Class of 2014 - DT Jalen Harvey (AL)Offered | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 DT Jalen Harvey (AL)Offered

yes_napoleon_dynamite.gif
I have to figure out how to do this. You guys crack me up with these. Thanks

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/02/clay-chalkville_dl_jalen_harve.html

Clay-Chalkville DL Jalen Harvey flips his commitment a second time to Syracuse
14208328-mmmain.jpg

Clay-Chalkville senior defensive tackle Jalen Harvey committed to Syracuse over the weekend. He had been previously committed to both South Alabama and Western Kentucky this month. Harvey posed in a Syracuse jersey with his father Carl and mother Ardra on his official visit over the weekend. (Photo courtesy of Jalen Harvey).
Print
By Jeff Sentell | jsentell@al.com AL.com
Follow on Twitter
on February 03, 2014 at 1:45 PM, updated February 03, 2014 at 2:13 PM
CLAY, Alabama -- Jalen Harvey is a likable kid. He likes cupcakes and Miley Cyrus. He has a gregarious personality.
The nearly 6-foot-3, 305-pound defensive line prospect is also a test case for how hard the pressures leading up to National Signing Day can weigh on a kid.
Harvey, an Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Game pick and a Class 6A All-State choice, was once committed to South Alabama. Then he switched his non-binding verbal pledge to Western Kentucky last month.
He'd also had an offer from Boise State and interest from Arkansas State last month.
But then an offer from Syracuse came about eight days ago. He and his family made the 17-hour trip by car to check out that program. He took in the Duke-Syracuse basketball game that drew national attention. He went with other recruits to a nearby Dave and Buster's food and entertainment chain.
14119090-large.jpg
Clay Chalkville senior Jalen Harvey warms up prior to the Oxford game this season on Friday, Sept. 6, 2013. (Mark Almond/malmond@al.com)MARK ALMONDAnd he also made another new commitment to Syracuse. Is his middle name "Flip" or something?
Its easy to make a snap judgement about young people these days and the meaning of the word "commitment" but before you do that, hear him out.
Harvey likens his plight to a real world example most 17-year-old have a hard time relating to. What if you got a job from Sony? You accept that job, but then what if another job offer from Microsoft came along? What if you were fortunate to then land another offer from NASA?
"This wasn't a football decision, but a decision based on real life and an education after football is over with." - Clay-Chalkville DL Jalen Harvey
That's how he sees it.

"Its been really tough," Harvey said. "I am just 17 years old and I don't really know what I really want. I couldn't make up my mind I guess. You can't expect me to know everything."
He didn't have the Western Kentucky offer until this month. He didn't have the Syracuse offer to consider until last weekend.
"These offers came late," Harvey said, "If they never came, then I'd still be with one team in all of this. I didn't even get any interest from Syracuse until about a week or two ago. They just offered last Sunday."
He had an adult's view of looking at it. He compared a degree from Western Kentucky to Syracuse. He thought about what would serve him better five and 10 years from now.
"I want to get into Sports Management in college," Harvey said. "The type of degree you get from Syracuse is tops in the nation. You are pretty much set with that degree going forward and you can get more of the jobs of your choice. You can get more with a Syracuse degree than a Western Kentucky degree. This wasn't a football decision, but a decision based on real life and an education after football is over with."

"I am done with Syracuse now," Harvey said. "This is for real. I am going to sign with Syracuse on Wednesday. I'm not answering any more phone calls. If a get a call from anywhere I don't know that doesn't have a 315 in the area code then I am not going to pick up the phone to talk to anybody until Wednesday."

Last edited:
I'm ridiculously high on this kid. It sucks that the process played out the way it did for him, watching his tape I don't get how he didn't have all kinds of interest. However, I'm confident that even though the relationship with Syracuse has been short and somewhat tenuous, he'll land right and find his time here to be the best possible outcome. Everything happens for a reason.

He's got the size and some of the techniques down. Timmy Daoust will coach him up into a Brom.

Rocco, I agree. I think handing Daoust this kid is like giving an arsonist a box of matches and a gallon of gasoline...really looking forward to watching Tim with a geeked out smile beholding the sight of a raging inferno and he's holding the spent matchstick in his hand.

What a great find. I like the tape I saw of him. He gets his arms extended and reads well. If Sloan is healthy and in shape the Interior Dlinemen can continue being a dominant group!

Flexico Burress ‏@Jalen_Harvey94 3h
Who trying to come watch me sign tomorrow at 1:40???

He would dominate any NYC high school league and be a 5 star guy if he were from there.

You're the king of hyperbole here
Not using hyperbole in this case. I think because the SEC big boys didn't offer him , his star rating fell and a lot of far away programs thought, " Well Bama and Auburn didn't offer him , he must not be that good." Those progams can have any guy they want , so he didn't rise high enough to get on their board . He is , however , my favorite recruit in this class.