Dom Madonna - G - Transfer from Merrimack | Syracusefan.com

Dom Madonna - G - Transfer from Merrimack

http://www.merrimackathletics.com/sports/mlax/2014-15/bios/madonna_dom_5v25

2015: USILA Second-Team All-American … NEILA All-New England First Team … NE-10 All-Conference Second Team … ECAC Second-Team All-Star ... Two-time Corvias ECAC Goalkeeper of the Week and three-time NE-10 Goalkeeper of the Week … One of the top goalkeepers nationwide, ranking fourth in both goals-against average (7.25) and save percentage (.586) … Averaged 9.27 saves per game … Manned the net for 811:09, or 84 percent of team’s total playing time on the season … Posted career-high 17 saves in important overtime road win against Adelphi (3/21) … Logged seven double-digit save performances on the season … Allowed only two goals over 60 minutes in road win at Saint Michael’s (4/1).

2014: Northeast-10 All-Conference Rookie Team selection ... Named NE-10 Rookie of the Week on April 29 ... Was team's primary goalkeepr for most of his freshman season ... Ranked among top-five in conference and top-10 nationally in GAA ... In 16 appearances, went 10-3 in net with an 8.31 GAA and .556 SV% ... Boasted eight games with double-digit saves ... Turned in a career-high 17-save effort at Pace (4/12) ... Also finished with 30 ground balls and four caused turnovers.

Before Merrimack: Upstate Under Armour Lacrosse All-American….2011 Section 3 CNYCL Honorable Mention…2012 Section 3 CNYCL 2nd Team All Star…137 saves (4.8 GAA) and 64% save percentage as a sophomore…187 saves (4.5 GAA) and 71% save percentage as a junior…Led Liverpool to a combined 32-3 record over the past two seasons ... Also recruited by Binghamton, Le Moyne, Hartford and Army.

Hopefully Madonna will justify my love for SU lacrosse. I'm kind of like a virgin to the sport; I don't know it very well, but I support SU athletics. It's good that he's a local kid from Liverpool, which is kind of on the borderline with Syracuse. Dom, can't wait to dress you up in an SU uniform. Don't be afraid to express yourself out there.

Hopefully Madonna will justify my love for SU lacrosse. I'm kind of like a virgin to the sport; I don't know it very well, but I support SU athletics. It's good that he's a local kid from Liverpool, which is kind of on the borderline with Syracuse. Dom, can't wait to dress you up in an SU uniform. Don't be afraid to express yourself out there.

That's bad. Even for you. :rolling:

Interesting development here to say the least. Seems like a high end transfer but the jump from 1AA to 1A is considerable. Still think Warren wins the job but if this kid has a redshirt year might be a good idea to redshirt him leaving him with 2 years to play after Hill graduates.

Interesting development here to say the least. Seems like a high end transfer but the jump from 1AA to 1A is considerable. Still think Warren wins the job but if this kid has a redshirt year might be a good idea to redshirt him leaving him with 2 years to play after Hill graduates.

Remember that Ferrigan transferred out. I believe that Hill and Callahan are the only scholarship goalies left.

Nobody coming in with the 2015 Class. Two goalies coming for 2016-17.

Remember that Ferrigan transferred out. I believe that Hill and Callahan are the only scholarship goalies left.

Malloy and Avallone are still on the roster as well.

Pretty sure there is another scholarship guy on the roster, will check when I have a chance.

Frozen, don't preach. Getting this goalie is like a prayer.

even assuming he redshirts it seems like an odd transfer for a junior. there's good young goalies on the roster and i'd be shocked if Hill isn't the starter next season.

He's a communication major (Newhouse) from Liverpool. Perhaps he just wants to throw his hat in the ring and see if he can play at the D1 level. I would imagine nothing was promised to him. Good for him for making a go of it and taking a risk. Its not easy being a Cuse goalie.

He's a communication major (Newhouse) from Liverpool. Perhaps he just wants to throw his hat in the ring and see if he can play at the D1 level. I would imagine nothing was promised to him. Good for him for making a go of it and taking a risk. Its not easy being a Cuse goalie.

That might be an incentive to redshirt. Does anyone know if he finished his degree? Could go the Newhouse grad school route maybe?

That might be an incentive to redshirt. Does anyone know if he finished his degree? Could go the Newhouse grad school route maybe?

He's only going to be a Junior.

that's a big factor then. this might have more to do with education then than playing lacrosse.

You're obviously living for this kind of love.

He is not a communications major. He is an engineering major. Merrimack's engineering department isn't accredited which contributed to his decision to transfer.

If anyone questions his talent, watch some of his game film from Merrimack. He has the talent and the size (6 foot 180 lbs) to be dangerous between the pipes for Syracuse.

Madonna comes in with two years of high level D2 experience, experience in the NCAA dance, and plenty of accolades, not to mention being named a 2nd Team AA keeper.

I don't think a red shirt is even in the equation for him. He has the talent and skill to compete for the 1 spot and he should do just that.

This should be an interesting race to see who wins the spot between the pipes. People rejoice OCC transfers to Syracuse and immediately declare them talented enough to play at the higher level. As a 2nd Team AA D2 goalie, I think Madonna has the same potential. Heaven knows he's faced tougher competition than any OCC transfer.

Last edited:
He comes in with plenty of big game experience. The current troupe of keepers at Syracuse all lack this. Hill is a transfer from OCC that has zero competition and the others have seen minimal minutes.

Hill was the starting goalie for the Iroquois National team in last year's World Games. I'd think that playing against Team USA and Team Canada was pretty tough competition.

OnlyOrange- The talent at OCC is way ahead of the talent at Lemoyne. I saw OCC beat Lemoyne in a early fall ball game , when OCC hadn't even made cuts yet and they probably barely knew each others names. Put it this way the starting goalie at Lemoyne this year who was all american and goalie of the year in d2 over Madonna... did not make the OCC team when he tried out,he was cut. Not taken anything away from Madonna because I think he is a very good goalie but Hill is a world team goalie.

Last edited:
Looks like Dom has a little brother in the Class of 2018

Derrek Madonna, Midfield, Liverpool (N.Y.)/Orange Crush, 2018

Madonna stood out at the Orange Crush event as an athletic playmaker on both sides of the ball and naturally in between the lines given his speed. Madonna is a righty and can shoot the ball hard. He was able to get his hands free up top with some time and room on a number of occasions. He led the clear on several plays and assisted on goals in transition. He sees the field well and will look to his teammates off the dodge, which he did in set offense at the event. You can see his athleticism when he starts to dodge.

http://3drising.com/articles/recruiting/orange-crush-recruiting-showcase-standouts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom