DUKE FANS GET AWAY WITH EVERYTHING | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

DUKE FANS GET AWAY WITH EVERYTHING

Theres still no assigned seating in the student section. Atleast there wasnt in 2003-07. If it was a big game and you were late, you could get stuck up top when the wrist bands run out, but there were ways around that too.
They have bounced back and forth on that. I agree that the seats should be general admission. It ensures the most rabid and enthusiastic fans sit in the best seats and in the long run, makes being a student season ticket holder a funner, more communal experience. They just over-reacted to a minor incident back in the day...

Actually, it would improve the brand with huge dividends. I think this issue is like Dome naming rights. The season ticket holders probably hold some kind of sway. Sometimes looking at the lifeless old people in those seats gets to you sometimes! Duke fans disrupt every possession. EVERY POSSESSION!
Dave, Dave, why the ageism? There are plenty of older people in my section and we are cheering and leaping to our painful footies all the time! Where do you sit? Is that the case where you are?

I agree that the students have awful seats, and that certainly could contribute to their lackluster interest. I also have received the impression that school spirit is the job of the underclassmen, while the upperclassmen are too "cool" to attend games. But I could be wrong.

Dave, Dave, why the ageism? There are plenty of older people in my section and we are cheering and leaping to our painful footies all the time! Where do you sit? Is that the case where you are?

I agree that the students have awful seats, and that certainly could contribute to their lackluster interest. I also have received the impression that school spirit is the job of the underclassmen, while the upperclassmen are too "cool" to attend games. But I could be wrong.

I just go by what I see on TV versus games at Duke and Pitt.

I just go by what I see on TV versus games at Duke and Pitt.
Hey, you're up early. I am, too, EVEN THOUGH I AM RETIRED. Hmp.

You seemed to be criticizing the older season ticket holder at the Dome. And it is on a common cliche on this board. Made me feel defensive. Old people get like that.

Hey, you're up early. I am, too, EVEN THOUGH I AM RETIRED. Hmp.

You seemed to be criticizing the older season ticket holder at the Dome. And it is on a common cliche on this board. Made me feel defensive. Old people get like that.

Well maybe, but not directly. I'm comparing what I see on TV. The Duke fans are jumping nuts on each opponent's possession. You have to admit, most Dome fans sits idle on defensive possessions and then go nuts with a steal and dunk. That's the game we all love. And I admit everyone does get mesmerized by the team playing defense. Which we also all love. It's hard to say. I just like the way the fans stomp during defensive possessions from what I see on TV. As a student fan, not that I am, who would not want to jump around in that fan mosh pit!

P.S. Yeah, early, if I leave my house by 5:45 I have 45 minute commute. If I leave by 6 I have a 60 minute commute. As for retirement, I have not been that lucky with the timing of my investments. It's all good though, I have enough resources to go fishing which is really all I care about. Well, that an Orange basketball. Working is okay. Something to do. It pays well so I don't really care that it takes a lot of my time.

They have bounced back and forth on that. I agree that the seats should be general admission. It ensures the most rabid and enthusiastic fans sit in the best seats and in the long run, makes being a student season ticket holder a funner, more communal experience. They just over-reacted to a minor incident back in the day...

Yea there probably is a way to do general admission without having a stampede/running of the brides situation

I think the students should be on the pull out section. I know those are big money too but behind the basket view just sucks.

Mid-eighties, students had half the pull-out. We used to sleep out for season tix and reward was those great seats...

Yea there probably is a way to do general admission without having a stampede/running of the brides situation

Not only that, it could be done really well so it works great for everyone. Maybe have 2 student sections as end-caps around the center court line. So we can see students jumping around at least during opponent possessions. But have those sees as "assigned" but sold as general admission. That way, you always fill them with the most rabid fans!

Cameron Indoor is loud all the time, then Duke does something "amazing" and it gets even louder. Then it settles down to just loud.

jgeorge322 said:

Student seats are general admission.

Dave85 said:
Not only that, it could be done really well so it works great for everyone. Maybe have 2 student sections as end-caps around the center court line. So we can see students jumping around at least during opponent possessions. But have those sees as "assigned" but sold as general admission. That way, you always fill them with the most rabid fans!

When students had seats side court, too many games were half full. It looked bad and was a waste of an income source. So now it's all donors. It won't go back in the current dome. What do you do with the people who have donated 1,000's over the years?

When students had seats side court, too many games were half full. It looked bad and was a waste of an income source.

I concede the income argument if you assume money is everything. However, if they made the student section available to anyone a certain number of minutes prior to the game how cool would it be to sit with the students jumping around in a mosh pit. I would love that! I just watch the Duke and Pitt student sections jumping around on TV and think I wish we had one of those.

Dave85 said:
I concede the income argument if you assume money is everything. However, if they made the student section available to anyone a certain number of minutes prior to the game how cool would it be to sit with the students jumping around in a mosh pit. I would love that! I just watch the Duke and Pitt student sections jumping around on TV and think I wish we had one of those.

You cut off and didn't reply to the second part. What do you do with the fans currently sitting there that have given the program thousands?

You cut off and didn't reply to the second part. What do you do with the fans currently sitting there that have given the program thousands?

I'm going say "uncle" and give you that one without a fight. As I said, five posts earlier, "I know it will never happen but what a sweet dream to have!"

P.S. Put them in the old student section with nicer seats?

Tell them to donate more or else they will be moved.

Didn't they already receive benefits from giving the money?

I would turn around and wind the ball at one of their faces. Pick the ball up and do it again.

skurey said:
Tell them to donate more or else they will be moved.

They do donate more every year since the donation costs increase.

two3zone said:
Didn't they already receive benefits from giving the money?

Yea that's good business for the people that gave you this program.

Yea that's good business for the people that gave you this program.

I forgot, the people sitting court side gave us this program. Not the hard work of the athletes or the coaching by JB nor the other 30000 that pack the dome up, or even the other students that even go to the college. My mistake, donations for court side seating gave us this.

two3zone said:
I forgot, the people sitting court side gave us this program. Not the hard work of the athletes or the coaching by JB nor the other 30000 that pack the dome up, or even the other students that even go to the college. My mistake, donations for court side seating gave us this.

Donations are the life blood of many programs. You have a petty take in just saying get rid of them.

Lower the court. This adds an extra 10-20 rows of seating and. Rings it much closer to the court. One side could even be steeper. Allocate some of these new seats to students. The first 100-200 students into the Dome would have the option to "sit" there and would be expected to represent the Manley Zoo during that game.

This is one reason Duke can have the kids court side.
http://www.athleticscholarships.net/dukeuniversitybasketball.htm

I love when athletes support the school. I just can't get over what Carmelo did for us. It's really mind boggling what he did. The impact on the program cannot be measured. Honest, I think when he's in his 70s he's going to look back on his life and think that was the best thing he ever did. Just amazing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom