Encoraging Signs --- Long Way To Go | Syracusefan.com

Encoraging Signs --- Long Way To Go

jordoo

Living Legend
Viewed in the light of Thursday's reality check I found last night very encouraging. I think its obvious that this team has some major growing to do and even with all the talent they just aren't very good right now. I realize that I need to view this team by how they are improving rather than by all the mistakes they make or what they lack.

First some thoughts on the sophmores since bench use seems to be a major board concern:
I mentioned that we couldn't fix all of Thursday's problems before Friday and where that was most evident was JB's use or non use of the bench. There was simply no time for the staff to go over all the mistakes on defense and offense with the less experienced players and also install the game plan for Iowa. Obviously the game plan for Iowa was of primary importance. I know there is a group of posters that are already very concerned about the short bench last night and although in some thought perspectives its valid I'd say be patient and see what happens @ Michigan with the bench. I'd bet that it will directly related to how "My Three Son's" take corrections from their MSG performances and install them into the next two games. Specifically getting back on defense, not missing obvious half court defensive assignments (the corner) and jacking quick covered jumpers. If they do then we will see them get opportunities against Michigan. I think we would like to see BJ be a spark plug bench scorer and establish himself as a shooter but he's got to play better defense and use a little bit of discrimination in his shot selection. I think Buss can bring energy and keep Cooney around 30minutes a game but he cannot come in and jack bad shots when he has shown he is a streaky shooter. JB did give Buss a chance last night which is a good sign and its because most of the time he plays excellent defense. We need Tyler to be a capable scorer in a complimentary roll because he is not going to get a lot of defensive attention with Chris and Rak out there. I think he's getting closer but he needs to make teams pay for leaving him open. These 3 guys are the key to long term success and their development alongside the development of our main 5 guys is going to determine how good this team can be.

Ok the defense was still pretty poor compared to what we are used to. Mike over commits and flies by the wing shooter quite often causing rotational problems. Trevor and Kaleb over commit to the shot and don't do a good job with the screnes allowing penetration much to easily. Kaleb specifically is really lost in the concept of the zone and in what his weak side responsibilities are. Most of the time we had a free runner coming down the lane to crash the offensive glass it was because Kaleb had no one to guard but had not dropped down. Chris and Tyler are still learning the wing position but they are improving and both show good instincts and effort. Still we held Iowa in the low 60's and forced a lot of turnovers. Some of what we are seeing is guys like Cooney, Christmas and MikeG over compensating for mistakes and missed rotations they are starting to expect the other guys to make. As Kaleb, Chris, Tyler and BJ start to get it I expect the defense to gel and be pretty good. The major issue we will have all season is going to be what happens when Christmas is out of the game. Even though I think Chris can contest shots pretty well from the 5 he doesn't direct traffic well (no surprise for a freshman) and is too slight to hold his position. Chino is also inexperienced and even if DC2 comes back we wasn't exactly the best defensive center we have seen. I do think that DC2 would be an instant upgrade on D from Chris or Chino but I think this is the one big issue we will have on defense all year even as we improve which I see coming little by little.

Offensively we are still a work in progress. Shooting is a big question mark right now although I think Cooney is showing signs. No 0-fers yet and he seems to be making his open squared shots at a high rate. Its more about being able to get more of those shots for him. Still he needs to expand his offensive game which we see some small indications of. Mike, BJ, Buss, Kaleb and even Tyler need to help in the jump shooting department. All of them have the ability its about taking good looks when you get them and not rushing. All of these guys have passed up good shots and taken some poor ones. If you are open in your comfort area you have to catch and take that shot because we might not get it again in that possession with the exception of Mike and Kaleb who also have the responsibility of running the offense. I still think that this team has more shooters than last season, perhaps no great shooters but more guys who can and will make open ones when they shoot with confidence. Rak and Chris are going to be a great offensive tandem but their over all efficiency relies on the rest of the guys moving the ball well and making teams pay for the extra attention given to our two big guys. We see signs of this but nothing consistent yet. The good news is that no matter who we have played if we get Rak the ball in good position down low he has scored. Also Chris can score in so many ways that as he continues to develop he is pretty much going to get his no matter what, he's just scratching the surface right now. Our transition offense is a mess right now but oozes potential and could round into a big strength. That leads me into one of the most important reasons for optimism Kaleb Joseph.

Lets not sugar coat it Kaleb right now is a mess as a PG and lost on defense. He needs to keep playing 30+ minutes because we need him to get better. The biggest take away I have is that he is nervous, thinking and unsure most of the time, even more so than Tyler. In the exhibition season his pull up looked strong and ripped the nets now even when his shots go in they rattle the rim a sure sign of nerves. He looks like he is a step slower and not very quick most of the time and we know this is not the case. He was honestly scared to try and break that pitiful little trap that Iowa threw at us. Still he had what 9 assists and the nutz to try and win the game with a jumper (he will make that 70% of the time later this season). Everything wrong with his game right now is tied to lack of experience, indecision and being uncomfortable. Same as Thursday Kaleb needs to accept that he will make mistakes, play like Kaleb and be natural. He has all the tools and will get there as everything is fixable and tied mostly to success and experience. As he gains it and gets coached up he will get comfortable and reliable. We have to be patient here and we should see him making aggressive mistakes as a big positive because it means he is moving in the right direction. Its the cautious hesitant mistakes that are bad and as long as we see these diminishing as he plays more then things will get much better. Kaleb has the ability to bring a whole new dimension to this team. He will be able to free up Rak and Chris, get Cooney the shots we want him to take and allow everyone else room to operate in their comfort level. He is the key offensively IMO.

I can't wait to watch the next game and see what has changed.

Last edited:
Jordoo, what a great write up! We as fans need to put most of our energy into expecting good things from our players, because that is the energy the players themselves need as they play, learn and grow. I am not saying that we can't point out mistakes and disappointments, because that is why we have a board: to express ourselves. What I like to try to do is picture the times one of our players, say Joseph, did something right and that is the loop that will be in my brain, rather than picturing the awfulness of a mistake and making that the loop instead.

All of the insights on this board are valuable, even the ones I don't "like," and I feel like I learn something every day about basketball and my team. What a wonderful resource this place is!

Viewed in the light of Thursday's reality check I found last night very encouraging. I think its obvious that this team has some major growing to do and even with all the talent they just aren't very good right now. I realize that I need to view this team by how they are improving rather than by all the mistakes they make or what they lack.

First some thoughts on the sophmores since bench use seems to be a major board concern:
I mentioned that we couldn't fix all of Thursday's problems before Friday and where that was most evident was JB's use or non use of the bench. There was simply no time for the staff to go over all the mistakes on defense and offense with the less experienced players and also install the game plan for Iowa. Obviously the game plan for Iowa was of primary importance. I know there is a group of posters that are already very concerned about the short bench last night and although in some thought perspectives its valid I'd say be patient and see what happens @ Michigan with the bench. I'd bet that it will directly related to how "My Three Son's" take corrections from their MSG performances and install them into the next two games. Specifically getting back on defense, not missing obvious half court defensive assignments (the corner) and jacking quick covered jumpers. If they do then we will see them get opportunities against Michigan. I think we would like to see BJ be a spark plug bench scorer and establish himself as a shooter but he's got to play better defense and use a little bit of discrimination in his shot selection. I think Buss can bring energy and keep Cooney around 30minutes a game but he cannot come in and jack bad shots when he has shown he is a streaky shooter. JB did give Buss a chance last night which is a good sign and its because most of the time he plays excellent defense. We need Tyler to be a capable scorer in a complimentary roll because he is not going to get a lot of defensive attention with Chris and Rak out there. I think he's getting closer but he needs to make teams pay for leaving him open. These 3 guys are the key to long term success and their development alongside the development of our main 5 guys is going to determine how good this team can be.

Ok the defense was still pretty poor compared to what we are used to. Mike over commits and flies by the wing shooter quite often causing rotational problems. Trevor and Kaleb over commit to the shot and don't do a good job with the screnes allowing penetration much to easily. Kaleb specifically is really lost in the concept of the zone and in what his weak side responsibilities are. Most of the time we had a free runner coming down the lane to crash the offensive glass it was because Kaleb had no one to guard but had not dropped down. Chris and Tyler are still learning the wing position but they are improving and both show good instincts and effort. Still we held Iowa in the low 60's and forced a lot of turnovers. Some of what we are seeing is guys like Cooney, Christmas and MikeG over compensating for mistakes and missed rotations they are starting to expect the other guys to make. As Kaleb, Chris, Tyler and BJ start to get it I expect the defense to gel and be pretty good. The major issue we will have all season is going to be what happens when Christmas is out of the game. Even though I think Chris can contest shots pretty well from the 5 he doesn't direct traffic well (no surprise for a freshman) and is too slight to hold his position. Chino is also inexperienced and even if DC2 comes back we wasn't exactly the best defensive center we have seen. I do think that DC2 would be an instant upgrade on D from Chris or Chino but I think this is the one big issue we will have on defense all year even as we improve which I see coming little by little.

Offensively we are still a work in progress. Shooting is a big question mark right now although I think Cooney is showing signs. No 0-fers yet and he seems to be making his open squared shots at a high rate. Its more about being able to get more of those shots for him. Still he needs to expand his offensive game which we see some small indications of. Mike, BJ, Buss, Kaleb and even Tyler need to help in the jump shooting department. All of them have the ability its about taking good looks when you get them and not rushing. All of these guys have passed up good shots and taken some poor ones. If you are open in your comfort area you have to catch and take that shot because we might not get it again in that possession with the exception of Mike and Kaleb who also have the responsibility of running the offense. I still think that this team has more shooters than last season, perhaps no great shooters but more guys who can and will make open ones when they shoot with confidence. Rak and Chris are going to be a great offensive tandem but their over all efficiency relies on the rest of the guys moving the ball well and making teams pay for the extra attention given to our two big guys. We see signs of this but nothing consistent yet. The good news is that no matter who we have played if we get Rak the ball in good position down low he has scored. Also Chris can score in so many ways that as he continues to develop he is pretty much going to get his no matter what, he's just scratching the surface right now. Our transition offense is a mess right now but oozes potential and could round into a big strength. That leads me into one of the most important reasons for optimism Kaleb Joseph.

Lets not sugar coat it Kaleb right now is a mess as a PG and lost on defense. He needs to keep playing 30+ minutes because we need him to get better. The biggest take away I have is that he is nervous, thinking and unsure most of the time, even more so than Tyler. In the exhibition season his pull up looked strong and ripped the nets now even when his shots go in they rattle the rim a sure sign of nerves. He looks like he is a step slower and not very quick most of the time and we know this is not the case. He was honestly scared to try and break that pitiful little trap that Iowa threw at us. Still he had what 9 assists and the nutz to try and win the game with a jumper (he will make that 70% of the time later this season). Everything wrong with his game right now is tied to lack of experience, indecision and being uncomfortable. Same as Thursday Kaleb needs to accept that he will make mistakes, play like Kaleb and be natural. He has all the tools and will get there as everything is fixable and tied mostly to success and experience. As he gains it and gets coached up he will get comfortable and reliable. We have to be patient here and we should see him making aggressive mistakes as a big positive because it means he is moving in the right direction. Its the cautious hesitant mistakes that are bad and as long as we see these diminishing as he plays more then things will get much better. Kaleb has the ability to bring a whole new dimension to this team. He will be able to free up Rak and Chris, get Cooney the shots we want him to take and allow everyone else room to operate in their comfort level. He is the key offensively IMO.

First off, great write up. Couldn't agree more with what you wrote. I also noticed the over compensation on defense especially up top with Cooney, great point.

Great post. We all are fans in our own way, and for me personally i love to watch kids/young men progress as a team. I will always truly believe the SU team that made the most steady progress during the entire season was the 2003 team and i am glad they were rewarded w a championship for it. Look back to the memphis loss, they were no where near a championship team and if i remember not even ranked (for whatever thats worth). But imo i could see them get better ea and every month , i first thought they could win it all when we beat rutgers, had a little hiccup in the BET but then really turned it up a notch in the NCAAs. We struggled w OSU but then the way we controlled (4 straight very good teams) Aub, OU, UT and KU (well at least in the first half) was the best run of big game bball i have ever seen from SU. The second best progress during the entire course of a season i have ever seen from an SU team was 87, that team did it the right way imo, which made the end all the more heartwrenching. The 96 and 2013 teams really didnt show me steady progress so much, they flat out struggled (2013) or were uninspired (96) during much of the regular season but then just got hot at the end. The third most steady progress of an SU team i have seen was the 89 team (well at least after losing 4 of 5 to start the BE season), and i truly thought we could win it all by march, with the loss in elite 8 to the illini being the second most gutwrenching loss i ever witnessed (after 87 to IU). Even the 2012 elite 8 team as truly great as they were, i thought it was tough for them to progress as a team with what was going down w Fab, it really hampered their continued development and ability to keep getting even better as a team.

Sorry for all the reminiscing on JBs/SUs rich history but my point is i think this team definitely has the youth and potential to progress as much or more than most in JBs tenure. We may never quite get there as we have a long way to go judging from the cal/iowa games. I would be very surprised if we contended for an ACC title or another elite 8 but i still expect great improvement and progress from this team over the entire season and hope we slip into the NCAAs so this team has a chance to peak in the NCAAs. Its been an eye opening start to the season but i still very much look forward to following the development of this team. I selfishly hope JB gives RP and BJ playing time as i think they have just as much potential to progress as TR, CM and KJ. For me i truly believe its going to be an enjoyable season ....Go Cuse

Great post. We all are fans in our own way, and for me personally i love to watch kids/young men progress as a team. I will always truly believe the SU team that made the most steady progress during the entire season was the 2003 team and i am glad they were rewarded w a championship for it. Look back to the memphis loss, they were no where near a championship team and if i remember not even ranked (for whatever thats worth). But imo i could see them get better ea and every month , i first thought they could win it all when we beat rutgers, had a little hiccup in the BET but then really turned it up a notch in the NCAAs. We struggled w OSU but then the way we controlled (4 straight very good teams) Aub, OU, UT and KU (well at least in the first half) was the best run of big game bball i have ever seen from SU. The second best progress during the entire course of a season i have ever seen from an SU team was 87, that team did it the right way imo, which made the end all the more heartwrenching. The 96 and 2013 teams really didnt show me steady progress so much, they flat out struggled (2013) or were uninspired (96) during much of the regular season but then just got hot at the end. The third most steady progress of an SU team i have seen was the 89 team (well at least after losing 4 of 5 to start the BE season), and i truly thought we could win it all by march, with the loss in elite 8 to the illini being the second most gutwrenching loss i ever witnessed (after 87 to IU). Even the 2012 elite 8 team as truly great as they were, i thought it was tough for them to progress as a team with what was going down w Fab, it really hampered their continued development and ability to keep getting even better as a team.

Sorry for all the reminiscing on JBs/SUs rich history but my point is i think this team definitely has the youth and potential to progress as much or more than most in JBs tenure. We may never quite get there as we have a long way to go judging from the cal/iowa games. I would be very surprised if we contended for an ACC title or another elite 8 but i still expect great improvement and progress from this team over the entire season and hope we slip into the NCAAs so this team has a chance to peak in the NCAAs. Its been an eye opening start to the season but i still very much look forward to following the development of this team. I selfishly hope JB gives RP and BJ playing time as i think they have just as much potential to progress as TR, CM and KJ. For me i truly believe its going to be an enjoyable season ...Go Cuse
And as a continuation, i should obviously have mentioned the 2010 team, another of my favorite teams, like the 87 team, they had so much talent and did it the right way and kept getting better and better during the course of the season...until the AO injury. That injury was the third most gut wrenching thing i have ever witnessed from SU , after the 87 and 89 season ending losses. Hope nothing like that ever happens to JB again. Go SU

Very good post, Jordoo. These next two games [Tuesday and Friday] will be good tune-up games, and good opportunities for players like Joseph / BJ / Patterson / Roberson to get PT, get more comfortable, and hopefully have some success against a lesser opponent, to help them gain confidence.

We need all four of those guys to contribute this year for this team to be an NCAA caliber squad.

1 thing I would like to see added if we get the opportunity...

If dajuan is ready to play Even mid Jan, I like the thought of him out there. I think he could be a big plus to rebound for Rak and McCullough in the low post, especially with McCullough showing the comfortable jumpshooting range of a sf, and Gbinije and KAleb favoring the midrange shot. Not to mention a backup center for Rak.
Can he attempt to play a game or 2 and not lose elgibility, not sure what the ruling is on that?

and
1 thing that will defenetly change the chemistry of the team as the year goes on.
Our guards didn't penentrate the last 10 minutes while we were up against Iowa. I think that defenetly changes over time. We need to attack the rim get to the line and get some easy buckets from guys other then our bigs late in games. A big reason why Iowa came back late in the game.

1 thing I would like to see added if we get the opportunity...

If dajuan is ready to play Even mid Jan, I like the thought of him out there. I think he could be a big plus to rebound for Rak and McCullough in the low post, especially with McCullough showing the comfortable jumpshooting range of a sf, and Gbinije and KAleb favoring the midrange shot. Not to mention a backup center for Rak.
Can he attempt to play a game or 2 and not lose elgibility, not sure what the ruling is on that?

and
1 thing that will defenetly change the chemistry of the team as the year goes on.
Our guards didn't penentrate the last 10 minutes while we were up against Iowa. I think that defenetly changes over time. We need to attack the rim get to the line and get some easy buckets from guys other then our bigs late in games. A big reason why Iowa came back late in the game.
You make a great point about the guards not attacking/playing tentative. But while i was watching last night for the final 9 mins, i was wondering if the guards were playing tentative or if they were told to go into slow down mode. Pretty tough to attack when coach is telling you to stall and run down the shot clock. Not sure if thats what JB instructed but if so i dont think you should be doing that at the 8-9 min mark. Anyway obviously i know this is HOFer JBs team but that is one thing that confused me last night.

Great post, Jordoo. It might contain the best argument that I have seen for the short bench last evening. Though I'm not quite sure I fully buy into the lack of playing time for two players that definitely need the work (BJ and Buss), I can see your logic in terms of the short turnaround between games. Your point about holding off on evaluating the usage and development of our bench players until the Michigan game seems wise since there will be more time for working out the problems by then. The implication is that we should worry if, by that game, we aren't seeing more than six players in the rotation.

Coach Boeheim and the kids were able to win last night's game despite only six players getting major minutes. However, it seems all of us regard this as a recipe that isn't sustainable.

I think the question that divides the board on the bench depth issue is "Should we try to beat teams like Iowa in November at the expense of letting young players make mistakes so that they can work through them and develop as the season progresses?" Though I believe that players bring to games what they know, so learning mainly happens in practice, I would posit that players still need game experience to improve.

Think of it like teaching students. They don't learn by merely listening to a teacher; they learn through applying the skills and concepts that the teacher offers. First, students hear and/or see content. Then, they need to practice these skills and concepts in a controlled environment with low stakes. Eventually, though, they need to complete more formal assessments that require them to demonstrate their abilities. Based on this assessment, they need constructive feedback on their performance--both strengths and weaknesses--that leads to more low-stakes practice to further develop and so on.

Without game experience, the "formal assessment" is unfortunately denied to these players. This lessens their ability to fully demonstrate what they have learned and what still needs addressing. That said, given the quick turnaround between games, your point is actually logical; our bench players were able to demonstrate what they can do well and what needs work in the Cal game the night before. Hence, there was a "formal assessment" this week.

If the bench doesn't play more during the Michigan game, then it could be argued that these players are not being given true opportunities to be assessed and, in turn, develop in meaningful ways. After all, your post states that we need Kaleb to keep playing major minutes to improve; can't it be argued all of our key players need the same based on your logic. Essentially, this is why we like when our players play international basketball and such during the summer; these games offer developmental opportunities that often improve players for the next season.

For now, though, your point that we won the game and that there will be another "test" coming shortly changed my thinking some on what we witnessed last night. :)

Last edited:
Great post, Jordoo. It might contain the best argument that I have seen for the short bench last evening. Though I'm not quite sure I fully buy into the lack of playing time for two players that definitely need the work (BJ and Buss), I can see your logic in terms of the short turnaround between games. Your point about holding off on evaluating the usage and development of our bench players until the Michigan game seems wise since there will be more time for working out the problems by then. The implication is that we should worry if, by that game, we aren't seeing more than six players in the rotation.

Coach Boeheim and the kids were able to win last night's game despite only six players getting major minutes. However, it seems all of us regard this a recipe that isn't sustainable.

I think the question that divides the board on the bench depth issue is "Should we try to beat teams like Iowa in November at the expense of letting young players make mistakes so that they can work through them and develop as the season progresses?" Though I believe that players bring to games what they know, so learning mainly happens in practice, I would posit that players still need game experience to improve.

Think of it like teaching students. They don't learn by merely listening to a teacher; they learn through applying the skills and concepts that the teacher offers. First, students hear and/or see content. Then, they need to practice these skills and concepts in a controlled environment with low stakes. Eventually, though, they need to complete more formal assessments that require them to demonstrate their abilities. Based on this assessment, they need constructive feedback on their performance--both strengths and weaknesses--that leads to more low-stakes practice to further develop and so on.

Without game experience, the "formal assessment" is unfortunately denied to these players. This lessens their ability to fully demonstrate what they have learned and what still needs addressing. That said, given the quick turnaround between games, your point is actually logical; our bench players were able to demonstrate what they can do well and what needs work in the Cal game the night before. Hence, there was a "formal assessment" this week.

If the bench doesn't play more during the Michigan game, then it could be argued that these players are not being given true opportunities to be assessed and, in turn, develop in meaningful ways. After all, your post states that we need Kaleb to keep playing major minutes to improve; can't it be argued all of our key players need the same based on your logic. Essentially, this is why we like when our players play international basketball and such during the summer; these games offer developmental opportunities that often improve players for the next season.

For now, though, your point that we won the game and that there will be another "test" coming shortly changed my thinking some on what we witnessed last night. :)
JB just has a diff style than say Izzo. You notice that Izzo played a former walk on against Duke last week? Imo JB would never do that in a big game against a team like Duke, at least not at this point in his career. And we can sit here and argue about how that affects each teams progress and which style works better but in the end JB and Izzo both have the same number of national titles so different strokes for different folks is all i can conclude

disagree for the reasons you state are the exact reasons he should NOT play 30 minutes against a competitive opponent(but against lesser opponents) he needs to be brought along a little more slowly in the big games until he gains some confidence, and less anxious. if we continue with him as jb is doing,he will get worse, more anxious,down on himself and eventually end up in jbs doghouse. he has a great upside but needs help and not full time pressure to get there.

JB just has a diff style than say Izzo. You notice that Izzo played a former walk on against Duke last week? Imo JB would never do that in a big game against a team like Duke, at least not at this point in his career. And we can sit here and argue about how that affects each teams progress and which style works better but in the end JB and Izzo both have the same number of national titles so different strokes for different folks is all i can conclude

EH, let's be honest about this one, you are hedging the #s. I LOVE JB, but he's not in Izzo's class

Izzo has 6 FFs and 1 NC in 19 years (more EEs too I believe)
JB has 4 FFs and 1 NC in 38 years

..and a big part of that is how Izzo has his teams peaked by tourney time and how he builds his bench throughout the year.

Jordoo... most excellent post brother! The hard facts and reality tempered with a dose of optimism. Truly constructive criticism if there is such a thing. ;)

EH, let's be honest about this one, you are hedging the #s. I LOVE JB, but he's not in Izzo's class

Izzo has 6 FFs and 1 NC in 19 years (more EEs too I believe)
JB has 4 FFs and 1 NC in 38 years

..and a big part of that is how Izzo has his teams peaked by tourney time and how he builds his bench throughout the year.
Well i hear you, but to me there are guys like K , dean Smith, Knight, Calhoun and Pitino that have proven they can win more than one w very different teams. Then i lump guys like JB, Izzo, Self, Cal into that next group where they really could use title 2 . Dont know what to do w unc's williams and uf's Donovan because they won their two w tremendous talent in a short period of time. They are somewhere between those two groups. But thats just how i see it.

Coach Boeheim and the kids were able to win last night's game despite only six players getting major minutes. However, it seems all of us regard this as a recipe that isn't sustainable.

It's not my intention to continue the short bench argument here and you are correct by inferring that I was saying that if we only play 6 vs Michigan that I too will get in on it. My main arguement was we needed to win that game and even by your explanation of learning the guys had a chance Thursday to show what they learned and did not, perhaps the lights were too bright. Lets watch a couple games and see what happens @ Michigan and pick it up there. I did also want to be clear that in my mind Tyler needs to make bigger contributions in production and time & either BJ or Buss needs to be a rotational player (if not both) for us to be successful late into the season.

disagree for the reasons you state are the exact reasons he should NOT play 30 minutes against a competitive opponent(but against lesser opponents) he needs to be brought along a little more slowly in the big games until he gains some confidence, and less anxious. if we continue with him as jb is doing,he will get worse, more anxious,down on himself and eventually end up in jbs doghouse. he has a great upside but needs help and not full time pressure to get there.

I see him more the type that will build off of success and learn from mistakes. If he's as mentally soft as you seem to think we are screwed anyways.

Not to sugar coat it but when I watched Michigan the other night they a looked a lot stronger than Iowa. They have 2 or 3 guys shooting 50+ percent from three point range. It could be a blood bath.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/130/michigan-wolverines
Do they two guys who can match up w Rak and McC? Do they even have one guy who is a true center. Hey i think they are talented and you bring up a great pt about their shooting but matchups work two ways. Should be interesting

I think the two things holding this team back are awful passing and ugly shot selection. Rak takes a couple fugly fadeaways under the free throw line each game, and Cooney seems to fade on more than half of his jump shots. The team is currently 16-65 from 3 and we know most of those have been coming from Cooney's fadeaways. We could easily get 6-8 better shots off each game if they just stop with all that nonsense. I fully expect us to find better ways to feed Rak and McC, cause right now they are carrying the load on offense, but we gotta find some kind of rhythm on jumpers. Right now McC has the most reliable jumpshot on the team.

The passing has been suspect. G, Cooney, KJ have been throwing outlet passes and bounce passes at halfcourt that are either going out of bounds and missing the target by a good 10ft+ or right into a defender's hands with ease. We won't be able to contend with a team like L'Ville if we can't take better care of the ball during full court pressure or on fast break opportunities. This was the whole reason Iowa stormed back. We had something like 6 or 7 turnovers in 9 or 10 possessions towards the end of the game and not even a third of them seemed to be forced by Iowa.

The Defense has been pretty damn good considering Syracuse lost more contributing minutes from last year's team compared to any other team in the country. I saw that on a SportsCenter chart the other day that Cuse, UConn and Duke lost the most production from last year. We are giving up a couple easy offensive rebounds and losing a man down low or out on the 3pt line from time to time, but nothing really excessive. Some more time will get everyone to understand when and where to close out on shooters and step in to help defend the paint. The main problem I've had with the defense is everybody seems to jog back and watch fast breaks blow right by them sometimes. Or foul a guy by slapping him on the shoulder and letting them get the and 1 that my 7 year old niece could have made. If your gonna foul, gotta make them miss at least.

Edit: Also, our Free throws need to get better. Shooting 65% right now.

They are also smaller than Cal and not as physical as far as i can tell. Should be an interesting match up.

Joseph HAS to be alert when a team gets the ball into the middle then passes back to his area for 3s. Michigan could be raining threes on us.

I meant with the rotation more than results, that said if Rak and Chris stay out of foul trouble I doubt Mich can handle them. Atmosphere worries me a bit.

Great post earlier. Beilein runs some really good zone offense since he has had good talent at UM. Joseph has been getting abused when the ball gets into the high post or paint then out for kickback 3s. I don't know what he is doing. Lots of poor closeouts by our guards. If this continues then it won't matter what Rak/Chris do. We'll lose by 30 in A2.

I really think this was a breakout game for Mccullough and we are going to see some great things from him here on out. It's been a long time where are two best players and leading scorers have been big guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom