Empire Challenge | Syracusefan.com

Empire Challenge

money3189

Living Legend
Not surprised to see long island win it again. NYC players were very chippy. A few thrown out of the game but there's another reason why I brought this game up for discussion. The announcers interviewed Jordan Fredericks, who was just spectating. Jordan said the staff wants him at RB and he is all ready in the 2 Deep. Should we be excited about that? Is George and McFarland really that bad? I still have hope for them but they have been disapointing .

If true and our suspicions on Strickland being in two-deep as well, i just have to wonder what the heck happened to GMIII. two years ago he looked like the next great SU running back.

I thought Dmac could have been a good safety but that sure would have left us thin at RB. I don't think either have received many carries to see if they are capable of doing damage. Although if the coaches aren't giving it to them, then it might be indicative of something. I liked PTG but he wasn't a world beater, solid RB but not special enough to think someone couldn't get more of his carries.

Honestly I wanted to see some more Swerve Phillips. I hope he bulked up to increase his work load and avoid injuries. I'm excited for his potential

I don't think it should surprise anyone that incoming freshman can compete immediately on this team...after all our recruiting is getting better isn't it? Doesn't that mean freshman can be equal to or better than some of the older guys?
I personally think Dmac is the better of the 2 RB's, not sure what the deal is with GMIII, but whoever steps up of the 2 older guys or freshman, just get the job done!

If true and our suspicions on Strickland being in two-deep as well, i just have to wonder what the heck happened to GMIII. two years ago he looked like the next great SU running back.

GMIII has definitely regressed as a runner. Who knows why. and besides his running ability he can't catch a pass either.

PhatOrange said:
GMIII has definitely regressed as a runner. Who knows why. and besides his running ability he can't catch a pass either.

I think the pass catching probably bothers the coaches even more than the impatient running style (he had moments last year of being aggressive, but not nearly enough). The alligator arms combined with the rock hands though, I think that will keep him off the field more than anything else.

I think the pass catching probably bothers the coaches even more than the impatient running style (he had moments last year of being aggressive, but not nearly enough). The alligator arms combined with the rock hands though, I think that will keep him off the field more than anything else.

yup, i think the same thing.

Not sure what happened to Morris? I liked what I saw from him as a Freshman, but he seems to have regressed. I also don't see McFarlne as a 10+ carry back. I definitely can see Strickland, and Fredericks getting the bulk of the carries by seasons end.

Really think the staff undervalues McFarlane, he's a playmaker.

I expect GMII to improve and be closer to the RB that I thought he'd be.*

* I expected the same last year. :(

2 runs over 10 yards all season makes you a playmaker?
on 28 carries where he averaged out 6 YAC with a long of 80+ yards...

Yeah I think at the very least he deserves his shot this year. He's a receiving threat out of the backfield too, if he can catch the ball.

Not surprised to see long island win it again. NYC players were very chippy. A few thrown out of the game but there's another reason why I brought this game up for discussion. The announcers interviewed Jordan Fredericks, who was just spectating. Jordan said the staff wants him at RB and he is all ready in the 2 Deep. Should we be excited about that? Is George and McFarland really that bad? I still have hope for them but they have been disapointing .
thats one of the reasons i like nyc and li players is that they have attitudes

I don't think the staff "undervalues" any of the RBs. They see these kids day in and day out, so they know exactly what they're capable of. This staff is starting to fill out their roster with their recruits, especially at RB, so they're clearly excited about some of them (especially Fredericks). Whoever gives them the best look in camp will get the carries. It's never a great thing to start a true frosh, but Smith and Lester are pumped about a few of them. And they say they're physically ready to play right away.

on 28 carries where he averaged out 6 YAC with a long of 80+ yards...

Yeah I think at the very least he deserves his shot this year. He's a receiving threat out of the backfield too, if he can catch the ball.
Half of his rushing yards last season were on one carry. If you take out the outlier (1 carry for 86 yards), he averaged 3 yards per run. Granted, he's only as effective as his offensive line. But I don't see what you see.

I'll admit Morris has been underwhelming so far. I was high on him as an RB with good tape coming out of a great football state like Georgia.

Seems like this season he can either grab the opportunity or let it drift away. Let's hope he takes it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom