Down goes SU | Syracusefan.com

Down goes SU

SWC75

Bored Historian
I felt they were totally outplayed and lucky to get it that close with a rush at the end. Too many loose balls they couldn’t get control of and too many hurried, impatient shots. JH played smart and was in control of the game most of the time. They won their share of face-offs, eliminating a big advantage SU had had all year. An there were some earlier games that indicated that this wasn’t a great SU defensive team. The early blow-out wins masked some vulnerability there. But they were unmasked today.

A frustrating school year: the football team gets wiped out by injuries and goes 3-9. The basketball team is rocked by scandal and goes 18-13, their worst record in 34 years, skipping the post season. Now the lacrosse team looks like the best team in the country but fails to play like it in the tournament. Different situations but all very frustrating.

Being a Syracuse fan has been a pretty good deal over the years but the 2014-15 school year will not be remembered with pleasure.

I felt they were totally outplayed and lucky to get it that close with a rush at the end. Too many loose balls they couldn’t get control of and too many hurried, impatient shots. JH played smart and was in control of the game most of the time. They won their share of face-offs, eliminating a big advantage SU had had all year. An there were some earlier games that indicated that this wasn’t a great SU defensive team. The early blow-out wins masked some vulnerability there. But they were unmasked today.

A frustrating school year: the football team gets wiped out by injuries and goes 3-9. The basketball team is rocked by scandal and goes 18-13, their worst record in 34 years, skipping the post season. Now the lacrosse team looks like the best team in the country but fails to play like it in the tournament. Different situations but all very frustrating.

Being a Syracuse fan has been a pretty good deal over the years but the 2014-15 school year will not be remembered with pleasure.
Well, WLAX is in the Final Four. And, Gait....I won't go there.

Last week, Quint and Carcaterra were pointing out that the defense would struggle against JHU's off-ball movement. Neither of them was all that impressed with SU's defense. And, in fact, it is the achilles heel. Wardwell, is an average D1 goalie. They have one top notch defender - Mullins. The short stick middies as pointed out elsewhere are a huge liability. This business of not recruiting SSDMs is failing miserably. Hope for some serious D help coming in.

Well, WLAX is in the Final Four. And, Gait...I won't go there.

Last week, Quint and Carcaterra were pointing out that the defense would struggle against JHU's off-ball movement. Neither of them was all that impressed with SU's defense. And, in fact, it is the achilles heel. Wardwell, is an average D1 goalie. They have one top notch defender - Mullins. The short stick middies as pointed out elsewhere are a huge liability. This business of not recruiting SSDMs is failing miserably. Hope for some serious D help coming in.
On the bright side, Mullins is back and the rest of the D will be new. Galasso, Rice, and Staats are huge losses, but too much has been made of the rest the seniors - particulary the other first team middies. Both are replaceable.

On the bright side, Mullins is back and the rest of the D will be new. Galasso, Rice, and Staats are huge losses, but too much has been made of the rest the seniors - particulary the other first team middies. Both are replaceable.

Mullins, D'Agostino, McDermott, Firman, Grimm, Gillis, and Ciferri are all back.

SU fell behind early and never really threatened to dominate despite some small leads. outplayed both ends.
a very disappointing finish for a team many considered to be the top seed over all. no bright side here.

Lousy performance. We got out physical-ed and outhustled. And the result was a big hole that we had to dig out of. If we were down 3 goals instead of 5 with 4 minutes to go...

Really too bad. Above all, I can't stand Hopkins.

Completely agree. I thought groundballs were the difference. I don't know what the stats say, but JH's seemed to win every important / contested groundball.

RF2044 said:
Lousy performance. We got out physical-ed and outhustled. And the result was a big hole that we had to dig out of. If we were down 3 goals instead of 5 with 4 minutes to go... Really too bad. Above all, I can't stand Hopkins.

the women's LAX team is still in it, played a hell of a game against Loyola yesterday.

It's frustrating that you don't play that hard and with that much urgency during the entire game and not just the last few minutes.

I thought nothing of the empty netter until we lost by one oomph

Oh and Lecky is the greatest player that wasn't. Good god what athletic gifts and blazing shot but he just stunk. Terrible iq and shot selection decisions. The coaches never making him bounce a shot in 4 years is on them.

We are 6 years into this decade and still haven't won a lacrosse championship in it.

Very strange.

Cheers,
Neil

We are 6 years into this decade and still haven't won a lacrosse championship in it.

Very strange.

Cheers,
Neil
and looking at we have coming back and the never change coaching philosophy we might not win one for quite a few years.

It's frustrating that you don't play that hard and with that much urgency during the entire game and not just the last few minutes.

Oh and Lecky is the greatest player that wasn't. Good god what athletic gifts and blazing shot but he just stunk. Terrible iq and shot selection decisions. The coaches never making him bounce a shot in 4 years is on them.
Lecky - game-breaking talent, heart-breaking player. Had what? 5 shots go high and wide of the net?

Final fours and championships becoming more and more elusive under the Desko regime. They lose way too much talent to be considered a final four threat next year.
Eh. let the season play out. Remember the "Is Petro on the hot seat?" thread from a month ago? Enough talented pieces coming back, and enough new ones to shake things up to make a run. Not making excuses for Desko - losing early is becoming too much of a habit.

I feel like Williams' success on the face off hid the lack of talent on the defensive end. I also think Staats wasn't 100% at all this season. Not his fault but I expected more. Disappointing end to an exciting season.

I feel like Williams' success on the face off hid the lack of talent on the defensive end. I also think Staats wasn't 100% at all this season. Not his fault but I expected more. Disappointing end to an exciting season.
Evans turnovers were a critical factor today, and Lecky tried to split two defenders again lost the ball. Both players have been disappointing, in my opinion.

That play where we couldn't get control of the loose ball and one guy fished it out toward a teammate who dropped it, leading the empty netter symbolized the whole game- and maybe the whole school year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom