Class of 2015 - DT Steven Clark (AL) Signed LOI | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DT Steven Clark (AL) Signed LOI

Yeah if he's deciding by tomorrow, I think he's gone. Not much reflection time or time for our staff to do anything.

No hard sell needed. It's Florida.

If he visited Florid State tomorrow, he'd find that more impressive than Florida.

Maybe Alabama will have him visit.

He'd like that more than FSU.

Sarcasm alert.

Syracuse Football ‏@syrfootball 7m7 minutes ago
Syracuse football DT commit Steven Clark impressed by Florida, will make final choice by Monday: http://ow.ly/HUjmY
For those who pooh-poohed Shafer's strategy of going after solid but "under the radar" types of kids, this could be a good lesson on why that is the best strategy right now.

This class is starting to dwindle and not hearing too many viable backup plans. C'mon Clayton and Pickard! And maybe Steven will stay but.. Sigh.

If Florida had its act together - amazing they have only 9 commits - there wouldn't be any scholies available.

Just tells me Florida is several years away from being a power again.

In today's internet world it is impossible to hide your under the radar gems.
Especially when they turn out like some of ours have (Bromley, the Jones brothers, Shamarko, Pugh, Nassib, etc.). It's the way it goes. If a factory school loses a kid, they poach one of ours, and we poach from a school farther down the pecking order than us. Such is life as a Syracuse football fan. Regardless, hoping Clark stays Orange.

For those who pooh-poohed Shafer's strategy of going after solid but "under the radar" types of kids, this could be a good lesson on why that is the best strategy right now.
Have to wonder if we should have offered Savon Smith at Henniger. First team all state DT. Committed this week to Youngstown State. Maybe its grades, but he seems like the under the radar type we should be targeting if that's the strategy or where we stand in the current landscape.

Feel the same way...Just seems like the glitz and glamour always works...I wonder how they convinced him to play OL...FWIW 247 crystal ball is 100% to Florida...Hope he sits down and thinks long and hard cuz Florida will be out recruiting 5 stars for the 2016 OL...Good Luck with your decision Clark's (cant be easy)
247 crystal ball doesn't mean anything.

I think that you are giving up on Steven and this coaching staff way too soon. Why don't we just wait and see what happens. Have a little faith gentlemen.
Talking with hubby on road trip this afternoon. We spent a considerable time with the Clark's and I have faith in what they shared. Glitz and glamor is a draw but once you step away and think, he will remember the reasons why he was 100% SU ❤️

I think that you are giving up on Steven and this coaching staff way too soon. Why don't we just wait and see what happens. Have a little faith gentlemen.

I think part of the problem is perception. Perception is that we lose more of these battles than we win. So there is a natural hedge to think negatively.

Talking with hubby on road trip this afternoon. We spent a considerable time with the Clark's and I have faith in what they shared. Glitz and glamor is a draw but once you step away and think, he will remember the reasons why he was 100% SU ❤️
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm curious. Did you guys know about the Mackey award when Trey was considering Syracuse? Did the coaches talk about it?

If Florida had its act together - amazing they have only 9 commits - there wouldn't be any scholies available.

Just tells me Florida is several years away from being a power again.

I sure hope not. Muschamp didn't do us any favors. He recruited kids to himself, not the program. I never liked the hire, and now I hate it in hindsight. I don't think it will take several years, though. Guys, like Clark, are recruits Muschamp and the past staff never targeted because they only wanted certain kids in the net they cast out. This class is our staff trying to forge new relationships and mend others in a span of a couple months to weeks. I don't think we'll be struggling this much next season.

Gator Bait Unfortunately when you have four years of recruits that weren't the current staffs it will take time to set your program back on the right track again. You are going to have kids that don't like the new staff and will leave and others that will leave because they will never see the field with the new scheme that will be implemented. It will be a rebuild, not a renovation.

If he picks Fla I think he is making a major mistake. they are coming in late scrambling and promising him the world. They will recruit over his head next year and he may never see the field in his 4 years. Moving to offense vs playing D which he has done and playing early assured at SU.

Here's the thing, if I am a kid being recruited by them I'd ask myself, are they genuinely interested in my talents, or is it because it's a week plus from signing day and they only have six commitments? am I simply a warm body, that will potentially be recruited over once the staff has had a full cycle under their belt, and at that point will I even be receiving the coaching I think I deserve if I fall back to 2nd or 3rd string??

Gator Bait Unfortunately when you have four years of recruits that weren't the current staffs it will take time to set your program back on the right track again. You are going to have kids that don't like the new staff and will leave and others that will leave because they will never see the field with the new scheme that will be implemented. It will be a rebuild, not a renovation.

That may be true to a degree, but from what our mods on 247 told us, a lot of the players, mostly younger guys, like our starting RB and best WR, were happy about the changes. A lot came away laughing and joking after Muschamp met with them. I agree we're rebuilding and starting over, but I just don't think, given the resources and talent in our state, it will take as long as it would for other programs that would be in our position.

Last edited:
Absolutely, positively, have to win this battle. I love that schools like Florida get involved with kids we have, but we have to be able to hold on. It's a fine line, but it's the only way we are going to take it to the next level. Between Clark, Pickard, and Clayton we are playing with fire. We have to get at very worst 1 of them, or else we are going to be looking at some bottom of the barrel back ups.

I am sure our coaches will be on the horn the next 2 days to make sure and remind Steven the reason why he first fell in love with Syracuse. The glitz and glamour is nice at first (i'm sure the women didn't hurt either), but is it the best fit for him? Only time will tell.

Absolutely, positively, have to win this battle. I love that schools like Florida get involved with kids we have, but we have to be able to hold on. It's a fine line, but it's the only way we are going to take it to the next level. Between Clark, Pickard, and Clayton we are playing with fire. We have to get at very worst 1 of them, or else we are going to be looking at some bottom of the barrel back ups.

I am sure our coaches will be on the horn the next 2 days to make sure and remind Steven the reason why he first fell in love with Syracuse. The glitz and glamour is nice at first (i'm sure the women didn't hurt either), but is it the best fit for him? Only time will tell.

Perfectly said Ano

I can't take bottom of the barrel anymore-I hate when schools like Florida's plan B's are our Plan A's!