore tonight!!! Now that would be a t-shirt worth making.

the game has been trending in this garbage direction way before UVA'a #1 seed last year and great run so far this year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom