Class of 2015 - DT Steven Clark (AL) Signed LOI | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DT Steven Clark (AL) Signed LOI

Ya i'm not a big fan of using that as an argument either. All that is saying is he isn't good enough to play there, but can star here. Not sure how that's good for us?

Ano - disagree completely. It's about given time to develop and specializing in developing kids who are under recruited. That's the issue - what's the speciality of each program and Shafer said it himself he loves, literally loves to develop kids like Steven.

The question the kid and family need to answer - why am I being recruited for a position I'm not best suited for and how long will I be given time to develop. I would rather have him go to Ole Miss or Vandy for the right reasons than UF for COMPLETELY the WRONG reasons.

We all know what UF is doing here being so late to the table. To say otherwise is an injustice to the kid - the UF coaches are lying to him.

Regarding Pickard, we were in on the beginning and then the Wisky coaching situation changes and now we are back in the game - our interest in Pickard never changed since the beginning. That kind of flip is legit, UF is so totally obvious again I feel for the kid and family. The odds are against him - again I wish him well if he chooses UF but please don't be blind to what's really going on here.

Ya i'm not a big fan of using that as an argument either. All that is saying is he isn't good enough to play there, but can star here. Not sure how that's good for us?

That's not what was being said in this thread and you know that.

My point is exactly what you're saying. "Florida doesn't typically." You can't group Mac into what Florida typically does. He's not either coach. My "long-winded way" served a purpose that went completely over your head. Going forward? Sure. He can't do that this year, with only two months to work with. Guys committed to FSU, UGA, and Tenn. are committed to FSU, UGA, and Tenn. You can't assume he will be recruited over. If he has the ability and potential you all talk about, it will show. He's not being recruited as a body. He's being recruited for the exact same reason you want him, albeit at a different position. We don't need him at DT. Our defense sells itself. Our offense doesn't. We haven't been pulling in monster OL under Muschamp in case you haven't noticed. The odds of him getting a chance to play there are pretty decent.

What site are you looking at? 3 hours? I'm guessing 1 and 2 for FL and NY. There's no way it's 4. It's 3 from where I live in SFLA to IL. It's not practical because you say so? It sounds like something you just want to believe isn't to make your point without any actual evidence or experience with that. Tennessee? None personally. Georgia and Alabama? Several. Why Tennessee anyway? You have to drive all the way through Georgia just to get into the state.

Why Tennessee? Check where Steven Clark lives and get back to me.

I didn't forget. Tell me where I said anything against forum policy in my rebuttal, though? I didn't see sarcasm as against the rules.

Don't do that. We've been more than accomodating but If you want to continue to get pissy with CuseLegacy or any others that haven't provoked it I, and im sure many others, will gladly blow your house down.

That's not what was being said in this thread and you know that.

Well what exactly does that argument mean then?

EDIT: I just went back and read the post he quoted. Honestly I didn't even read your post that he quoted. I agree with your post, it makes a lot more sense then how people usually use that statement.

Either way if you're good, you're going to play wherever you are.

Last edited:
Ano - disagree completely. It's about given time to develop and specializing in developing kids who are under recruited. That's the issue - what's the speciality of each program and Shafer said it himself he loves, literally loves to develop kids like Steven.

The question the kid and family need to answer - why am I being recruited for a position I'm not best suited for and how long will I be given time to develop. I would rather have him go to Ole Miss or Vandy for the right reasons than UF for COMPLETELY the WRONG reasons.

We all know what UF is doing here being so late to the table. To say otherwise is an injustice to the kid - the UF coaches are lying to him.

Regarding Pickard, we were in on the beginning and then the Wisky coaching situation changes and now we are back in the game - our interest in Pickard never changed since the beginning. That kind of flip is legit, UF is so totally obvious again I feel for the kid and family. The odds are against him - again I wish him well if he chooses UF but please don't be blind to what's really going on here.

Ya I get all that stuff, all i'm saying is I don't want a kid to come here if he's not good enough to play at Florida. imo he will be good enough to play wherever he goes. I get the point about having a better shot develop here, and not getting passed over, but eventually wherever you are you better be able to play or you won't see the field. Most people who use that argument are just saying it because they are seeing Florida vs Syracuse.

EDIT: I just went back and read the post he quoted. Honestly I didn't even read your post that he quoted. I agree with your post, it makes a lot more sense then how people usually use that statement.

No worries. He was trying to twist what I said to fuel his agenda.

The kid I think of immediately here is Malik Brown.

Don't do that. We've been more than accomodating but If you want to continue to get pissy with CuseLegacy or any others that haven't provoked it I, and im sure many others, will gladly blow your house down.

Do what? That was a genuine question. His response was to a post that was sarcastic in nature, but it was neither a personal insult nor offensive post and apologies if it seemed as such. It was pure sarcasm-in-response. That was all. I haven't gotten pissy with anyone here. I haven't called anyone names, insults, or anything, despite having that done to me. I've responded, and while my text hasn't exactly been the most appealing to SU fans, there was nothing to it but that. I didn't come here to troll, and nothing I have said even was. If you want to ban me for whatever reason, then feel free to do so. That's your guys' right, and I won't shed tears. It's an Internet blog, and one about college sports/high school recruits. I leave my feelings at the door. It won't blow my house down; it'll just make me have to wait for our 247 mods to provide information. But again, I apologize if anyone misconstrued my intentions and posting for something it wasn't.

And to that one guy who mentioned Tennesssee, he's from Guntersville, AL, which is about two hours from the Tennessee border. I'm still not understanding the correlation.

Hopefully Steven breaks the mold of recruits who've had their thread locked and then commit elsewhere

Do what? That was a genuine question. His response was to a post that was sarcastic in nature, but it was neither a personal insult nor offensive post and apologies if it seemed as such. It was pure sarcasm-in-response. That was all. I haven't gotten pissy with anyone here. I haven't called anyone names, insults, or anything, despite having that done to me. I've responded, and while my text hasn't exactly been the most appealing to SU fans, there was nothing to it but that. I didn't come here to troll, and nothing I have said even was. If you want to ban me for whatever reason, then feel free to do so. That's your guys' right, and I won't shed tears. It's an Internet blog, and one about college sports/high school recruits. I leave my feelings at the door. It won't blow my house down; it'll just make me have to wait for our 247 mods to provide information. But again, I apologize if anyone misconstrued my intentions and posting for something it wasn't.

And to that one guy who mentioned Tennesssee, he's from Guntersville, AL, which is about two hours from the Tennessee border. I'm still not understanding the correlation.

Why are you still here? Didn't you say you were leaving about 4 or 5 posts ago. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Why are you still here? Didn't you say you were leaving about 4 or 5 posts ago. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I'm still following this thread, and I'm trying to do so quietly and politely. I never said I wouldn't stop doing that. If I keep getting notified that I have an alert, and it's something like this, I'll respond. That post was implying I was done stirring the pot on that academics ordeal. I think it's great how being more than accommodating to guests around here is also synonymous with you all being more than happy to "blow my house down" and publicly wanting me to leave.

Last edited:

When I said he would likely be recruited over it was because that is SOP at UF and most other SEC schools. My point is not if he is talented enough, but rather is he ready, because he won't get a lot of time to develop before they bring in a guy next year or the year after who is closer to being ready. There are NFL guys that played at SU that would never have gotten on the field much at UF.It's not always talent. Sometimes it's timing and situation. I think the guy is great and good enough to play at UF. The questions in my mind are at what position, at what time, and will he get the chance to prove it?

Gaiter, I'm interested to know, and maybe you've already posted it (sorry, not going back through pages of this thread), how Gator nation is taking the fact that McElwain is poaching from Syracuse. Is it "Good route to go because SU has a good record of finding hidden gems" or is it "This is what you get when you bring in a small-time coach - poaching from a 3-9 team"?

Ya I get all that stuff, all i'm saying is I don't want a kid to come here if he's not good enough to play at Florida. imo he will be good enough to play wherever he goes. I get the point about having a better shot develop here, and not getting passed over, but eventually wherever you are you better be able to play or you won't see the field. Most people who use that argument are just saying it because they are seeing Florida vs Syracuse.

Ano - your missing my point. If he was being recruited by UF for the same position at DT then I wouldn't have posted. But he's not being recruited as a DT and I would be really really really circumspect if I were Steven and his family. Tell me - what else is it?

It's late in the process and all UF is doing is trying to fill out its offensive line with bodies. My gut tells me he's being looked at as just to fill in a position of need with a body (any body) during UFs transition to its new HC. UF is going to heavily recruit for OL next year, mark my words. Sure Steven may make it but he will be up against future players who have trained for years to be really good OLs where that is what they are best suited to play.

It's like this in business - having an expert in accounting in business who may understand the selling process and management asks the accountant to go out and sell. Sure the accountant may be good at sales but it's not what the accountant is best at. The odds are stacked against the accountant versus actual salespeople who have trained for years to be good salespeople.

I'm still following this thread, and I'm trying to do so quietly and politely. I never said I wouldn't stop doing that. If I keep getting notified that I have an alert, and it's something like this, I'll respond. That post was implying I was done stirring the pot on that academics ordeal. I think it's great how being more than accommodating to guests around here is also synonymous with you all being more than happy to "blow my house down" and publicly wanting me to leave.

Here's the thing. None of the mods have to "show you where" you did anything. You just keep repeating yourself over and over and over about online college rankings and adding zero to the conversation about the actual recruit this thread is about. I asked you to enlighten me why Florida is such a great school in your eyes. You responded with "look online" so you either don't know, you're inherently lazy, or you're so insecure about you school choice that you're afraid to actually dig into this. I'm sure you know about as much about Syracuse as most here know about Florida. I offered you tell us more and you declined. I already looked at the rankings and two clicks in see that both schools offer very different options class wise so it's extremely hard to compare. Apples to Oranges or gators to oranges as it were. I don't have a dog in the fight as I attended neither but its more than a bit insulting to visit another schools fan board and put down those who did.

Here's what you've shared in this thread. You made a sound financial decision in going to UF and probably got a very good education. I applaud you for not being one of the millions that take on a ton of debt. What you also shared is if money wasn't and object you would've went elsewhere like ND, BC, or Nova. If you truly felt that UF was such a great school you would have zero reason to qualify it much less to a group of strangers. Instead you're online trolling for someone to vindicate the choice you made which says something. I'll help you out, you made a good life choice for you. That said, stop trying to sell it because you think northerners feel a certain way about Southern schools in the SEC. You have an inferiority complex over something that doesn't exist and you had a chance to share why your school was so great and instead went with "they paid me to go there" which says plenty. For your sanities sake it sounds like you would be better served if your piece of paper said a Northern Catholic Private school in it instead of a public state school but that's it. It's in your head. As soon as you come to terms with that you'll be much better off here and in general.

So in the future, engage conversation with your own points vs pointing to a website that you can't explain. Also when one of the nicest people on the board tells you to chill out, take the advice and apologize. Responding instead like "show me where" make you sound like a petulant child who can't figure it out on their own. In the same way pointing to websites that you haven't looked at or don't understand make you seem quite under prepared for a discussion you've had before and obviously plan on having again after next week when you disappear from this board.

Last edited:
Gaiter, I'm interested to know, and maybe you've already posted it (sorry, not going back through pages of this thread), how Gator nation is taking the fact that McElwain is poaching from Syracuse. Is it "Good route to go because SU has a good record of finding hidden gems" or is it "This is what you get when you bring in a small-time coach - poaching from a 3-9 team"?

There are mixed feelings on it, but from my board at least, people think the kid is good and better than his star ratings suggest. I would lean toward the first one. I wouldn't say we hope Mac makes a habit of doing this, but the man only had two months to work with. It's easier to be more enticing to a player who is under the radar and lacking major interest from multiple schools than one who is highly sought-after in that span of time. The 2015 class for us is a salvaging one. We aren't getting all the guys we were supposed to because of Muschamp. Would Clark get an offer if we weren't in our situation? Probably not, but anyone suggesting this is desperation or because UF struck out on all their other targets is missing the major point of UF having a brand new staff with a different recruiting outlook. Right now, Mac and co. are trying to find the best and right guys for UF in 2015 that they can, produce on the field next season, and prepare for 2016, where their recruiting really will begin.

People keep thinking he'll be recruited over immediately, but that's why he's not being offered as a DT. Our OL isn't top tier by any means, lacking in numbers, and he'd actually have a chance to compete for PT there. Maybe he will get recruited over if he doesn't pan out, but he won't be tossed aside or immediately given up on any more than anyone else we recruit. Higher-ranked players than him have struggled before, and contrary to popular belief, UF does develop players, too. We don't just go the Miami Heat route at practice and throw a ball on the field, letting the stars do their thing. Colorado State just had 5 seniors invited to the Combine, the most they've had in over a decade. If Mac can get kids over there NFL success, I wouldn't be worried about him with a player, like Clark.

Gator Bait said:
There are mixed feelings on it, but from my board at least, people think the kid is good and better than his star ratings suggest. I would lean toward the first one. I wouldn't say we hope Mac makes a habit of doing this, but the man only had two months to work with. It's easier to be more enticing to a player who is under the radar and lacking major interest from multiple schools than one who is highly sought-after in that span of time. The 2015 class for us is a salvaging one. We aren't getting all the guys we were supposed to because of Muschamp. Would Clark get an offer if we weren't in our situation? Probably not, but anyone suggesting this is desperation or because UF struck out on all their other targets is missing the major point of UF having a brand new staff with a different recruiting outlook. Right now, Mac and co. are trying to find the best and right guys for UF in 2015 that they can, produce on the field next season, and prepare for 2016, where their recruiting really will begin. People keep thinking he'll be recruited over immediately, but that's why he's not being offered as a DT. Our OL isn't top tier by any means, lacking in numbers, and he'd actually have a chance to compete for PT there. Maybe he will get recruited over if he doesn't pan out, but he won't be tossed aside or immediately given up on any more than anyone else we recruit. Higher-ranked players than him have struggled before, and contrary to popular belief, UF does develop players, too. We don't just go the Miami Heat route at practice and throw a ball on the field, letting the stars do their thing. Colorado State just had 5 seniors invited to the Combine, the most they've had in over a decade. If Mac can get kids over there NFL success, I wouldn't be worried about him with a player, like Clark.

This is exactly why he should be wary of the offer.

Here's the thing. None of the mods have to "show you where" you did anything. You just keep repeating yourself over and over and over about online college rankings and adding zero to the conversation about the actual recruit this thread is about. I asked you to enlighten me why Florida is such a great school in your eyes. You responded with "look online" so you either don't know, you're inherently lazy, or you're so insecure about you school choice that you're afraid to actually dig into this. I'm sure you know about as much about Syracuse as most here know about Florida. I offered you tell us more and you declined. I already looked at the rankings and two clicks in see that both schools offer very different options class wise so it's extremely hard to compare. Apples to Oranges or gators to oranges as it were. I don't have a dog in the fight as I attended neither but its more than a bit insulting to visit another schools fan board and put down those who did.

Here's what you've shared in this thread. You made a sound financial decision in going to UF and probably got a very good education. I applaud you for not being one of the millions that take on a ton of debt. What you also shared is if money wasn't and object you would've went elsewhere like ND, BC, or Nova. If you truly felt that UF was such a great school you would have zero reason to qualify it much less to a group of strangers. Instead you're online trolling for someone to vindicate the choice you made which says something. I'll help you out, you made a good life choice for you. That said, stop trying to sell it because you think northerners feel a certain way about Southern schools in the SEC. You have an inferiority complex over something that doesn't exist and you had a chance to share why your school was so great and instead went with "they paid me to go there" which says plenty. For your sanities sake it sounds like you would be better served if you're piece of paper said a Northern Catholic Private school in it instead of a public state school but that's it. It's in your head. As soon as you come to terms with that you'll be much better off here and in general.

So in the future, engage conversation with your own points vs pointing to a website that you can't explain. Also when one of the nicest people on the board tells you to chill out, take the advice and apologize. Responding instead like "show me where" make you sound like a petulant child who can't figure it out on their own. In the same way pointing to websites that you haven't looked at or don't understand make you seem quite under prepared for a discussion you've had before and obviously plan on having again after next week when you disappear from this board.

I've added zero to the conversation? Really? Aside from my responses to posters about my own posts, what I've had to say has been about Clark and UF recruiting him, so I respectfully, yet entirely disagree with you on that. You asked me what's so great about UF, and I declined because it's escalated too much, so much, that you even mentioned so. Your disregard for rankings simply because they're online is your call. How do you think universities and the educations they provide get ranked in the first place? Because sites, like USWN and Times Higher Education, do the work. I don't see why I would have to explain myself when those very same sites describe how they calculated the results themselves. Otherwise, how can you guys prove Syracuse is better then? How can posters here tell me Syracuse has more acclaim in academics when people hear it? It goes both ways, man.

I also liked how you've cherry picked the things I've shared in this thread that only cater to your message. The college reference served a purpose in my argument and nothing more. You, and anyone who took offense to that, read too much into it. Vindication? Not in the slightest. I'm from the Midwest. I applied to UF as a backup, and I used to hate it growing up and prior to attending. My perspective has changed, and it was the best four years of my life. I have no southern pride, but if you think that the people who brought up academics (and that's the thing, I didn't) as a strength for Clark to commit to Syracuse over UF weren't thinking along the lines of anyone but Vanderbilt being relevant in that area, you're kidding yourself. Any and all academic posting I had dealt with countering posts made by different posters of why Clark choosing Syracuse over UF if he valued academics didn't flow. Go back and check for yourself. I didn't start a pissing contest. I was disclaiming an assumed strength in the recruiting battle. So, again, I respectfully, yet completely disagree with that as well.

I can understand those websites, fine, thanks. I'm just not going to copy/paste their analysis or methodology for the reasoning above. It's on those sites. You can do that yourself. My "show me where" remark was also sincere, as I have mentioned already, my post wasn't anything wrong. There was nothing to "chill out" about, and my posting didn't warrant an apology for anything other than the ones I gave already for anyone who misinterpreted them for something they weren't. I was asking what I did, because I couldn't see anything wrong in that post or previous ones that his reply made sense about. Had before and will have again, eh? Yeah, I have. With FSU fans. On my site's board. But hey, thanks for the presumptions. You seem to have a lot about me. I appreciate it. I can see how often this board is used to other fans, especially ones who don't pump Syracuse sunshine.

Last edited:
Listen man. Thanks for stopping by. You have some points and we have listened. Its 6 days from signing day. Head back to your board and we promise not to visit yours. I don't mean to be not hospitable, but your constant involvement in the threads is p-issing me off. Most of us really don't give a $ hit about U of FL.

Listen man. Thanks for stopping by. You have some points and we have listened. Its 6 days from signing day. Head back to your board and we promise not to visit yours. I don't mean to be not hospitable, but your constant involvement in the threads is p-issing me off. Most of us really don't give a $ hit about U of FL.

It's only been in this thread, and it involves a mutual recruit of our schools. If you don't want me to post, then maybe you guys should stop talking to me? I'm
gone as soon as he flips or sticks, but if you don't want to see me post, don't acknowledge me, don't call me out, and let me lurk for updates occasionally.

It's only been in this thread, and it involves a mutual recruit of our schools. If you don't want me to post, then maybe you guys should stop talking to me? I'm gone as soon as he flips or sticks, but if you don't want to see me post, don't acknowledge me, don't call me out, and let me lurk for updates occasionally.
Is the OL coach who teaches your guys to block each other still on staff?

Things that make you go hmm.

javadoc said:

I have to admit that way one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the field.

He was fired along with Pease after the 4-8 season and is at SMU now. FSU did the same thing this year. I try to forget that game. And season.