Duke superteam? | Syracusefan.com

Duke superteam?

Devilsadvocate

Scout Team
Assuming Andrew White joins the fold (hopefully today!), Syracuse should be 1 of about 8 or 10 schools with the talent and experience to compete for a national title next year.

But the field is not as wide open as last year. Duke will have their best team since 2002 and will be a clear favorite - very tough to beat. But ... a "superteam???"

Duke is bringing the superteam back to college basketball

Hopefully, Syracuse will get 3 cracks at them next year. Can't wait!

Here we go. I hope all their fans get 40-0 tattoos.

Can't wait for Coleman and Roberson to push Giles around on the glass like he belongs in middle school.

I hear you and our front line will be able to do what UNC's did to teams last year but Duke also has a lot of experience coming back in Allen, Jones, Kinnard, Jefferson. Those guys played a ton of minutes, you add all the highly touted freshman, if they can solve the PG issues from last year then they will be very tough. I'm fine with them being teh favorites at this point, it makes sense. Who else should be?

I hear you and our front line will be able to do what UNC's did to teams last year but Duke also has a lot of experience coming back in Allen, Jones, Kinnard, Jefferson. Those guys played a ton of minutes, you add all the highly touted freshman, if they can solve the PG issues from last year then they will be very tough. I'm fine with them being teh favorites at this point, it makes sense. Who else should be?

Honestly, I don't know. Lots of firepower on that team Offensively. They've got about 9 really talented players, but not everyone is going to see the court. Do their role players (Jones/Jefferson/Jeter) even see the court much? Those are their best defensive players, but don't add much offensively.

Most Duke fans think they roll with Jackson/Allen/Tatum/Giles/Bolden, with Kennard as the 6th man. If that's who plays the most minutes, they won't be that good defensively or on the glass. I'll take our chances against them at the Dome. This is the ACC. There will be plenty of chances for them to lose in conference.

Honestly, I don't know. Lots of firepower on that team Offensively. They've got about 9 really talented players, but not everyone is going to see the court. Do their role players (Jones/Jefferson/Jeter) even see the court much? Those are their best defensive players, but don't add much offensively.

Most Duke fans think they roll with Jackson/Allen/Tatum/Giles/Bolden, with Kennard as the 6th man. If that's who plays the most minutes, they won't be that good defensively or on the glass. I'll take our chances against them at the Dome. This is the ACC. There will be plenty of chances for them to lose in conference.
Well said, plus Giles has been out for about a year with the ACL tear. Imagine next year he will be getting his sea legs back. It's about a 2 year process to regain full athleticism following that surgery. Bolden is a big bruiser, but he is not Jahil Okafor offensively. They are definitely stacked, as I think Grayson Allen scores close to 20+ on any night he wants, and I really like Frank Jackson. Good problem for them to have, and they are the best team on paper by far. Can't wait for the game at the dome. Should be amazing!

Here we go. I hope all their fans get 40-0 tattoos.

Can't wait for Coleman and Roberson to push Giles around on the glass like he belongs in middle school.

Does Duke have another player with the last name Giles? I appreciate the enthusiasm, but Harry Giles is 6-11, 230, 7-3 wingspan, and likely #1 pick in the 2017 draft. He is a lot more than the typical over hyped Duke recruit and more than likely won't look much like a middle schooler when we play him.

Does Duke have another player with the last name Giles? I appreciate the enthusiasm, but Harry Giles is 6-11, 230, 7-3 wingspan, and likely #1 pick in the 2017 draft. He is a lot more than the typical over hyped Duke recruit and more than likely won't look much like a middle schooler when we play him.

You said it. He's 6'11 and he's actually 222 lbs. That has to be skinnier than Baye Keita.

Cusefan0307 said:
You said it. He's 6'11 and he's actually 222 lbs. That has to be skinnier than Baye Keita.

He could play SG for them. Giles is amazing, crap K ruined that word. But Harry Giles, although lean, will be a very difficult player to deal with from day 1.

Duk will be preseason #1 and my guess is will spend a good part of the season there. Their team reminds me of uk in 2012- ie they have the fab 5 like freshmen mixed in with some really talented experienced guys. The question is will they have a better pg than they had last yr? And in terms of comparing them to 2012 uk will they have a talent as dominant/ transcendant as ADavis? In the end we have a chance to be as good as them. It all comes down to which team really buys into defense and shutting teams down instead of simply trying to outscore them. JB since 2013 has consistently gotten his recruits to buy into his defensive system, will Battle and the fifth year transfers buy into his system this year at some pt? ( remember last yrs team never really went all in on defense until the ncaas imo). To me that is the key question for Cuse. I still remember duks 2015 team, their defense was just flat out bad for a stretch in i think January and had a tough stretch but then okafor, winslow, tyus finally bought into Ks defensive philosophy and then they got by wisc with the help from the refs...

That Kevin Durant guy has done ok even though he's on the skinny side, our very own Hakim Warrick probably never hit 220 as he dunked on everyone, and we had guy that weighed abut 205 playing center last year. I'll be interested to see how the future #1 pick matches up against our platoon og bigs.

I know Giles is great, but our veteran front line will be a strength. We will be elite defensively.

I'm sick of reading about Duke and UK nationally, now I have to read about it on our board.

Giles won't even be Dukes leading scorer. Chances are he finishes 3rd or fourth in scoring for them behind Allen/Tatum and maybe even Jackson.

I know Giles is great, but our veteran front line will be a strength. We will be elite defensively.

I'm sick of reading about Duke and UK nationally, now I have to read about it on our board.

Giles won't even be Dukes leading scorer. Chances are he finishes 3rd or fourth in scoring for them behind Allen/Tatum and maybe even Jackson.
And maybe kennard

The league should be great this year. K is better than Cal at blending incoming high school superstars with his returning cast of high school superstars. It might take a little time, but they should be really good by the time conference play begins. North Carolina and Virginia should be good. Florida St. should be strong. Miami has become a consistently good team, but they lost a few guys that could set them back. Louisville, who the heck knows? But, they are always tough. And we should be really good. There are going to be some battles. And the styles of all the contenders are so different, with regard to how they are great. This league is pretty good.

The league should be great this year. K is better than Cal at blending incoming high school superstars with his returning cast of high school superstars. It might take a little time, but they should be really good by the time conference play begins. North Carolina and Virginia should be good. Florida St. should be strong. Miami has become a consistently good team, but they lost a few guys that could set them back. Louisville, who the heck knows? But, they are always tough. And we should be really good. There are going to be some battles. And the styles of all the contenders are so different, with regard to how they are great. This league is pretty good.

I agree and I feel that the some of the lower 3rd conference teams have things in place and are on the upswing a bit. You didn't mention ND, Piit, G-Tech, NCST ect. I think its only going to get stronger as the dominance becomes more and more obvious. Last year the ACC cleaned house in the NCAAT. That was with Lville sitting it out. No way SU makes the tourney from any other conference last year and we made the FF. The best players want to play in the best conference and the ACC is it for basketball.

I agree and I feel that the some of the lower 3rd conference teams have things in place and are on the upswing a bit. You didn't mention ND, Piit, G-Tech, NCST ect. I think its only going to get stronger as the dominance becomes more and more obvious. Last year the ACC cleaned house in the NCAAT. That was with Lville sitting it out. No way SU makes the tourney from any other conference last year and we made the FF. The best players want to play in the best conference and the ACC is it for basketball.
Good call, the teams I neglected to mention are all solid. There is no night off in the ACC. How many are you thinking for the tournament?

I've got to scratch my head at superteam sorts of predictions in July (the same goes for top-ten Syracuse talk). Duke and Syracuse are in the same boat - talented, OK, but a group of kids who've never played together. Maybe they're Final Four teams, maybe they'll lose 10 games, but nobody knows.

Seems that people were raving about Duke and Kentucky's chances at this time last year. What everyone forgot: half these high school 'stars' don't pan out, can't form a cohesive winning team.

This free agent era makes it impossible to guess what kind of season a team is going to have.

Good call, the teams I neglected to mention are all solid. There is no night off in the ACC. How many are you thinking for the tournament?

Honestly I really need to look at the teams and who's on them before trying to make that call. I usually do that around Media day for the conference. I do feel that we are going to be looking at 8 as the standard number for the ACC moving forward.

I've got to scratch my head at superteam sorts of predictions in July (the same goes for top-ten Syracuse talk). Duke and Syracuse are in the same boat - talented, OK, but a group of kids who've never played together. Maybe they're Final Four teams, maybe they'll lose 10 games, but nobody knows.

Seems that people were raving about Duke and Kentucky's chances at this time last year. What everyone forgot: half these high school 'stars' don't pan out, can't form a cohesive winning team.

This free agent era makes it impossible to guess what kind of season a team is going to have.

I take your point, but Duke was preseason #5 last year and didn't get one first place vote in the AP Poll, Kentucky was #2 and got 10 first place votes. The #1 team was UNC, and they did pretty well last year.

Super team is definitely a stretch, but if we're talking specifically about Duke; well, they are pretty much awesome every year to begin with and the talent they have on the roster for next year is pretty staggering. I find it pretty hard to believe they won't be one of the best teams pretty much all year.

I take your point, but Duke was preseason #5 last year and didn't get one first place vote in the AP Poll, Kentucky was #2 and got 10 first place votes. The #1 team was UNC, and they did pretty well last year.

Super team is definitely a stretch, but if we're talking specifically about Duke; well, they are pretty much awesome every year to begin with and the talent they have on the roster for next year is pretty staggering. I find it pretty hard to believe they won't be one of the best teams pretty much all year.

I'm not volunteering to search for it, but my claim was based on board chatter - wow, now that Duke's got this Thornton kid and Ingram, they're going to be unbeatable; with Skal and (blah blah blah), this will be UK's real chance to go 40-0, it's just not fair.

I think everyone on here tends to overrate the talent of high school kids. When they're on the one-year plan, many of them don't become college players who make a real impact (even the incomparable Mr. Ingram was an afterthought in the NCAA world this year). It's the rare Okafor/Winslow/Minnesota point guard group that comes together and becomes a great team.

Giles and crew are nice on paper, but it won't shock me in the least when one of our veterans outshines his young Duke counterpart in the head-to-head matchup, and it won't surprise me when Duke racks up a few losses and has a fairly typical non-championship season. But we'll see.

I'm not volunteering to search for it, but my claim was based on board chatter - wow, now that Duke's got this Thornton kid and Ingram, they're going to be unbeatable; with Skal and (blah blah blah), this will be UK's real chance to go 40-0, it's just not fair.

I think everyone on here tends to overrate the talent of high school kids. When they're on the one-year plan, many of them don't become college players who make a real impact (even the incomparable Mr. Ingram was an afterthought in the NCAA world this year). It's the rare Okafor/Winslow/Minnesota point guard group that comes together and becomes a great team.

Giles and crew are nice on paper, but it won't shock me in the least when one of our veterans outshines his young Duke counterpart in the head-to-head matchup, and it won't surprise me when Duke racks up a few losses and has a fairly typical non-championship season. But we'll see.

Well the odds of any single team winning the title before the season is pretty damn low, so the odds are you are correct that Duke won't win the title this year. But they'd definitely be my pick if I had to pick one team to win it this year.

In an era where the most talented teams are often the ones that have the best freshman, you want us to ignore a conference rival with 4 5 star guys coming in? One that won the NC the last time they had a classs ranked this high. That makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom