Dom Starsia out at Virginia / Lars Tiffany in | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dom Starsia out at Virginia / Lars Tiffany in

Man what a cluster, UVA really handled this badly.

UVa is not clean here as they should have got ahead of this story. Yet it might be Inside Lacrosse who really bungled this story. There are reports that there was no email sent from Virginia to the lacrosse alumni but it is was lacrosse alumni insiders themselves emailing each other. That to me is similar to taking information from a message board and assuming it is fact. Sure once it was out they could have confirmed it with some kind of regret about the rumors.

Virginia lacrosse has been about athleticism and playing a beautiful game (and always tenacious on ground balls.) Corrigan, and Tillman even more so, are control freaks. Their teams are tedious, prosaic. I don't see how Virginia lacrosse fans would tolerate either of them. I think they would go after Tiffany.
http://www.brownbears.com/sports/m-lacros/coaches/Kirwan_Sean

Tiffany never had this kind if success without him. Totally different animal leading a team as a head coach. Kirwan is very young but if you want to play like Brown this is the man to hire.
UVa is not clean here as they should have got ahead of this story. Yet it might be Inside Lacrosse who really bungled this story. There are reports that there was no email sent from Virginia to the lacrosse alumni but it is was lacrosse alumni insiders themselves emailing each other. That to me is similar to taking information from a message board and assuming it is fact. Sure once it was out they could have confirmed it with some kind of regret about the rumors.
Everyone on our board is pretty universal in not wanting Corrigan. Yes, he's an alum, but his sideline demeanor, slow offense, etc., are huge minuses in our eyes. One of our posters even suggested there could be a mass exodus of recruits and current players if he is hired.

Tillman is viewed as a nice guy, but painfully slow on offense. Offense is very important in this selection. We have always been about athletes in motion going back to the 70s. (Sometimes I can hear Glenn Thiel yelling, "Make yourself dangerous without the ball," in my sleep.) Lately we've been using a variation of the Navy offense - one guy who dodges until he has a shot or gets tired, while the other 5 guys stand around and watch him. Then he passes to the next guy who dodges until he has a shot or gets tired, while the other 5 guys stand around and watch him. Then he passes to the next guy ...

If we had our druthers, it would be one of (in no particular order): Toomey from Loyola, Tiffany from Brown provided he brought the whole staff with him, Shay from Yale, Nadelein from Towson, and Amplo from Marquette.

Tiffany is from Lafayette, HS and had an assistant stint at LeMoyne. Shay is a LeMoyne grad. Go Phins!

Staff too? Does that mean associate head couch Van Arsdale is out. After Huguely conviction for 2nd degree murder Starsia was on thin ice...

Last edited:
Staff too? Does that mean associate head couch Van Arsdale is out. After Huguely conviction for 2nd degree murder Starsia was on thin ice...
6 years is an awfully long time to be on thin ice

Yes. Starting over with a clean slate. The new coach will have his choice of assistants with no "You gotta take this one from the old staff" requirements.

Yes. Starting over with a clean slate. The new coach will have his choice of assistants with no "You gotta take this one from the old staff" requirements.
As it should be. Good luck!

milton_basement_office_space_18104_600_400.jpg

Coach Starsia displayed a lot of class in the interview by putting others before himself and not venting about his mishandling after all the good years he gave UVA. Have to respect mature coaches like him and Coach Desko for their dignified ways.

Have to agree. Class act through-and-through.

My source just told me that Corrigan to UVa and Byrne will be promoted at ND.

Not a surprising hire

Not a surprising hire
Good time for Corrigan to jump. Next year is a rebuilding year after they lose a lot of talent.

Not a surprising hire
Didn't realize he was an alum. Should make for a boring program in Charlottesville.

Way different playing style then Starsia. Defensive minded. Although he will get better talent at UVA. Perhaps he evolves like Tierney has at Denver, and opens the offense a bit more. Good hire. Proven track record. Not sure who else would be "better."

Best of luck to him at UVa. Sadly, it looks as if the days of the SU-UVa track meets are over :(

What a terrible mistake. It's like Syracuse replacing Desko with Tillman.

This hire (if true) is baffling to me. First of all Corrigan is a good coach with a darn good track record there is no disputing that, however, I am not sure this is the best fit for either party. One UVA is desperate for immediate results after the last few years and as good a coach as Corrigan is the current roster and his style are going to be way out of whack. Going to take him at least a season or two to get things the way he wants it and that's assuming recruiting and player retention goes well.

Second UVA is an up and down team, not as much as they used to be but they are still a track meet type team who prefers to win 15-14 versus 7-6. The roster is set up that way and the fanbase expects that. Corrigan is the exact opposite of that, he preaches defense first, slowing the ball down offensively and going with a patient methodical style. Again winning cures all but this is like Syracuse hiring Petro the styles are so radically different it's easy to see how things could get of the rails quickly if he struggles.

Third even though he is an alumnus I am not sure Corrigan knows what hes getting himself into. Its one thing to have had some great teams at ND and just come up short for a title but at UVA that will be considered underachieving. If you look at the last 3 years ND has had some ridiculously good teams with very little to show for it. They have been bounced in the 1st round of the ACC tourney the last two years and haven't fared much better the past two NCAA tourney's especially this years blowout loss. Not saying he can't or wont' have success at UVA but the criticism at ND for underachieving the past few years has been minimal at best at UVA it will be front and center much like how Desko has started to take on more and more water with the SU fan base the past few years.

To me UVA would have been better off going with a young up and coming coach who runs a more free flowing offense that can gameplan and use the myriad of UA all Americans on that team to generate better results. Corrigan is a pretty good coach but as noted the styles are vastly different and he's certainly not in the prime of his coaching career age wise. I won't call it a bad hire by any stretch but it seems bizarre to me to say the least.

Best of luck to him at UVa. Sadly, it looks as if the days of the SU-UVa track meets are over :(
If the rest of the posters on TheSabre are like me, they don't know what to make of this. The biggest concerns most have are his slow, grind-it-out offense and his sideline demeanor. Most of us believe that the problem we have faced in recent years is due primarily to the slowness of our offense. We long for the days when we ran people off the field. In my mind, what is happening now goes against everything we have done in the past, especially how people ball-watch on offense which allows their defenders to be in a position to slide. For some reason I can't explain, off-ball movement has become an oxymoron in C'ville. Our defense has been poor since Walker left. People are out of position, ball-watching, leaving people wide-open on the crease, etc.

Maybe Corrigan will see the light and have us in motion again. Tierney "changed" when he went to Denver. I hope he can find a new DC (bring back Walker?) to straighten out the problems on that end of the field, since the story is that Byrne will take over as their HC.

The sideline stuff? Well, We hope he won't reach the "height of mastery of the art form" achieved by Tierney and Petro as long as they're still active.

Hoo's That said:
If the rest of the posters on TheSabre are like me, they don't know what to make of this. The biggest concerns most have are his slow, grind-it-out offense and his sideline demeanor. Most of us believe that the problem we have faced in recent years is due primarily to the slowness of our offense. We long for the days when we ran people off the field. In my mind, what is happening now goes against everything we have done in the past, especially how people ball-watch on offense which allows their defenders to be in a position to slide. For some reason I can't explain, off-ball movement has become an oxymoron in C'ville. Our defense has been poor since Walker left. People are out of position, ball-watching, leaving people wide-open on the crease, etc. Maybe Corrigan will see the light and have us in motion again. Tierney "changed" when he went to Denver. I hope he can find a new DC (bring back Walker?) to straighten out the problems on that end of the field, since the story is that Byrne will take over as their HC. The sideline stuff? Well, We hope he won't reach the "height of mastery of the art form" achieved by Tierney and Petro as long as they're still active.

Tierney's teams led the nation in scoring how many times at Princeton?

Good coaches are good coaches, they adapt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom