Do any of the freshman start? | Syracusefan.com

Do any of the freshman start?

Actionthrill

Walk On
I have Coony, KJ, Silent G, Roberson, and Coleman starting. If that happens the bench will be very young. I know some might find away for Richardson to start but I would start Lydon and bring Roberson off the bench so that our bench can have a little experience. What do you guys think?

No, I don't think any freshman will start games unless a starter gets hurt. None of the freshman are better college basketball players right now than the guys starting ahead of them, so it makes sense.

Malachi isn't a PG, so I don't get this at all.
I'm thinking the line of reasoning is that G can play PG, though I don't think he plays it well enough to make this a viable option.

I have Coony, KJ, Silent G, Roberson, and Coleman starting. If that happens the bench will be very young. I know some might find away for Richardson to start but I would start Lydon and bring Roberson off the bench so that our bench can have a little experience. What do you guys think?

No. The lone exception potentially being Diagne if Coleman can't go / play starter's minutes.

KJ is going to start dispelling a lot of these opinions from those who've written him off prematurely. I'm expecting a fairly substantial sophomore jump in productivity / effeciveness.

I certainly haven't written him off. He was just a freshman in an unexpected role. I do wish he was on a little more of an upward trajectory toward the end of the season though but had a whole offseason to improve.

KJ is going to start dispelling a lot of these opinions from those who've written him off prematurely. I'm expecting a fairly substantial sophomore jump in productivity / effeciveness.
I agree. He wasn't expected to actually play meaningful minutes until this year. Now he's got a massive head start from a development standpoint. I think he'll surprise people.

I'm thinking the line of reasoning is that G can play PG, though I don't think he plays it well enough to make this a viable option.

Yeah, I thought Tuttle meant Mali would play the point, since he wrote, "Mali for KJ."

Our best lineup is a productive KJ playing the point with Mike G playing the 3.

I think people are underestimating how flexible our players will be this year. I'm sure JB's going to tinker with guys in a lot of different roles.

If he plays some defense and looks to be more aggressive on offense, KJ will be fine. I expect his shooting stroke to improve. Hopefully, he's gotten stronger because that was a very big issue last year as well.

Like others had said the Richardson starting is possible if G starts at the point. I don't think that happens as while he wasn't great last year, KJ really did show signs of being a solid point guard, if he can expand those flashes into more consistant PG play he'll be a great guard for us.

I don't think it's been said, but Diange could start over Coleman, even if Coleman is healthy. I just think that keeping Coleman healthy and really monitoring his minutes is easier coming from the bench, also very dependent on what speed and skill Coleman is at currently.

i haven't quit on joseph. i still think he's the best option given some seasoning. but he was definitely
in JB's doghouse to end the year. and if he hasn't done enuf this summer to win that confidence back
then as said above it's obviously (G) at the point at cooney at 2 . could be the worst SU backcourt since
mike chickenhead edwards and mike flopkins.

Last edited:
I agree. He wasn't expected to actually play meaningful minutes until this year. Now he's got a massive head start from a development standpoint. I think he'll surprise people.
That's exactly right...and exactly the reason to expect a big step up from him.

Hate to be an optimist about anything.
Better to be a pessimist and be surprised.
But Kaleb Joseph may be very good next season.
And the Orange will need it.

Not sure how much he'll contribute as a freshman, but by the time his SU career is over Tyler Lydon will prove to be the best of the incoming class.

Like others had said the Richardson starting is possible if G starts at the point. I don't think that happens as while he wasn't great last year, KJ really did show signs of being a solid point guard, if he can expand those flashes into more consistant PG play he'll be a great guard for us.

I don't think it's been said, but Diange could start over Coleman, even if Coleman is healthy. I just think that keeping Coleman healthy and really monitoring his minutes is easier coming from the bench, also very dependent on what speed and skill Coleman is at currently.
If Coleman is healthy, Diagne would have to make the biggest jump in defensive knowledge of any center in the last 10 years in order to start.

I think silent G plays the point better than KJ from what I've seen. Just keeping it honest. KJ really hasn't showed me much and its tough for me to honestly believe he can improve THAT much. I hope he does. I think the best lineup this year is G at the 1, Cooney and Richardson at the 2&3 and then Roberson and Diagne or DC at the 5. I hope KJ improves a lot. Not counting him out but he needs to improve big time IMO

Coleman - Very little chance Diagne starts imo. If Coleman isn't healthy, Chino has played/practiced for two years now. I am not sure Diagne would just jump into our toughest defensive assignment over Obokoh.
Roberson - Lydon or Diagne would be next in line, but Roberson will prove too valuable to sit much this year. Rebounding of course, but he "should" have a bigger role on offense.
G - Lydon or Mali. I don't think Richardson will be able to handle the forward position on defense his first year. Lydon is a sleeper here but I don't see it happening unless of injury/unforeseen.
Taters - Richardson could replace Coon dawg, but we'd be way too far in the hole by then. Live and die by Trevor. We need him next year. No way he doesn't start throughout.
KJ - Howard or Gbinije to start and that would again leave open a chance for Diagne or Lydon.

Not likely in all cases but either Diagne or Lydon and I think this would only happen if a starter had to sit out games or KJ can't hack it. Neither is happening. I have faith!

I think Malchi starts at the 3

Silent G
Cooney
Malchi
Roberson
Dc2

From an offensive standpoint, looking at the personal it seems to me we only have one true SF and that's Mike. If you put Mike at the PG spot, which IMO he can handle fine, you now lose your best, and possibly only, forward who can attack from the wing off the bounce. It just seems like it limits things offensively to me. Certainly for stretches Mike will play in the backcourt and the Tyler's and or Diange will man the forward spots but if its most of the game we are basically limiting our ability to attack from the perimeter off the bounce.

Joseph is going to improve! How much and in what area's we don't know for sure. A lot will depend on how hungry he is to prove himself. If he really wants it I think we could see a BIG leap because he has the physical tools and a pretty nice pull up jumper. We need him to be able to add a second guy who can attack from the perimeter with the bounce.

Even with the MikeG interview from yesterday I'll stick with this starting lineup.

Kaleb, Trevor, Mike, TylerR, Dajuan

I think Kaleb will show enough to at least have the first crack at it. If he fails depending on how the other freshman look it could lead to Malachi, TylerL or even Frank starting.

There seems to be some type of unanimity in having G improve to something short of hero status. While I believe he will be one of the leaders of this years team, I think some of that outlook is a little over the top.
Then there also seems to be a feeling among many that there are several (name your returning player) that will not improve. Seldom have I seen players who did not improve as there careers progressed. (My candidate for MIP is Roberson).
Finally, we have boundless optimism for freshmen who have never played a college game to even become starters on a top D-1 team! While we may see one or two get floor time, I see little chance for any of them to start.
I love the support for our team, but I suspect some have been drinking the Kool-Aid (or Jack) when making their pronouncements. :D

Coleman - Very little chance Diagne starts imo. If Coleman isn't healthy, Chino has played/practiced for two years now. I am not sure Diagne would just jump into our toughest defensive assignment over Obokoh.

To be completely honest, if Coleman can't go, I wouldn't be surprised to see Roberson start at the 5. It's probably not ideal, but it feels like something Boeheim might do because he doesn't trust anyone else on D. Then Diagne/Lydon would have to man the 4. I'd probably prefer that he sacrifice optimal D against the cupcakes to try and get Diagne/Obokoh up to speed at the 5, but I'm not sure he'd let that happen.

To be completely honest, if Coleman can't go, I wouldn't be surprised to see Roberson start at the 5. It's probably not ideal, but it feels like something Boeheim might do because he doesn't trust anyone else on D. Then Diagne/Lydon would have to man the 4. I'd probably prefer that he sacrifice optimal D against the cupcakes to try and get Diagne/Obokoh up to speed at the 5, but I'm not sure he'd let that happen.

I follow your logic, but Roberson weighs 205 pounds soaking wet [or at least he did last year]. There is no way he has the size required to play the pivot defensively in our zone.

Hopefully he's hit the weight room hard. At 220 pounds, with his nose for the ball, I could see him being a dominant rebounder and tough inside scorer. But everything else being equal, I have a tough time envisioning him even playing one minute at the 5.

I follow your logic, but Roberson weighs 205 pounds soaking wet [or at least he did last year]. There is no way he has the size required to play the pivot defensively in our zone.

Hopefully he's hit the weight room hard. At 220 pounds, with his nose for the ball, I could see him being a dominant rebounder and tough inside scorer. But everything else being equal, I have a tough time envisioning him even playing one minute at the 5.

I agree. It's not bad logic but I have a hard time envisioning Roberson being very successful at the 5 with his body. As I mentioned in that pic that was posted a few days ago, he's put on some upper body strength but I still wouldn't be comfortable in this situation. Hopefully it's only a case when we're in the 6th overtime of a game - a la Kris Joseph. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom