During this weekend of Thanksgiving there is one man I want to remember | Syracusefan.com

During this weekend of Thanksgiving there is one man I want to remember

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
P_494926_1655785.JPG

This man is largely responsible for the banner above. He let the Syracuse staff know about a very special player from his area. The man was a Syracuse University graduate and was a mentor to a young man named Jim Brown. Ken Malloy who had distinguished himself on the lacrosse field under the tutelage of Roy Simmons Sr. and was recognized as a two-time All American pushed and persisted for Brown's admittance. SU would not offer Jim Brown a scholarship, imagine that?! Ken used his own funds to insure Brown an opportunity to show his greatness to the world. You know all about Jim Brown's achievements , this is about Ken Malloy and the man he was.

Ken was born August 2, 1919 and lived 80 years mostly in his adopted hometown of Manhasset. He was born in Brooklyn and attended Manual Training HS where he played Lacrosse, Basketball, Baseball and Swimming. He served our country in the US Navy during WWII. As a Lieutenant he was awarded the Silver Star as the commander of a PT boat. He was later recruited by the O.S.S. to head a close to suicide mission with a projected invasion of Japan. His mission was to rescue crews while channeling his boat through heavily explosion laden waters.

Who knows if he would have survived that dangerous mission? The atom bombs were dropped right after his training was complete for the mission. The head of the O.S.S. was so impressed with Ken that he would later offer him a possition in his law firm.

Syracuse fans, here is a graduate you can be proud of, just read this Citation from Ken's Silver Star award:

"By virtue of the power delegated to me, I take pleasure in awarding in the name of the President of the United States, the Silver Star Medal to: LIEUTENANT (JG) KENNETH D. MOLLOY, U.S. NAVAL RESERVE CITATION For distinguishing himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action against the enemy.

On 17 August 1944, as Commanding Officer of Motor Torpedo Boat 326, he was conducting a patrol against Japanese barges on the west shore of Geelvink Bay. On the previous night another PT patrol had sighted and attacked approximately twelve enemy barges on the beach on the southeastern coast of Mansiman Island, off Manokwari, New Guinea.

Under orders to make a close reconnaissance of these barges, and to destroy any that remained serviceable, he approached the position in broad daylight to within twenty yards of the beach.

He first made one run at a very slow speed to appraise the number and condition of the enemy craft. He then reversed his course and thoroughly strafed the entire row of barges. At this time heavy caliber enemy batteries at Manokwari opened up, as well as machine gun positions on Mansiman.

Despite this, he courageously and aggressively made a second run in the face of the fire to within fifty yards of the barges and beach. It has been definitely established that three of the craft were sunk, and all the remaining barges were damaged beyond repair. His skill and calmness were outstanding. His leadership was an inspiration to his men. His actions were in keeping with the highest traditions of the Navy of the United States.

T.C. KINCAID Vice Admiral, U.S. Navy, Commander Seventh Fleet. Classified Citation"

Ken would go on to be a successful lawyer and judge on the New York State Supreme Court.

If it were not for Ken Malloy there would be no Jim Brown at SU. Syracuse had just gotten over a stormy period of time with a black athlete who had the temerity to date white girls. Avatus Stone did not endear himself to the university nor the community, but that's another story.

Jim Brown recruited Ernie Davis and Syracuse won the 1959 National Championship with Davis the star of the team.

Thank you Ken Malloy, for the gift you gave all of us.

Great story, much of which I did not know. Thanks for posting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom