Class of 2017 - DT Chris Elmore (IL) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 DT Chris Elmore (IL) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

I'm happy to get Chris Elmore but still a bit disappointed that we seem to be competing with MAC schools for this class.

I hope I'm wrong about that but it seems that fewer of our recruits - compared to the last three years - are being targeted by P5 schools.

Someone please reassure me!

With Chris you're correct and I'm a bit puzzled by his recruitment as well. With the class in general you are wrong. This class has more P5 recruits than any in the last decade perhaps. Fagan, Devito, Palmer (if he sticks) the DB from CT, all had/have huge offers. Solid class. Hope we can hold onto some guys.

With Chris you're correct and I'm a bit puzzled by his recruitment as well. With the class in general you are wrong. This class has more P5 recruits than any in the last decade perhaps. Fagan, Devito, Palmer (if he sticks) the DB from CT, all had/have huge offers. Solid class. Hope we can hold onto some guys.

Looking at the list it appears that six guys have no major offers other than SU?

It really doesn't look all that much different than what we have seen in the recent past, other than say, DeVito.

I was hoping for a more definitive improvement.

I am hopeful that the staff is getting what it wants.

I disagree recruiting def looks way better. The kids from Canada had no offers when they committed to us. If they played in the states they would be high 3 stars. I will make a friendly wager that Richards will be a stud for us. It wasn't like last yr when we were beating Alabama st out for recruits. Pierce, devito, stritzinger are huge talents

To see how bad recruiting has been just go back and look at the classes that would have been our juniors and seniors for this last year. It's just terrible the amount of those kids that didn't make it or didn't do much.
So yes you can look at offers for now, even though I think the offers look better, and say not much has changed. The ceiling is pretty low for this class to be better then those.

Looking at the list it appears that six guys have no major offers other than SU?

It really doesn't look all that much different than what we have seen in the recent past, other than say, DeVito.

A bunch of camp offers just like pasqualoni used to do.

Moving goal posts. First it was "competing with MAC schools for this class" and now it's skipping our highest ranked guy, it appears similar to years past.

It's not. It's better.

(Some of the kids from Canada don't get get viewed as much too).

Moving goal posts. First it was "competing with MAC schools for this class" and now it's skipping our highest ranked guy, it appears similar to years past.

It's not. It's better.

Unless there is a huge close before NSD with guys we arent aware of at this point this class will be ranked right around the same as the recent past. In the 50's somewhere. Is what it is.

I don't blame HCDB and staff for this as its much deeper than who the coach is at this point in the program.

The bigger concern is if we lose 2 or 3 guys late then we have a numbers problem with about 7 or 8 scholarships still on the table.

Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Keeping Palmer, Pierre and IM would seemingly be the biggest wins down the stretch.

It's not. It's better.

Sorry, just disagree with you. It appears pretty much the same as in years past.

Unless there is a huge close before NSD with guys we arent aware of at this point this class will be ranked right around the same as the recent past. In the 50's somewhere. Is what it is.

I don't blame HCDB and staff for this as its much deeper than who the coach is at this point in the program.

The bigger concern is if we lose 2 or 3 guys late then we have a numbers problem with about 7 or 8 scholarships still on the table.

Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Keeping Palmer, Pierre and IM would seemingly be the biggest wins down the stretch.

There's a freshman James Pierre in the student directory.

Getting enough solid athletes on campus and keeping the vast majority of them in the program for 3-5 years should be the main goal for us. Spending time arguing about this class vs. the past few classes or classes dating back a while makes very little sense. As Louie and Bouie points out here, a bunch of empty schollies or academic casualties, etc. are pretty much the only things I care about. Sure, you'd love to hold onto a kid like Palmer or IM for obvious reasons, but defections are part of nearly every recruiting cycle these days. Have to be prepared for that as coaches, IMO.

There's a freshman James Pierre in the student directory.

Sport & Human Dynamics major.

Under the radar scoop here. Could be HUGE.

Edit: I guess this is old news. Let's hope he is on campus and was just forced to sit out of football related activities as an academic redshirt. Here's more on academic redshirts:

If a college-bound student-athlete meets these requirements, he/she can receive an athletics scholarship during his/her first year at an NCAA Division I college or university. After the first term is complete, the student-athlete must be academically successful (successfully completing nine semester hours or eight quarter hours in each applicable term) at his/her college or university to continue to practice for the remainder of the year.

Last edited:
it depends on which site you trust is reviewing the kids.. if you think the ESPN site is good then this group is vastly better and deeper than any the last 7-8 yrs.

but its mostly 3 star guys so who knows. We also dont know yet how stars equate to playing in this system. All we have to go on is that this group brought in guys who competed as FR last year and if these coaches can keep doing that, thats a good sign

Chris Elmore, welcome to the Syracuse Football family! Go Orange!!!
elmore chrismaxresdefault.jpg

it depends on which site you trust is reviewing the kids.. if you think the ESPN site is good then this group is vastly better and deeper than any the last 7-8 yrs.

but its mostly 3 star guys so who knows. We also dont know yet how stars equate to playing in this system. All we have to go on is that this group brought in guys who competed as FR last year and if these coaches can keep doing that, thats a good sign

I say this all the time and people hate it, but unless we somehow start landing 4- and 5-star kids by the handful in these classes, we just have to trust whatever staff we have and cross our fingers that we do OK in terms of academics and developing whatever talent we get. Doesn't mean we can't get fired up if we win a battle for a guy like DeVito or feel like we uncovered the next Jay Bromley or kept a kid like Doug Hogue in state. It's just that getting this program back where we want to be is as much about the numbers as it is the stars. These sites can tell you, for the most part, who the best of the best are, but ranking your 3-star OL vs. Purdue's 3-star LB is pure nonsense.

Sport & Human Dynamics major.

Under the radar scoop here. Could be HUGE.

Edit: I guess this is old news. Let's hope he is on campus and was just forced to sit out of football related activities as an academic redshirt. Here's more on academic redshirts:

If a college-bound student-athlete meets these requirements, he/she can receive an athletics scholarship during his/her first year at an NCAA Division I college or university. After the first term is complete, the student-athlete must be academically successful (successfully completing nine semester hours or eight quarter hours in each applicable term) at his/her college or university to continue to practice for the remainder of the year.

To be fair his twitter says 'University of Syracuse' so that must be our academic tune-up sister school

Sorry, just disagree with you. It appears pretty much the same as in years past.

Except for the highest rated guy and the TE with SEC offers and the LB with SEC offers, you appear to be dead on.

Except for the highest rated guy and the TE with SEC offers and the LB with SEC offers, you appear to be dead on.

Yeah, except for the fact that we have had the same kind of offers in the past few years.

James Pierre and Jaquwan Nelson to name two from last year's class.

Other than that, you're dead on.

Last edited:
Kingsley has a ton of Sec and ACC offers,problably the best in this class and by more than a few..

Yeah, except for the fact that we have had the same kind of offers in the past few years.

Other than that, you're dead on.
If it makes you feel any better the coaches are convinced that Richards would be a SEC level recruit if he had played this season in the States. I trust them too, look at Palmer.

Not to mention, having 2-3 of these guys in each class is nice but isn't going to move the needle. We will continue to be perenially mediocre or worse until we land 10+ every single year. The only improvement that we've made since GRob is that we are no longer taking players that field Buffalo State, Utica College or Old Dominion offers. So at least we are no longer hemoraging wasted scholarships on the back end. Baby steps I guess.

I think at the moment you are being arm chair QBs and throwing out your opinions. None of you know what they will do when they get out on the field. Most of theses kid were the stars at their school and played in some big time programs. Lets keep positive and say sit back and wait a year or two before critiquing. jmo

I'm excited by this kid! I just watched the tape from his Jr. year and he's a load on the DL, good feet and fast for his size, and likes to hit. On offense, he blocks like a pulling guard, has good hands (he caught one for a TD getting his hands under the ball before it hit the ground), and looks imposing in the backfield. It's probably been mentioned here already, but does anyone remember William "the refrigerator" Perry?

You mean the guy who sang, "You're lookin at the Fridge, I'm the rookie. I may be large but I'm no dumb cookie". That William Perry?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom