Division realignment | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Division realignment

Where is Petrino going to go? Why would he go to a more difficult place. Louisville can win a NC. He is paid 5 million dollars a year. The SEC West sucks because you aren't beating Alabama. The Big Ten has Meyer and Harbaugh. I doubt he goes to the Pac-12. Thus staying in the ACC makes sense.
Stop acting like Petrino is rational.

He's a weird dude with the yips. He'll leave.

since Louisville gave him a lifeline to come back I would think his contract is very onerous for him to pack up and leave again. I would think he has to buy himself out of his big contract. Of course a redneck operation like LSU may do it for him but I think this is his last stop contractually speaking.

I live, eat and breathe SU football, but if someone were to randomly ask me "does SU play in the Atlantic or Coastal division?" I would seriously have to stop and think about it for like 5 minutes. I can never remember.

I just wish the ACC now tries to pass their 3 +5+5 amendment with the P5 council. Now that the ACC has the long term GOR and network coming the Big Ten should careless about this issue as they won't be getting ACCschools like they wanted and that was the main reason it didn't pass.

The Big Ten didn't want to help the ACC survive. Now that it is has they should careless and the SEC should really careless about it than the Big Ten.

The P5 voting blocs are Big Ten/Pac-12, and the rest of the 3 are on there own.

He is low class but I just think with Louisville go enough to win at he won't leave in the near future. Going to LSU would be stupid while Saban is coaching. As long as Saban is at Bama I wouldn't want to be coaching in the SEC West.
Petrino has no chance to go the NFL after what he did to the Falcons. I wouldn't want a SEC or Big Ten job over Louisville.

I wouldn't change it for anything - if you want to be taken seriously you have to beat the best to get into the playoffs. Win against FSU & Clemson (and maybe Lville but we will see post Lamar J) and go undefeated you are in. Playing in the other division, unless two or three teams become relevant again (like Miami), you potentially get left out (especially with one loss) due to weaker strength of schedule.

I would rather we start scheduling 7 home games each year and a new Dome with new locker rooms...than worry about changing divisions.

The four year history of the 14-team divisions:

2013: 7-7
2014: 7-7
2015: 10-4 Coastal
2016: 6-3 Atlantic, so far.

The Atlantic is more top heavy, the Coastal has more parity.

Carry on.

This seems like a pretty airtight argument as to why the current alignment is fine.

The four year history of the 14-team divisions:

2013: 7-7
2014: 7-7
2015: 10-4 Coastal
2016: 6-3 Atlantic, so far.

The Atlantic is more top heavy, the Coastal has more parity.

Carry on.
What sucks is that middle Atlantic teams that are trying to rebuild have 2 losses baked into their schedule every year. While Coastal teams don't have those 2 games every year and instead have 2 50/50 ish type games.

If Wake/Syracuse/BC/NC State had more games against the Coastal teams it would help them gain momentum as look a the NFL draft picks that have come out of Clemson/Florida State the last 4 years. All 22 starting players on the 2013 Florida State NC team were drafted into the NFL.

The Coastal isn't easy for sure but anyone can beat anyone.

I just wish the ACC now tries to pass their 3 +5+5 amendment with the P5 council. Now that the ACC has the long term GOR and network coming the Big Ten should careless about this issue as they won't be getting ACCschools like they wanted and that was the main reason it didn't pass.

The Big Ten didn't want to help the ACC survive. Now that it is has they should careless and the SEC should really careless about it than the Big Ten.

The P5 voting blocs are Big Ten/Pac-12, and the rest of the 3 are on there own.

I am surprised the SEC doesn't want the 3-5-5 given that the East stinks and they never play cross division.

He is low class but I just think with Louisville go enough to win at he won't leave in the near future. Going to LSU would be stupid while Saban is coaching. As long as Saban is at Bama I wouldn't want to be coaching in the SEC West.
Petrino has no chance to go the NFL after what he did to the Falcons. I wouldn't want a SEC or Big Ten job over Louisville.

IMO he will be gone either this year or next. Long term Louisville isn't good enough. LSU is a better option. He might stay one more year for Jackson and then move on to a bigger gig. But after that he gone.

So what happens if miami and Virginia tech return to top ten teams? We re-align again?
Virginia Tech has never been a consistent top 10 team. They had the Vick Era and Taylor Eras where they were elite. VPI is a consistent top 25 team.

Miami has never won the Coastal. Duke has played in more ACC CGs games than Miami has. Miami needs to win the division before we think about this.

The Coastal is way better for non-factory schools. We wouldn't dominate no matter which division we are in but we have a chance against the top Coastal teams unlike FSU/Clemson.

IMO he will be gone either this year or next. Long term Louisville isn't good enough. LSU is a better option. He might stay one more year for Jackson and then move on to a bigger gig. But after that he gone.
He would be a moron to go to LSU. They won't pay much more than UL will and look at Charlie Strong. Petrino is going to be for the forseeable future. When he left the first time UL couldn't win a NC because of their conference affiliation. With FSU and CLemson UL can now win a NC. In 2011 Petrino had Arkansas at #3 in the nation but he was #3 in his OWN DIVISION. He isn't going anywhere near the SEC West right now. He is a scumbag but even this scumbag knows UL saved him.

This seems like a pretty airtight argument as to why the current alignment is fine.

Atlantic is top heavy, with a really weak middle/bottom. The Atlantic has the top 2 programs and Louisville is Top 4 for as long as Johnson is at GA Tech. The last 4 ACC CGs have been:

#12 vs NR with 2nd best Atlantic at #13
#1 vs #20 with #13
#4 vs #10 with #18
#1 vs #10 with #9

The 2nd place Atlantic team has been ranked higher 3 of the last 4 years. Plus the Coastal teams have had inflated rankings due to having a weaker top of division.

The Atlantic has won the last 5 ACC CGs. Also it is better for the ACC if the winner of the ACC CG has a legit shot at making the CFB Playoff. Having teams outside the Top 10 means an upset leaves the ACC on the outside. Or if the top ACC team is a bubble team beating a weaker team in the ACC CG could have the conference bumped from the playoff.

So what happens if miami and Virginia tech return to top ten teams? We re-align again?

VA Tech was typically a Top 15 team. Miami will never be Miami again. They can get back to a Top 15 program tops. FSU, Clemson, Louisville will be stronger than VA Tech, Miami 9 times out of 10. Also it isn't fair to the Coastal teams that the Atlantic has SU, BC, Wake, NC State. That is too weak. If I am Clemson or FSU I don't want to play 3 small private schools every year either.

The ACC should flip one of UVA/VPI for one of BC/SU and balance the divisions. VPI-UVA and SU-BC would become protected cross overs.
Each side would have a VA game every year and each side would have a Northeast game.

The ACC should flip one of UVA/VPI for one of BC/SU and balance the divisions. VPI-UVA and SU-BC would become protected cross overs.
Each side would have a VA game every year and each side would have a Northeast game.
Totally agree that Greensboro should bring SU to the Coastal for VPI. You were supposed to be here originally. I am hard pressed to think of a UVa fan who would object to having VPI moved to the other division. The Louavul fans would prefer to play VPI regularly rather than us because VPI is 100 miles closer to them. They can pick up Pitt as their cross-division game and play for ownership of the Ohio River. The Twerps played VPI in College Spark in their last season in the conference, so it will be a while before Louavul and VPI will be scheduled to play again (this time in Bleaksburg).

I am surprised the SEC doesn't want the 3-5-5 given that the East stinks and they never play cross division.
Now they'll vote for it because the ACC isn't going to implode. They do play cross-division; they invented it to protect the Aubarn-Georgia series which is one game behind UVa-UNC in number of games played (we reached 121 Saturday :(; they'll reach 120 on Nov. 12).

Swapping VA Tech over would make the Atlantic even crazier. Like I said before change FSU/Louisville/BC for Miami/VA Tech/Pitt. That separates the private schools evenly and makes the divisions better.

Sagarin ranks

New Atlantic
4. Clemson
17. VA Tech
25. Miami
37. Pitt
41. NC State
63. Wake
72. SU

New Coastal
6. Louisville
13. FSU
30. UNC
47. GA Tech
61. Duke
84. UVA
86. BC

It is a big change for Miami. I think FSU is happy swapping Clemson for GA Tech. Everyone else should be happy.

Now they'll vote for it because the ACC isn't going to implode. They do play cross-division; they invented it to protect the Aubarn-Georgia series which is one game behind UVa-UNC in number of games played (we reached 121 Saturday :(; they'll reach 120 on Nov. 12).

I meant that the West teams play the East teams only once every 6 years just like in the ACC. Both the ACC and SEC need to fix that and the best way is 3-5-5. They only problem for the SEC is a possible Bama vs LSU SEC CG rematch. Since Bama would want Auburn, LSU, Tennessee as their 3 teams. Or even worse have the Iron Bowl mean nothing if the two play each other again in the SEC CG.

Swapping VA Tech over would make the Atlantic even crazier. Like I said before change FSU/Louisville/BC for Miami/VA Tech/Pitt. That separates the private schools evenly and makes the divisions better.

Sagarin ranks

New Atlantic
4. Clemson
17. VA Tech
25. Miami
37. Pitt
41. NC State
63. Wake
72. SU

New Coastal
6. Louisville
13. FSU
30. UNC
47. GA Tech
61. Duke
84. UVA
86. BC

It is a big change for Miami. I think FSU is happy swapping Clemson for GA Tech. Everyone else should be happy.
Honestly thing works. Good job. it protects UNC-UVA, Ga. Tech-Duke, NC State-Clemson, which are the rivalires the league has to protect.

I meant that the West teams play the East teams only once every 6 years just like in the ACC. Both the ACC and SEC need to fix that and the best way is 3-5-5. They only problem for the SEC is a possible Bama vs LSU SEC CG rematch. Since Bama would want Auburn, LSU, Tennessee as their 3 teams. Or even worse have the Iron Bowl mean nothing if the two play each other again in the SEC CG.
The 3+5+5 helps the best team because they only have to be one of the 2 best teams instead of the division winner.

I don't think they would object for the reasons you state. As the SEC is really deep and it would ebb and flow.

Honestly thing works. Good job. it protects UNC-UVA, Ga. Tech-Duke, NC State-Clemson, which are the rivalires the league has to protect.

It is great for SU too, well at least IMO.

I want to play Miami, VA Tech, Pitt, BC every year. Which with this alignment we would. I have no interest in seeing SU play Louisville, NC State, Wake on a yearly basis. I wish we could get UNC, Duke, UVA instead but that is too hard to pull off.

Another option would be Old Big East vs Original ACC. Then you have FSU and GA Tech left to place. So either the Original ACC takes GA Tech (forgoing a yearly game vs a Florida school) or GA Tech gets screwed by being placed with the Old Big East schools. Would the Carolina schools be happier playing each other every year in lieu of playing GA Tech? Would it be a deal breaker for GA Tech to concede those games?

Louisville-NC State
VA Tech-UVA
Miami-FSU
Pitt-UNC
GA Tech-Clemson
SU-Duke
BC-Wake

Which is balanced really well.

Or

Louisville-NC State
FSU-GA Tech
VA Tech-UVA
Miami-Clemson
Pitt-UNC
SU-Duke
BC-Wake

Which is way too strong on one side but keeps everyone happy.

VA Tech was typically a Top 15 team. Miami will never be Miami again. They can get back to a Top 15 program tops. FSU, Clemson, Louisville will be stronger than VA Tech, Miami 9 times out of 10. Also it isn't fair to the Coastal teams that the Atlantic has SU, BC, Wake, NC State. That is too weak. If I am Clemson or FSU I don't want to play 3 small private schools every year either.

So we won't ever be Syracuse again?

So we won't ever be Syracuse again?

From 1981-1994 Miami was in the Top 10 eleven times out of fourteen seasons, with the other three being 15th, 18th, and NR. So no I don't think Miami will ever achieve that again. Especially since they cheated to get there. Heck I don't think FSU or Clemson can have a stretch like that going forward.

By what do you mean "Syracuse"? If you mean 1987-1992 where we finished 4th, 12th, 21st, 11th, 7th in the Coaches Poll? No, I don't think we will ever have a stretch like that again. Could we have 1-2 seasons in the Top 10? Sure, but not a longer stretch. If you mean 1995-1998 where we finished 16th, 19th, 20th, 24th then we will be Syracuse again within the next 5 years.