Does a high powered offense win out? | Syracusefan.com

Does a high powered offense win out?

chakka3421

All Conference
Given a high powered offense versus a high powered defense that we saw in the game last night, it reminded me to a lessor extend how we have bounced back and forth for the last 15 years since Coach P. Grob=D, DM=O, SS=D and now DFB=O.

Obviously you need both to a certain extent to make the playoffs but throughout those years I remember hearing myself saying different things like under DM, "Ryan's got this (especially the Missouri game)" to SS years, "punt because the D can stop them".

Given the game last night against that Bama D (so few teams can field a D like that), my gut tells me you need a high powered O favored over a high powered D like Bama to be in the game and win (Clemson really should have won last year too).

I was never confident that Bama's O could score even though they did as it was more about "game management". But everyone was confident that their D could stop Clemson. However, when Clemson had the ball I was confident in their O to score.

So the long short of it, I prefer DFB's offense more as defensive minded teams (along with our previous D HCs) will cause them to get tired and we will have better chances to win than we have a D minded coach that runs a weak O. Obviously our D needs to improve but they can only get better from here on out.

Anyway, that was an amazing game last night seeing the different styles in place on such a high level! Nuff said - really looking forward to next season to start! Until then, Go Cuse!

Not a black and white answer. I personally would venture to say that last night's game was not won by Clemson's offense or lost by Alabama's defense. Both are and were great, but the game was won by Clemson's defense and lost by Alabama's offense.

Alabama's freshman QB will be a really good one, but his youth showed last night through his inability to go through progressions. Clemson pressured him and as soon as he felt it, he no longer looked downfield. The TD to the TE was an absolutely fantastic call that kept them in it, but didn't make up for going 0-12 on 3rd down to close a tight game.

Given a high powered offense versus a high powered defense that we saw in the game last night, it reminded me to a lessor extend how we have bounced back and forth for the last 15 years since Coach P. Grob=D, DM=O, SS=D and now DFB=O.

Obviously you need both to a certain extent to make the playoffs but throughout those years I remember hearing myself saying different things like under DM, "Ryan's got this (especially the Missouri game)" to SS years, "punt because the D can stop them".

Given the game last night against that Bama D (so few teams can field a D like that), my gut tells me you need a high powered O favored over a high powered D like Bama to be in the game and win (Clemson really should have won last year too).

I was never confident that Bama's O could score even though they did as it was more about "game management". But everyone was confident that their D could stop Clemson. However, when Clemson had the ball I was confident in their O to score.

So the long short of it, I prefer DFB's offense more as defensive minded teams (along with our previous D HCs) will cause them to get tired and we will have better chances to win than we have a D minded coach that runs a weak O. Obviously our D needs to improve but they can only get better from here on out.

Anyway, that was an amazing game last night seeing the different styles in place on such a high level! Nuff said - really looking forward to next season to start! Until then, Go Cuse!

That's a pretty high powered Clemson defense.

Cool topic.

Good thing is, offense / defense are not mutually exclusive. I'd much rather have a good offense and a decent defense than a great defense and a decent offense.

I'm quite confident that we'll end up having a terrific offense. Hope the defensive production improves over time, so that we can play top teams in bowls and hold our own.

During the broadcast the announcers said Clemson wanted to hit 80 plays on offense because after that Alabama's defense would wear down. Don't know if I saw that necessarily, I think Clemson's offense got more confident, but that was the alleged strategy.

Also think that running more plays is an overall advantage to the offensive coordinator. Gives the defensive coordinator more they have to consider in terms of data points and offense has a good data set for what will work.

A 35-31 game with the TD scored with 1 second on the clock is a whole bunch of shades of gray and small incremental points and randomness and much less about bold black and white definitive statements. Great game.

There are a lot of ways to win big time games. That's what I took away from this. I think great offense beats great defense most of the time.

A 35-31 game with the TD scored with 1 second on the clock is a whole bunch of shades of gray and small incremental points and randomness and much less about bold black and white definitive statements. Great game.
Not to mention, Clemson WRs had some unreal catches to keep the chains moving. Absolutely unreal athleticism.

Well, a great offense is going to get it's licks in on even the greatest defenses. But as far as "high powered offenses" that too is a gray area. There's "high powered offense" as a philosophy, in terms of tempo, stressing the defense, chunk plays, etc. And there's "high powered offense" defined by having a generational talent at QB and NFL WRs all over the field.

2013 FSU was the most productive offense of all time, and it was very slow in terms of tempo. It just out-talented and out-executed everyone.

Clemson effectively married the two...incredible offensive talent AND they deployed it in a way that really let them squeeze every drop out of it. But I still think it was more about the caliber of players. Astounding physical plays by the likes of Cain, Williams, Leggit and of course Watson were the difference.

Not to mention, Clemson WRs had some unreal catches to keep the chains moving. Absolutely unreal athleticism.
1 play of over 150? plays falls differently and someone will definitively say a great Defense is always best. Both teams are great.

with today's rules - offense is going to win more than defense.
Mainly because offensive pass interference never gets called. They should just go old school Madden and let the WR and DB just go at it.

with today's rules - offense is going to win more than defense.
Close games by two great teams don't easily lend themselves to definitive statements like this.
All I know is Clemson won last night.

It's very simple.

On offense, you're in control. You make the choices.

On defense, you're reactive. You counter.

The great coach Jimmy McGinty said that winners always want the ball when the game is on the line. There's a reason why he said that.

That's a pretty high powered Clemson defense.
yards per play
offense
bama 22nd
clemson 34th

defense
bama 1st
clemson 5th

I bet their yards per play goes down because they have such big leads and don't bother taking chances. i bet if you did first half only, both would be further toward the top in both. to get to the national championship you have to be good at everything, great at something, and a little lucky

if you take each teams rank in yards per play O and D and rank the average of them, you get this (just the top 25)

Name Rank
Louisville 1
Washington 2
LSU 3
Alabama 3
Western Kentucky 5
Miami (Florida) 6
Clemson 7
Boise State 8
San Diego State 8
Penn State 10
Ohio State 11
Middle Tennessee 12
Appalachian State 12
Temple 14
North Carolina 15
Florida State 15
Auburn 17
Michigan 18
USC 19
Old Dominion 20
Louisiana Tech 21
Toledo 22
Oklahoma 23
South Florida 23
West Virginia 25

I dont think that ALA QB ever becomes much more than he is now.. I nice athlete playing with a power oline and really good RBs.

Still Ala dumbed it down on offense so much it allowed Clem to hang around and let their athletes make plays . It also should be noted that Watkins threw 3-4 balls that should have been intercepted and the WR saved another TD on the fumble or the game likely is over mid 3rd even with the avg QB play for Ala.

Those two teams were there because they had loads more talent than anyone else.

Clemson happened to have the more seasoned QB.
It's all about talent. Last night was the ultimate "stars matter" game.

There's no one and done rule so you can't have a team of upperclassmen make a run like in CBB. Clemson and Bama are recruiting absolute studs lately and that is why they've played each other two years in a row for the Title.

Allow me to repeat myself: the gap between Watson and Hurts is bigger than the gap between the two defenses.

Give me the better QB and a top 10 defense, all day every day.

It's very simple.

On offense, you're in control. You make the choices.

On defense, you're reactive. You counter.

The great coach Jimmy McGinty said that winners always want the ball when the game is on the line. There's a reason why he said that.
Jimmy McGinty wasn't qualified to do more than coach a bunch of has-beens and never was's.
Oh and strippers don't make good cheerleaders either, not in real life anyway lol.

There are a lot of ways to win big time games. That's what I took away from this. I think great offense beats great defense most of the time.

True, the way to beat saban is match him up front and have a very good qb. Saban loses to qbs...manziel, cam, chad kelly, etc. Offenses that spread them out do well. Also, the qbs in tbe sec, minus kelly, are a joke. This is why bama bullies the sec.

During the broadcast the announcers said Clemson wanted to hit 80 plays on offense because after that Alabama's defense would wear down. Don't know if I saw that necessarily, I think Clemson's offense got more confident, but that was the alleged strategy.

Also think that running more plays is an overall advantage to the offensive coordinator. Gives the defensive coordinator more they have to consider in terms of data points and offense has a good data set for what will work.
most teams want to shorten the game as much as possible vs bama to make the beating look less bad, makes sense that they might wear down

the coaches show even made a point of why Clemson was struggling some early.. They were so used to being better they didnt know how to run plays when they werent. bama is much the same.. they played a team that could be physical with them and now they actually have to make plays. I think the play calling let them down last night and they tried to do too much with the QB who was so used to teams have to stack the box and have WR running open. They never really ran the QB zone read like they did against Auburn , the few times they really ran the ball the RB ran well until he got dinged..

Didnt they also lose a big TE in the Wash game?

most teams want to shorten the game as much as possible vs bama to make the beating look less bad, makes sense that they might wear down

Actually, just the opposite. Teams with capable qbs, spread offensive concepts, and decent defensive lines can play with saban. He never has a great qb, but rather great olines and big rbs. Teams with capable qbs and strong fronts give him fits. Most teams in the sec don't have a very good qb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom