Dom Starsia out at Virginia / Lars Tiffany in | Syracusefan.com

Dom Starsia out at Virginia / Lars Tiffany in

Don't know which is worse - non-committal, or the dreaded vote of confidence...

I think he's done, the natives are ready to revolt down there.

Well that's where early recruiting gets you! I've never been a huge fan of UVA's style but have respect for Starsia, someone mentioned on ESPN the other day that it has to the players as he hasn't forgotten how to coach! Fair comment I thought.

History repeats and they hire Lars Tiffany?

History repeats and they hire Lars Tiffany?
Crazy how he's turned things around in a few years. Worked with a guy who's son played for him a few years ago. They were ready to kick him to the curb but he took the shackles off the offense and now might be the hottest name out there.

Other names frequently mentioned - Shay from Yale, Ben DeLuca, and Toomey from Loyola.

Starsia should grow his mustache back. Lost his mojo without it.

In all seriousness, it makes me sad that he is on the hotseat. Funny how things change. The UVa vs. SU game was always so entertaining.

The title team in 2006 is in the conversation for best team of all time. They just crushed teams.

The title team in 2006 is in the conversation for best team of all time. They just crushed teams.

That team was loaded, led by Matt Ward. Got us twice and seemed like their entire team was named AA's.

That team was loaded, led by Matt Ward. Got us twice and seemed like their entire team was named AA's.

As I recall we had beat Hopkins a few years before in the final four after getting crushed during the regular season. I held out hope that Desko would find a way to adjust and take it to UVa. Nope.

The George Huguely murder of Yardley Love may have had a significant impact on recruiting. Fair or not a culture gets blamed sometimes.

Starsia should grow his mustache back. Lost his mojo without it.

In all seriousness, it makes me sad that he is on the hotseat. Funny how things change. The UVa vs. SU game was always so entertaining.

The best comment about that team was made by Tony Seaman. He was the coach at Towson at the time and was doing the color for the ESPN broadcast of the quarterfinal against Georgetown. The team was whipping the ball around and it was hard to keep up with Hoo had it. Seaman said, "Virginia passes harder than my guys shoot."

The best comment about that team was made by Tony Seaman. He was the coach at Towson at the time and was doing the color for the ESPN broadcast of the quarterfinal against Georgetown. The team was whipping the ball around and it was hard to keep up with Hoo had it. Seaman said, "Virginia passes harder than my guys shoot."

I have to admit, watching that team was easy on the eyes. Except twice when they beat us.

Don't know how much credence to give it, but ... One of our posters on LP with close ties to folks in the know implies that the deal for the new coach has been signed.:noidea:

It'll be interesting to see what impact (if any) replacing Starsia has on recruiting.

This would be the first blue blood program coaching change since the madness of 8th-10th grade commitments.

I hope it shines a light on how badly needed recruiting guidelines need to be reformed and enforced because greedy club douches are contributing to ruining the sport.

The announcement of Dom's retirement is expected this afternoon. The source on our board says they will not announce his replacement at that press conference. Most on our board think that means the replacement's team is still playing, as a posting on LP said he had been signed, but won't be announced until they're finished. It's very sad that it's come down to this. It just shows you that first you make plans and then life happens.:(

Last edited:
UVA needed to make the move it was time, they were getting into Princeton territory where if they didn't do something they risked falling completely into the abyss. As it is I suspect any new coach is going to need at least a few year to get things back on track.

UVA needed to make the move it was time, they were getting into Princeton territory where if they didn't do something they risked falling completely into the abyss. As it is I suspect any new coach is going to need at least a few year to get things back on track.
That's hard to say. He's definitely got to do something about how our offense likes to stand around and watch someone dodge instead of moving around themselves. But I have to think that the cupboard's not bare since Corrigan was quoted after the ND game as saying we had talent because he recruited our players, too. Most of our posters believe that the problem lies in a lack of player development. The players come in at what was a very high level for HS players and never improve from there.

Last edited:
That's too bad. Starsia was a coach I always wanted to hate (because we have such a rivalry with UVa) but couldn't. But it seems it was time for a move to be made. Have to think it will be the HC of one of Brown/Yale/Loyola/Towson.

That's too bad. Starsia was a coach I always wanted to hate (because we have such a rivalry with UVa) but couldn't. But it seems it was time for a move to be made. Have to think it will be the HC of one of Brown/Yale/Loyola/Towson.
Speculation centers on Tiffany of Brown and Toomey of Loyola. One of our posters thinks Nadelein of Towson will go to Princeton. It may not be Shay because they probably would have had him introduced at the presser.

The announcement of Dom's retirement is expected this afternoon. The source on our board says they will not announce his replacement at that press conference. Most on our board think that means the replacement's team is still playing, as a posting on LP said he had been signed, but won't be announced until they're finished. It's very sad that it's come down to this. It just shows you that first you make plans and then life happens.:(

Announcing the replacement at the news conference would be extremely tacky. Starsia deserves to go out with his head up, and not upstaged by the announcement of a new coach. Also, the new coach doesn't need to be associated with what some will see as Starsia's sacking. It's much healthier and respectful to separate the two events.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom