Class of 2015 - DT Ty Cross (GA) Signed LOI | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DT Ty Cross (GA) Signed LOI

Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey1 1m
Just got off the phone with Tyler Cross' HS coach, Justin DeShon. Said Cross is as lean as 6-3, 280-pound players come ... DeShon also raved about Cross's strength. Bench max is 395. Saw him squat 20 reps at 405 on Wednesday ... DeShon said Cross received interest from SEC schools including Georgia, Missouri and Mississippi State, but not offers. Story to come.

texascpa said:
I saw that, however, if you look at the conference standings, their conference is listed as AAA in 2013. Maybe they're moving up this year. Linkage I'm not disparaging the commit, I'm trying to understand the lack of information on a kid that has 15 ACC and SEC offers.
Looks like their enrollment is exploding...was in the 1800 level last year.

I agree, looks like they were just re-classified.

If he doesn't have any other offers, you have to wonder about his grades.

Looks like their enrollment is exploding...was in the 1800 level last year.

I agree, looks like they were just re-classified.

If he doesn't have any other offers, you have to wonder about his grades.
Thought that too but FWIW, in my post above, he says he was his 9th grade class president and seems thoughtful and a good writer.

Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey1 1m
Just got off the phone with Tyler Cross' HS coach, Justin DeShon. Said Cross is as lean as 6-3, 280-pound players come ... DeShon also raved about Cross's strength. Bench max is 395. Saw him squat 20 reps at 405 on Wednesday ... DeShon said Cross received interest from SEC schools including Georgia, Missouri and Mississippi State, but not offers. Story to come.

So what were his offers?

He claimed 15, of ACC / SEC caliber.

So what were his offers?

He claimed 15, of ACC / SEC caliber.

Some HS kids think letters of interest are the same as scholarship offers...this from experience talking to some kids in the past.

HUGE position of need - you can't teach size & speed - welcome aboard Mr Cross!

If this staff of coaches has the contacts and evaluation skills I think they do we might be on to something here boys and girls of Brooklyn High. Welcome to the Hill Mr. Cross!

On the highlight tape he's consistently a good tenth of a second ahead of his other dlinemen, he's either super quick or knows the snap count. It looks like he's a little short though. He kind of reminds me of that small DT from wake forest (I think he graduated last year) that no one could block even though he was only 250 lbs.

On the highlight tape he's consistently a good tenth of a second ahead of his other dlinemen, he's either super quick or knows the snap count. It looks like he's a little short though. He kind of reminds me of that small DT from wake forest (I think he graduated last year) that no one could block even though he was only 250 lbs.

Is 6'3" really considered short for a DT that still might be growing? Or do you think that his height is grossly inflated?

Is 6'3" really considered short for a DT that still might be growing? Or do you think that his height is grossly inflated?
I think its inflated 1-2".

I believe you are talking about Nikita Whitlock.

From a camp they had him closer to 6'1 than 6'3. I'm not concerned with that.

Nikita Whitlock was a black belt. He beat offensive lineman by almost breaking their hands. I definitely don't see Cross with that same hand action, but hopefully he can use his explosiveness to make up for a lack of size.

Nikita Whitlock was a black belt. He beat offensive lineman by almost breaking their hands. I definitely don't see Cross with that same hand action, but hopefully he can use his explosiveness to make up for a lack of size.
This kid isn't small he's 280lbs ! Why would his coach say he's 6-3 if he isn't? What camp said he was closer to 6-1?

I believe you are talking about Nikita Whitlock.

Correct. Pictured here as #50 in the background :D

9968305-large.jpeg

So what you're saying is we should hire an expert black belt to train our linemen "hand technique"?