Dungey as the #2 | Syracusefan.com

Dungey as the #2

Tobias Funke

All Conference
Looks like they are going in heavy to prepare Dungey for next years starting job should he perform well in game. I normally would look for them to not burn a year for mop up duty, but with our history at QB lately it is worth using it, provided he gets good in game experience. Specifically if he will truly act as the #2

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...e_no_2_quarterback.html#incart_social_feature

If they really think he's the guy heading into next year (I think he is from a very limited view), it will only help him out to get his sea legs this year.

Watching him at fan-fest, he looked much better than any true freshman I've seen recently. What most notably stuck out to me was quick decision making.

If he's the real deal, I'd rather have the potential for a 4 year starter thanks to a redshirt than have him come in and hand the ball off in a few games this year.

If Dungey gets in the game for any circumstances, he needs to play quarterback. Not lameback. Let if fly.

I like it. Sounds like we will see him for a bit on Friday. Give him experience in a no pressure situation. Hunt wasn't ever given that opportunity a few years back. Nassib benefited from some time the year we had Paulus. We know what AJ and Austin can do, now lets see what this kid has.

Hopefully Hunt plays well and Dungey only gets a few games of mop up duty.
Dungey getting on the field in any other situation would indicate a lost season.

OttoinGrotto said:
If he's the real deal, I'd rather have the potential for a 4 year starter thanks to a redshirt than have him come in and hand the ball off in a few games this year. If Dungey gets in the game for any circumstances, he needs to play quarterback. Not lameback. Let if fly.

Can't disagree with this enough. We need a QB ready next year.

My big question is how is AJ progressing. I know he has been working with Madei Williams. Hes been hurt so the staff has not really given an assessment of him to the media.

Pretty confident that this is a testament to the future. If he is your guy moving forward, get him reps when you can. I'm excited to see him in mop up duty.
Nassib threw 68 passes his redshirt freshman year for 400 yards and 3 TDs. If Dungey gets reps like that, great. If he's just a body out there, roll out Wilson.

I agree. We cant go into next year wondering if we have the next QB on roster or not. also to Lesters point let hi get his first game experience out of the way in a controlled environment.

What exactly are you disagreeing with? Is Dungey making an appearance in three games and completing five passes all season going to get him ready for 2016? I don't think it would do anything for him.

Between Wilson and Long you've got over 200 pass attempts sitting on the bench. If PT makes a difference, they've got it all over Dungey. If we believe Dungey is the future and is better than both of those guys, let's get him in range of Wilson's 50 pass attempts at least.

I agree. We cant go into next year wondering if we have the next QB on roster or not. also to Lesters point let hi get his first game experience out of the way in a controlled environment.
Why does redshirting Dungey = we won't have a QB ready in 2016?

Nassib threw 68 passes his redshirt freshman year for 400 yards and 3 TDs. If Dungey gets reps like that, great. If he's just a body out there, roll out Wilson.

It seems that the staff is really high on this kid - that he is perhaps better than Nassib, or will be better - sooner.

I would like to see him play now.

Who knows?

Maybe he actually contributes this year.

Agree 100%. The dumbest thing would be to squander a fifth year of experienced eligibility to get him some mop up snaps this year.

He'll be just as experienced after one quarter of the first game his RF year as he will from any mop up duty action garnered this year. No thanks--I'd rather have that fifth year senior year.

Your suggestion that red shirting him is better than getting him live snaps...even if it's just a few this year.

I'd be happy burning his redshirt if he only got 20-25 live snaps this year in mop up duty.

I don't think you truly appreciate the value in playing a limited number of live snaps - and I bet Lester lets him sling it when he's in.

Never said he wouldn't be ready. I said we need to know if we have our next QB on the current roster or not. I would prefer going into next year with a game tested QB if Dungey is going to be the guy.

It seems that the staff is really high on this kid - that he is perhaps better than Nassib, or will be better - sooner.

I would like to see him play now.

Who knows?

Maybe he actually contributes this year.
All I'm saying is, if you're going to play him, play him. Give him a series every game.

Never said he wouldn't be ready. I said we need to know if we have our next QB on the current roster or not. I would prefer going into next year with a game tested QB if Dungey is going to be the guy.
We have two game tested QBs in Wilson and Long.:noidea:

Agree 100%. The dumbest thing would be to squander a fifth year of experienced eligibility to get him some mop up snaps this year.

He'll be just as experienced after one quarter of the first game his RF year as he will from any mop up duty action garnered this year. No thanks--I'd rather have that fifth year senior year.

Fact is if he is a true number 2 that means if Hunt goes down he is your guy. You dont spend the year trying not to get your #2 guy on the field.

All I'm saying is, if you're going to play him, play him. Give him a series every game.

I have no problem with that.

And based on how the coaches seem to be reacting to the guy, I wouldn't be surprised if we see that.

Your suggestion that red shirting him is better than getting him live snaps...even if it's just a few this year.

I'd be happy burning his redshirt if he only got 20-25 live snaps this year in mop up duty.

I don't think you truly appreciate the value in playing a limited number of live snaps - and I bet Lester lets him sling it when he's in.

Weigh that against the 20-25 snaps he could get in the first quarter of his first game next year--on what would undoubtedly be a bunch of handoffs? Not worth it to burn an entire year of eligibility if he's really as good as the coaches think. We need to be smarter with our talent.

631560778_14775.gif

If he comes in ... He better be slinging likes the Bills QBs against Pittsburgh

It would be a waste for him to come in and hand off or take a knee