EJ Manuel - Marrone/Hackett related | Syracusefan.com

EJ Manuel - Marrone/Hackett related

longislandcuse

Living Legend
Bizarre if true.

"Gerald Volpe says: 'Is there any validity to the argument that EJ Manuel’s development was stymied by the Doug Marrone coaching staff? Wide-eyed rookie in 2013. Put him in as a starter and run a high-speed, no-huddle attack. I remember hearing Nathaniel Hackett, Marrone’s OC, saying, “We have to go faster.” Plus, having no QB coach the first year & being told to play it safe, both with his passing and running.'

"I say: There is plenty of validity to that.

"From what I’ve heard from the current Bills coaching staff, Manuel has gotten minimal technical/mechanical guidance since arriving in Buffalo as a first-round draft pick. The opinion of the current coaches is that he pretty much has been on his own the past two years in developing his game. And that has been reflected in his performance through offseason workouts.

"How does that impact his chances in the competition for the starting job? You would have to think that Manuel is at least at somewhat of a disadvantage against Matt Cassel, who is entering his 11th season and is known for picking up new offenses quickly, and Tyrod Taylor, who is entering his fifth season and also had very good coaching during the past four years with the Baltimore Ravens.

"It is possible for Manuel to make up for some of that 'lost' coaching time through the tutelage he is receiving from new Bills quarterbacks coach David Lee.

"And as much as offensive coordinator Greg Roman might be leaning in the direction of Cassel because of the belief that he would be less inclined to make as many mistakes as Manuel or Taylor – a critical component to the “ground and pound” approach – none of the Bills’ quarterbacks has exactly distinguished himself with consistently efficient showings during offseason practices so far."

Maybe he is just not very bright? Does he work hard?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom