Dungey as the #2 | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Dungey as the #2

What if the staff feels Dungey is good enough that he doesn't need a 5th year???

There's a sense here that he is that good, and dare I say is better than Hunt.
I see no downside to him redshirting and then later being an early entry NFL prospect. None at all.

A lot of back and forth in this thread but I don't think most disagree on many points.

Hunt gives us the best chance to win to start the season. We all hope his offseason paid dividends and he proves to be the best all season.

No one wants to see Dungey only get a few series of handing the ball off either. Personally I think he could get a full quarter or more in our first 3 games but that is contingent on hunt and our d playing well before him. I can't see Hunt getting the hook in a close game. Maybe we play well enough later in the season for Dungey to play more again (let's hope) or we're far enough on the other side of the scoreboard that we bring him in and let him chuck it down the field (let's not hope). There would be benefits to playing in both scenarios.

Think we all agree that we haven't seen enough from Wilson at this point to expect him to take the reigns. He could, of course, have the light come on and prove us wrong. Think we can also agree that it's a damn shame AJ was hurt and didn't get to play this offseason. The jury is far from out on him and he could still end up being the guy. There's a lot about his game I like.

What I value more is having more viable options for this year and next vs what we might have in 2020 at which point at least 4 new qb's will have joined our roster from the high school ranks. At that point hopefully our program is seen in a much more positive light and our qb and wr recruiting depth will mimic that of our RB and LB groups. Were certainly off to a good start with what we have in commits for 2016 and 2017 already. We need wins this year and next to continue that momentum.

What if the staff feels Dungey is good enough that he doesn't need a 5th year???

There's a sense here that he is that good, and dare I say is better than Hunt.

I think long run he fits better what Lester wants to do.

Not sure why people are worried about protecting a 5th year for a 3 star QB. I'd hope they recruit multiple better prospects in the next couple of years.

Yeah, I can't get too worked up over the potential of playing him this year.

If the kid turns out to be amazing then maybe we'll all lament "blowing" his redshirt. But at the same time, if we got 3 really good years out of him as a starter that'd be 3X what we've gotten out of every other QB we've had over the past SEVENTEEN years.

I'll live with that lament if it plays out that way.

I think long run he fits better what Lester wants to do.

Not sure why people are worried about protecting a 5th year for a 3 star QB. I'd hope they recruit multiple better prospects in the next couple of years.
My thinking is - if the staff thinks he's better than a 3 star, and I interpret their comments to mean they do, let's treat him that way, which means either use the guy the right way or stash him for the future.

Plus, stars don't matter. We all know that.

It's just weird to me to reconcile that the staff thinks Dungey could be so good, but as fans have the expectation that the staff can just go out and get somebody better.:noidea:

I haven't had time to read this whole thread so maybe someone else has had this thought. Just maybe the coaches realize that they have to start Hunt. Maybe they also have seen that Hunt is not any better throwing the ball than he was the last 2 years. Maybe they watch Dungey and think, "hey, this kid can really play QB._ Make the throws and correct decisions. Maybe they think with a little experience Dungey can take over this year if Hunt doesn't show any improvement. Maybe we finally have a QB on campus.

i can buy this. why should this staff be confident in hunt? all hes shown is he is a half decent runner. i was very dissappointed in his spring game performance and thats all i have to go off now.

My thinking is - if the staff thinks he's better than a 3 star, and I interpret their comments to mean they do, let's treat him that way, which means either use the guy the right way or stash him for the future.

Plus, stars don't matter. We all know that.

It's just weird to me to reconcile that the staff thinks Dungey could be so good, but as fans have the expectation that the staff can just go out and get somebody better.:noidea:

Dungey is going to be the QB next year. He preps as the next guy up and gets snaps as appropriate and/or necessary.

Shouldn't be much to debate. Worrying about the depth chart 5 years from now for this program in its current position is goofy.

There's also no reason why a player cant take a redshirt in another year besides freshman year. See Long, AJ

redshirts were originally for an injury .. last year both Hunt and AJ got hurt .. AJ has his redshirt available if needed if he doesnt heal . If Dungey plays and is very good and has the potential to be great play him now If he gets hurt he has a year to heal and come back . and possibly a 6th year if circumstances allow (I hope not)

How does having Dungey come in for mop up duty handoffs help us win now?

A QB being developed needs to get a feel for the speed of the real game, the pressure of the situation, the uncontrolled aspect of a live game. If you give him those opportunities now, when he doesn't necessarily have to go out and win the game for you, he has 12 months to evaluate his performance, watch the tapes, and learn from it. If you wait, and just throw him in next year, he has less than a week to evaluate and learn. Snaps now are more valuable than snaps next year. If he truly may be the starter next season, find a way to get him on the field now, it will pay dividends in his development. You can't keep him out hoping to squeeze an extra year out of his career. Anything can happen between now and four years from now. Just my $.02.

I took a look at all the drafted QB's in the past 2 NFL drafts to see what other coaches did:

2015:
Winston- RS - Started as a RSFrosh (left early)
Mariota- RS- Started as a RSFrosh (left early)
Garrett Grayson- Played in 4 games as a true frosh starting 3
Sean Mannion- RS- Started as a RSFrosh
Bryce Petty- RS- Started as a RSSoph
Brett Hundley- RS- Started as a RSFrosh (left early)
Trevor Siemian- RS- Started as a RSSoph

2014:
Bortles- RS- Started as RSSoph (left early)
Maziel- RS- Started as RSFrosh (left early) *Won Heisman as a RSFrosh
Bridgewater- Started 8 games as a true frosh
Derek Carr- RS- Started as a RSSoph
Jimmy Garoppolo- Started 8 games as a true frosh
Logan Thomas- RS- Started as RSSoph
Tom Savage- Started 12 games as a true frosh
Aaron Murray- RS- Started as a RSFrosh
AJ McCarron- RS- Started as a RSSoph
Mettenberger- JUCO- Started in 2nd season at LSU
David Fales- RS- Transferred to SJS and started as a RSSoph
Keith Wenning- Started 10 games as a true frosh
Tajh Boyd- RS- Started as a RSSoph
Garrett Gilbert- mop up duty behind Colt McCoy- played all of BCS National Championship game after McCoy was injured on 5th play. Started as a True Soph.

History says redshirt Dungey or start the kid. Lots of these guys RS and then started as RS Frosh so I don't see why everyone thinks he needs token snaps at the end of a few games.

That being said... if they do use him in mop up duty, and the wheels fall off and we lose our 7th game making us ineligible for a bowl. Dungey should start every game from then on.

If he's the real deal, I'd rather have the potential for a 4 year starter thanks to a redshirt than have him come in and hand the ball off in a few games this year.

If Dungey gets in the game for any circumstances, he needs to play quarterback. Not lameback. Let if fly.

100000000000000% correct. if we get up 30 at any point this season. Its time to bring in ED and run real plays until the final whistle blows. No knees ever again.

Disagree completely. Do people not remember Drew Allen? What? You know the guy that looked like Dan Marino in practice and Dan Maffei in live action?

I'm sure this staff is well aware of that disaster. Get your guy and verify he's the guy with game action and go forward.

"trust, but verify"

Lots of good comments in this thread, and an interesting discussion.

Think it boils down to RS or whether he plays - and not just mop up. All indicators point the latter. It's a no lose situation, IMO. A new starter is needed next year, and Dungey has clearly shown to be that guy to the staff. As mentioned, he still rates higher than Hunt now. If Hunt is good-to-very good in the first half of the season, he continues into the second. Either way you not only give Dungey 2nd team practice reps, but game reps throughout the season - and not just "mop up". Especially if Hunt falters or is injured (or is rated lower) at some point.

We'll know the answer in 2 days: if Dungey gets no PT against RI, they're hedging their bet - with the plan to RS barring emergency. But if he plays at all, his "rating" is much closer to Hunt's than AJ's and Wilson's, he'll see a lot of PT in the 1st 6 games, and may even overtake Hunt this season.

Ok maybe this was mentioned in the 6 threads but I'm all for having him on the 2 deep. I'm ok burning his redshirt this is why. He will develop more being the #2 qb. He will get snaps with the first team offense during practice. He will get game experience. People forget that when you redshirt a player they work on the scoutt team. He would get very minimal reps in our offense. if Dungey is that good, he needs to be immersed in our offense and learning everything and not running the scoutt team offense. The backup qb has the headset on during games and is signaling in the plays. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Worrying about the redshirt is madness.

We have not had an adequate passer that wasn't a senior since mcnabb.

Putting Dungey on a shelf because you're worried about 5 years from now is crazy. We need to figure out a way to have a sophomore and a junior QB who isn't terrible. Get Dungey ready now and when we lose the 7th game, play him all the time

this is different from morant. they blew his redshirt without him catching a pass. if they play dungey he will pass the ball.

let's figure out a way to not suck at QB next year. i'll jump off the 2019 bridge when we get to it

They did none of this when they were starting QBs in highschool?

that's true...because history has shown that high school football definitely gets kids prepared for college ball. the crowd sizes are the same (lets leave the dome attendance out of this), complexity of defenses, complexity of the offensive plays being called and the manner in which they are called into games.

there is no substitute for game experience, that is all there is to it. I cannot imagine the staff blowing his redshirt to have him hand the ball off 3 times in the 4th quarter.

Who hasnt been high on Dungy since seeing his high school tapes? Kid is a gamer and a serious athlete.

This is a trick question, right? I'll take the depressed beaten-down posters for 100, Alex.

Yeah, I can't get too worked up over the potential of playing him this year.

If the kid turns out to be amazing then maybe we'll all lament "blowing" his redshirt. But at the same time, if we got 3 really good years out of him as a starter that'd be 3X what we've gotten out of every other QB we've had over the past SEVENTEEN years.

I'll live with that lament if it plays out that way.

This. Now tie your family and livelihood to that and you can see the coaches being more than okay with the gamble.

Worrying about the redshirt is madness.

We have not had an adequate passer that wasn't a senior since mcnabb.

Putting Dungey on a shelf because you're worried about 5 years from now is crazy. We need to figure out a way to have a sophomore and a junior QB who isn't terrible. Get Dungey ready now and when we lose the 7th game, play him all the time

this is different from morant. they blew his redshirt without him catching a pass. if they play dungey he will pass the ball.

let's figure out a way to not suck at QB next year. i'll jump off the 2019 bridge when we get to it

Thank you. See what the kid can do when the lights are on and get him some snaps. 2019 is a different life time when it comes to college football

Thank you. See what the kid can do when the lights are on and get him some snaps. 2019 is a different life time when it comes to college football
if Hunt were good, I'd only think about this year and say screw 2016. the same way i'm saying screw 2019

the only reason to not want dungey to get snaps is because you really hate to see them taken from Hunt

if Hunt were good, I'd only think about this year and say screw 2016. the same way i'm saying screw 2019

the only reason to not want dungey to get snaps is because you really hate to see them taken from Hunt

Lets reserve Dungey for 2019 because he might be really good? Crazy. You will still have 3 years of really qb play if he is with 3 years to find a replacement. Crazy

People forget that when you redshirt a player they work on the scoutt team.
That's not automatic. Dungey could well be the #2 QB and never see a live down. Redshirt preserved, and he still did all of the game prep you'd expect of your #2.