Duke just got Thornton to re-class to 15 | Syracusefan.com

Duke just got Thornton to re-class to 15

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Unreal. Rich get richer... This is what we have to compete with. Not much difference between them and UK at the moment.

Thornton and Battle are close and have indicated they may want to play together.

two3zone said:
We can't catch a freaking break...

We're going to have to recruit at a very high level to compete with Duke.

Can almost say the same with Louisville.

I don't know how much of a bad thing this is for us other than it makes Duke better next year. It's likely one less option for Murray at least this year.

But if OAD it may effect Battle/Murray next year.

Louisville is in the same boat as us. They might be worse off. They lost more and are bringing in less.

I don't know how much of a bad thing this is for us other than it makes Duke better next year. It's likely one less option for Murray at least this year.

But if OAD it may effect Battle/Murray next year.

I don't know Jordo... We want to compete with the best of the best of the ACC. Will our veterans be up to the task next year? We are 2-5 against UNC, UVA and Duke the first two go arounds in ACC. I want to beat these schools, just not sure we have the firepower to do so yet.

What do you mean Louisville?

I don't know Jordo... We want to compete with the best of the best of the ACC. Will our veterans be up to the task next year? We are 2-5 against UNC, UVA and Duke the first two go arounds in ACC. I want to beat these schools, just not sure we have the firepower to do so yet.

2-6.

Not that I think that's a fair assessment. It's a two year sample size that involves one of the worst years in the Boeheim era.

3-6 against Lville, UNC, UVA and Duke with two offensively challenged teams one of which being our worst in many years. I would like a better result as well but last year we weren't going to beat Duke. We did compete with UNC but just didn't have the horses inside. We beat Lville and lost to UVA. The year before we split with Duke but might have won both had the call been made correctly. We beat UNC and lost to UVA with an ailing Grant. 1st year very competitive and a block/charge call away from 3-1. Second year in a down year not so much. I don't think UVA or Duke will be as good next year as they were this year.

Last edited:
CusefanATL said:
What do you mean Louisville?

Uh, their class is ranked higher than SU's. Not trying to knock our class, just stating the facts.

I'm not getting how this is a bad thing for us...

a) Thornton is a PG and Battle has made it clear he is going to be a PG.
b) Battle will be committing by this summer. If Thornton is OAD that won't be apparent until next Feb-March at the earliest. Why would he commit to Duke knowing there's a chance Thornton will be there playing point?

b) Battle will be committing by this summer. If Thornton is OAD that won't be apparent until next Feb-March at the earliest. Why would he commit to Duke knowing there's a chance Thornton will be there playing point?
Thornton might consider himself OAD regardless of what happens during the regular season. If he gets any indication from the NBA or scouts that he has lottery potential, he could very well be similar to McCullough that he's OAD come hell or highwater.

Because the sky is falling! Duh

So tee (or Dean if you're online) ... what's the story with our frontline recruiting lately? Seems that a few years ago, we were killing it. After Arinze we picked up steam with Fab (who was a good recruit at the time - 7 footer), Rak in 2011, Coleman and Grant in 2012, McCullough in 2013 (Obokoh in between).

This year's class has a decent low post guy, Diagne, and a stretch 4 (Lyden) with some size. But no one over 6-8/6-9 who can anchor the zone and clean the glass against the frontlines we face in conference.

For those with short memories, the ACC is raining 6'11-plus bigs everywhere but central NY. F-St has twin towers in Turpin and Ojo; Oakafor just carried Dook to a NC (7' Plumlee is back); UNC returns Meeks, Johnson and Jones (all beasts); there's 7' Tobey at Virginia flanked by Gill (thank god Atkins graduates); Jekiri at Miami who's coming back for another year; Uchebo at Pitt; Onuako and Mahmoud at Lousiville... (6-10; 7'). We need bigs to compete in this group!!

Our front line became a concern as soon as the post-Bryant era began. We have two guys with (any) experience -- a project with potential (long way off) and a guy coming off not one, but 2 years of injuries. Last year, we got our as*es kicked on the glass against the top half of the league. TB was the shot that went half-way down and then spiraled out --- with mysteriously no contact by the coaching staff in the last 8 weeks before his decision. Once the season rolls out, I'd be shocked if DC2 can play anymore than 25-30 mpg ... which leaves 10-15 for Obokoh (and no Chris McCullough to slide over).

Calling Thomas' mom was nice. But it would have been smarter to have TB on campus or on the telephone in person .. to explain that: Duke just won a ship with 8-9 scholarship players; IU went through the same thing; we're appealing Swankey's public spanking; we're NOT IN CHAOS, etc, etc!

No doubt the COI report was rough. I feel for the staff.. especially since their recruiting record is clean and the sanctions were over the top. But there have to be prospects out there at or close to 7 feet that want to play for a top-10 caliber program in front of 30k!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom