Dome survey | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dome survey

It seems like the Dome's business model, as well as the facility itself, is a throwback to an earlier era. The tickets are readily available and pretty reasonably priced, so we can pack in huge crowds of "regular fans" who don't complain too much about the discomfort and lack of amenities. Newer facilities are built to make money mostly off the big donors and corporate sponsors. So they get a much better game day experience, but it's harder and more expensive for average fans to get in.

I understand the university's interest in appealing to the big money crowd, but I do wonder whether a city like Syracuse can support it. It's not exactly a center of industry these days

Where's the option for new on-site stadium?

Not saying that's what I would vote for, but it's been discussed here, at least, so I'm surprised only an off-site facility is an option.

On-site would mean the football team plays away games for a season or two and the basketball team gets squeezed into Manley for a season or two (was Manley gutted or can it still accomodate a crowd?)

The revenue losses would be pretty high.

On-site would mean the football team plays away games for a season or two and the basketball team gets squeezed into Manley for a season or two (was Manley gutted or can it still accomodate a crowd?)

Manley is now a smaller version of the IPF. No seats.

Manley is now a smaller version of the IPF. No seats.

I thought it might've been. So that would leave the War Memorial? Or LeMoyne's court, maybe.

Edit: Maybe the football team could play at the Chief's stadium.

i liked that there were only even numbers of season tickets you could buy. no option to buy 1, which is what i do

so many surveys are junk. they're going to overestimate potential season ticket sales by default

When you say "they" do you mean the current season ticket holders filling out the surveys. If it's garbage in then it is garbage out.

I would hope they aren't using it for anything other than giving people the impression they had a say in things.

I don't think the results will be particularly valid. You can complete it simply by clicking on the link provided in the original post and you can probably do that as many times as you wish. So if you really like the loge seats vote early and often.

I thought it might've been. So that would leave the War Memorial? Or LeMoyne's court, maybe.

Edit: Maybe the football team could play at the Chief's stadium.

War Memorial seats 6,000. SU has 18,000 season ticket holders. If everyone gets to see only 1/3 of the schedule, nobody will be happy.

NBT Stadium seats maybe 12k. Anything along the 1st base side is lousy for football. Cornell is an hour away, Orchard Park is almost 3 hours.

IMO if you start driving paying customers away from the program, you may not get them back. Especially on the football side.

Can you build an upgraded football stadium in the footprint of the Dome? I don't see how you could. Is there space there to accommodate something bigger? I assume that even if you maintained an approx. 50K capacity you would need a bigger footprint to allow space for a full adult sized butt for each ticket issued to say nothing of accommodating bigger suites, wider concourses, more pee troughs, better concessions facilities, club areas, better locker room facilities etc.

I hope people filled it out honestly.

I did and expressed no interest in club seats.
Me, too! I'm there to watch a game, not to lounge around like a lizard.

texascpa said:
Where's the option for new on-site stadium? Not saying that's what I would vote for, but it's been discussed here, at least, so I'm surprised only an off-site facility is an option.

The survey was solely about renovations to the current structure. It included pics too!

cuseguy said:
Isn't that what the survey is for?

Yea as long as people are honest and think about it. Easy to say you'd love those things but is that person going to actually pony up the money needed?

cliftonparksufan said:
When you say "they" do you mean the current season ticket holders filling out the surveys. If it's garbage in then it is garbage out.

They being SU.

War Memorial seats 6,000. SU has 18,000 season ticket holders. If everyone gets to see only 1/3 of the schedule, nobody will be happy.

NBT Stadium seats maybe 12k. Anything along the 1st base side is lousy for football. Cornell is an hour away, Orchard Park is almost 3 hours.

IMO if you start driving paying customers away from the program, you may not get them back. Especially on the football side.

Agreed.

Me, too! I'm there to watch a game, not to lounge around like a lizard.
Club seats are the present in all new stadiums and the future in all remodeled stadiums. Club 44 is going to be huge!!! Literally!!!

Can you build an upgraded football stadium in the footprint of the Dome? I don't see how you could. Is there space there to accommodate something bigger? I assume that even if you maintained an approx. 50K capacity you would need a bigger footprint to allow space for a full adult sized butt for each ticket issued to say nothing of accommodating bigger suites, wider concourses, more pee troughs, better concessions facilities, club areas, better locker room facilities etc.

It might be doable, but I don't think it would be worth it to tear down the stadium for a new one that would only be a modest improvement. Go big or go home. At the least, we'd want a new stadium with 5-10k more seats, better boxes, more concessions and bathrooms, and significantly improved concourses.

I think the biggest draw of rebuilding on-site is that the stadium will remain on campus. That doesn't outweigh the limitations, though.

As an aside, the most important feature I'd want incorporated into a new stadium would be some kind of configuration that makes the basketball atmosphere more intimate, while still being able to hold 30k+. Moveable bleachers that could surround the court and create something like an arena inside and arena, would be sweet.

I took it. My 2 cents, as an out of town donor if they made selective access to these sites for the time of two we get to go to the Dome a year that would go a long way.

It might be doable, but I don't think it would be worth it to tear down the stadium for a new one that would only be a modest improvement. Go big or go home. At the least, we'd want a new stadium with 5-10k more seats, better boxes, more concessions and bathrooms, and significantly improved concourses.

I think the biggest draw of rebuilding on-site is that the stadium will remain on campus. That doesn't outweigh the limitations, though.

As an aside, the most important feature I'd want incorporated into a new stadium would be some kind of configuration that makes the basketball atmosphere more intimate, while still being able to hold 30k+. Moveable bleachers that could surround the court and create something like an arena inside and arena, would be sweet.

Stadiums in general are getting smaller in capacity with nicer stuff. The Yanks and Mets for instance each shaved off 10k plus seats in their new digs but with tons more high revenue locations in the building.

cliftonparksufan said:
Club seats are the present in all new stadiums and the future in all remodeled stadiums. Club 44 is going to be huge!!! Literally!!!

College or pro?

Stadium seating and Wi-Fi will do it for me. Well, along with some interesting beer choices. Otherwise, I am only interested in the game, not all the froo-froo.

cliftonparksufan said:
Both. Didn't you see the college examples they showed and they are definitely in all the pro stadiums.

Yea I saw the pics. But they are rare in the college stadiums and demographics and economics have to be factored in also. That last drawing I think showed all 3 options. This area just can't support that type of stadium knowing there will be a high price tag for a fan to buy those seats.

People said the courtside seats would be too expensive for this market too. I don't think SU needs to go box crazy, but it could work as it does at Baylor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom