Dylan Maltz to leave Syracuse, transfer to Maryland | Syracusefan.com

Dylan Maltz to leave Syracuse, transfer to Maryland

I'm guessing that he saw himself behind Staats, Rice, Donohue, and Galasso on the depth chart, and he didn't want to come off the bench for another season.

As Max said above, I did NOT see that coming. Wow.

I'm guessing that he saw himself behind Staats, Rice, Donohue, and Galasso on the depth chart, and he didn't want to come off the bench for another season.

Maybe, but 3 of those guys are seniors and Galasso played exclusively middie last year. There was a role for him as the 4th attackmen for sure, more of an attacking dodger than any of the starting 3. Not to mention the kid grew up in a SU lax family and couldn't wait to play there. Have to wonder if brother Derek's decreased playing time last year had an impact. Its a bummer for sure, really nice young player.

Maybe, but 3 of those guys are seniors and Galasso played exclusively middie last year. There was a role for him as the 4th attackmen for sure, more of an attacking dodger than any of the starting 3. Not to mention the kid grew up in a SU lax family and couldn't wait to play there. Have to wonder if brother Derek's decreased playing time last year had an impact. Its a bummer for sure, really nice young player.

Also, there is a 3rd Maltz brother who is supposed to be great. The more I think about this, the less sense it makes. Tough one.

Could be homesickness?
Too bad. Liked his game.

Pretty big loss and really no way to spin it positively. When it comes to SU lax I never use the word devestating loss because theres so much talent but this is pretty close. As someone noted above the offense is loaded for bear next year but its the year after Maltz really could have made an impact.

His transfer is puzzling for a few reasons.
1. He is not only a legacy but his father won a championship here and his youngest brother is supposedly pretty high on Syracuse.

2. While Maryland is losing Cannizzaro to Denver (most likely) its not like theres a ton of PT available over there at attack especially with Rambo, Heacock, Lacassio and others not to mention most of Maryland's attack is in the same class (soph) as Dylan and they have another pretty highly rated attack guy coming this fall.

3. Its clear he was in the game plan for Syracuse, he played in a couple games including JHU where he got pretty good minutes. Obviously there wasn't a ton of PT to be had with Donahue, Rice, and Staats around but his Jr. and Sr. years were wide open.

This to me is an odd decision but if I had to guess I think Orange Extremes reasons are probably the most likely. Very dissapointed in his decision to say the least.

Kudo to Outoftownie who called this a few days ago as well.

Could be homesickness?
Too bad. Liked his game.

Yup one of the recruits I liked most last year after Evans and I had him as my potential breakout player this year. Big loss, first really big loss to transfer in quite awhile.

Hard to say but you get the feeling he expected to play more and Derek's reduced role this year probably didnt make the argument to stay as strong as it could have. Was hoping the article would get a little more in depth into his decision. I know his father is pretty outspoken I have a feeling we will here more in the next few weeks.

Also, there is a 3rd Maltz brother who is supposed to be great. The more I think about this, the less sense it makes. Tough one.
Danny will be an 8th grader this year (class of 2019) & has been described as a "phenom" in multiple articles about the brothers. When asked about his recruitment in an interview prior to last year's UA AA Game, I remember Dylan talking about what a great relationship he had with Coach Tillman at MD.

Im wondering if Evans being healthy next year played a role as well especially with McGinley and a few others looking to play middie perhaps Evans was going to get those 4th attack minutes. Still seems like an odd decision.

Danny will be an 8th grader this year (class of 2019) & has been described as a "phenom" in multiple articles about the brothers. When asked about his recruitment in an interview prior to last year's UA AA Game, I remember Dylan talking about what a great relationship he had with Coach Tillman at MD.

Would definitely have to think Maryland is the leader there but hes so far out things can certainly change by then.

You guys have to remember, this kids are lacrosse players for about 4 hours a day and students the other 20 hours. You got to be happy with both, and more often than not the guys tha transfer are looking for something else in those 20 hours. Homesick, course of study, long distance relationship. These are 19-21 year old kids, most of whom made their decision on college four or five years ago. Sad to see him leave, love legacy players.

Last edited:
It isn't always b

You guys have to remember, this kids are lacrosse players for about 4 hours a day and students the other 20 hours. You got to be happy with both, and more often than not the guys tha transfer are looking for something else in those 20 hours. Homesick, course of study, long distance relationship. These are 19-21 year old kids, most of whom made their decision on college four or five years ago. Sad to see him leave, love legacy players.

Agreed, theres no telling what may or may not have influenced his decision to leave. Was looking forward to seeing him his Jr year though, kids a great player. You have to wonder if this will make Desko become more agressive in landing a transfer this offseason. I know Cannizzaro is all but penciled in for Denver but maybe we set our sights on someone else.

Agreed, theres no telling what may or may not have influenced his decision to leave. Was looking forward to seeing him his Jr year though, kids a great player. You have to wonder if this will make Desko become more agressive in landing a transfer this offseason. I know Cannizzaro is all but penciled in for Denver but maybe we set our sights on someone else.
Woody or anyone else have any insights/updates on the status' of Gale Thorpe &/or Ryan Cook from Caz? Both enrolled at OCC in the fall. Last I knew, a post on Laxpower suggested that Thorpe took classes but didn't play with the hopes of enrolling at SU next year with 4 years of eligibility. I haven't heard anything regarding Cook, who was not on the OCC roster this past Spring.

Woody or anyone else have any insights/updates on the status' of Gale Thorpe &/or Ryan Cook from Caz? Both enrolled at OCC in the fall. Last I knew, a post on Laxpower suggested that Thorpe took classes but didn't play with the hopes of enrolling at SU next year with 4 years of eligibility. I haven't heard anything regarding Cook, who was not on the OCC roster this past Spring.

I think Thorpe has a good chance of making it he seems to want to be here pretty badly. As for Cook the fact that he wasnt even on the roster last spring leads me to believe hes heading down Jerome Thompson lane, I doubt he ever ends up here. Will be interesting to see if we make a play for a late recruit in next years class or if we go after someone from OCC again this spring. Barber coming here was a pretty big surprise to just about everyone when that info came out a few months ago. Could there be another next spring?

Im wondering if Evans being healthy next year played a role as well especially with McGinley and a few others looking to play middie perhaps Evans was going to get those 4th attack minutes. Still seems like an odd decision.
Maltz showed as much as Evans last year unfortunately.

I'm sure transfers Staats and Galasso weren't on Dylan's radar when he initially signed with the Orange.It didn't help when Galasso got injured in 2013 and extended his eligibility another year. Also, it seemed like Desko was preoccupied with getting fellow freshman Jordan Evans on the field last year and Dylan didn't care for the lack of attention. This will be much less painful if Galasso, Staats and seniors win a national championship next year.

Maltz showed as much as Evans last year unfortunately.
Evans had nagging injuries all of last year, not saying he is better just that I think we have not seen him at his best.

There are huge changes being talked about on the hill.

retro44 said:
There are huge changes being talked about on the hill.

New bookstore?

C'mon, Retro.

My Minoa Mole told me that Desko is going to start tying his left shoe first, as opposed to his right.
Are you serious??? Title #12, here we come!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom