Ennis deadline | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis deadline

Toronto Cuse said:
I have loved this board (and old board) since I was a teenager. I have the utmost respect for all the great info people on here provide. I read every day and really quite enjoy all he different personalities. But when people start talking about conversations between father and son and what someone has in their bank account you better have first hand knowledge. If you know a guy who knows a guy who has a friend that is close to the kids advisor it's not cool to speak factually. I get it when it comes to recruiting, playing time, etc... that's all in good fun. But not even the coaching staff themselves know what is being said behind closed doors between parents and their kids. That's just pure speculation.

Keep in mind though that sometimes players say something to another player or another person or even a coach.

Ennis is a great pg, I support his decision 100%, and he gave us so much. I don't think we have ever had a freshmen pg with the legs he had at the end of game like him, it was unbelievable to see.

He deserves to be happy and he OWES US NOTHING!
Go Tyler, and Go Cuse!!

The Ennis era is over, especially now that Frank Howard has stated that Ennis' departure affected his decision. That struck me as odd, though, considering FH wouldn't even be here yet to play with Ennis, unless the latter was going to stick around as a junior. An Ennis soph. season might have affected FH indirectly, admittedly.

I have loved this board (and old board) since I was a teenager. I have the utmost respect for all the great info people on here provide. I read every day and really quite enjoy all he different personalities. But when people start talking about conversations between father and son and what someone has in their bank account you better have first hand knowledge. If you know a guy who knows a guy who has a friend that is close to the kids advisor it's not cool to speak factually. I get it when it comes to recruiting, playing time, etc... that's all in good fun. But not even the coaching staff themselves know what is being said behind closed doors between parents and their kids. That's just pure speculation.

I liked this post 20 times in spirit.

I imagine one of the factors in Ennis decision is lack of a SG who could score off the dribble, or under defensive pressure.

However, Joseph would be a interesting change to that, and both would be able to run more isolation then this past year with the loss of Fair. Both would have the keys to be our best scorers by midseason-middle of Feb, pending a huge jump from roberson or cooneys shot under pressure(and imo I give them a 20% chance to be ready to). Both would be end of game guards with a real strong motor. Josephs high school workout tape foreshadows it, and Ennis has proven it without a doubt.

I wonder how different things could be with Mccullough and Roberson as the forwards, bringing back Gbinije his muscle, and some point forward skills, and BJ's potential to fit into either guard or forward. Buss a key to the defense and hopefully some on the ball pressure with his long arms and quick legs. Better scoring from our centers when we want to slow it down, I think Rak's iso game will come at a slower pace ala Arinze next year then this years. Dajuan in a much better body, and Obokoh.

My overall point, I think Ennis would find very very different team potential and chemistry, if he did return. And the keys would be his from day one, sadly him being a fresh, we never got to see enough of that.

Last edited:
I imagine one of the factors in Ennis decision is lack of a SG who could score off the dribble, or under defensive pressure.

This is garbage. I can't believe I just read that somebody thinks Tyler Ennis was pushed to the NBA by the fact that Trevor Cooney is so bad that there is no sense staying in college. My mind is beyond blown.

HoustonCuse said:
This is garbage. I can't believe I just read that somebody thinks Tyler Ennis was pushed to the NBA by the fact that Trevor Cooney is so bad that there is no sense staying in college. My mind is beyond blown.

Ditto all that. Unbelievable reasoning.

not to rebute my post. But, I am not saying he was pushed to the nba by that, nowhere even near that.

Just saying no help in the backcourt from someone that can shoot off the dribble or shoot under alittle pressure isn't exactly motivation next years team will be good, for a mid-high projected pick. It isn't exactly unmotivation either, but I think Kaleb could bring some. Similar to Scoop/Dion off the dribble. Can't deny their end of game motor either.

No knock on Cooney either. Hes a extrememly hard worker. I imagine he will try to get better shooting off the dribble/under pressure, his work eithic has proven that.

Last edited:
orangefan13 said:
not rebute my post. But, I am not saying he was pushed to the nba by that, nowhere even near that. Just saying no help in the backcourt from someone that can shoot off the dribble or shoot under alittle pressure isn't exactly motivation next years team will be good, for a mid-high projected pick. It isn't exactly unmotivation either, but I think Kaleb could bring some. Similar to Scoop/Dion off the dribble. There is no denying their end of game motor either.
Look Cooney had his ebb and flows but he shot like 38 percent from 3.

And was a 4th scoring option against tough physical defense.

IMO, harder for him to get a good shot last year then someone like southerland as a screen/motion pull up shooter. And Southerland was a legit 2nd sometimes 1st scoring option imo.
Granted, southerland was a senior that prepped vs third year soph.

Once again thats no knock on cooney either, hes a extrememly hard worker.

orangefan13 said:
not rebute my post. But, I am not saying he was pushed to the nba by that, nowhere even near that. Just saying no help in the backcourt from someone that can shoot off the dribble or shoot under alittle pressure isn't exactly motivation next years team will be good, for a mid-high projected pick. It isn't exactly unmotivation either, but I think Kaleb could bring some. Similar to Scoop/Dion off the dribble. Can't deny their end of game motor either. No knock on Cooney either. Hes a extrememly hard worker. I imagine he will try to get better shooting off the dribble/under pressure, his work eithic has proven that.

Steph curry could be our 2 guard next year and ennis was still leaving. Top 3 reasons ennis left:

1 - $$$$$
2 - $$$$$
3 - nba groupies

Jk

3 - $$$$$

As a sports writer said in regard to LBJ possibly leaving Miami should apply to Ennis as well: If he leaves the fans should only say two words: Thank You.

Last edited:
As a sports writer said in regard to LBJ possibly leaving Miami: If he leaves the fans should only say two words: Thank You.
LeBron gave 'em a couple of championships, which is slightly better than a round of 32 loss to a mid-major.

Whatevs.

LeBron gave 'em a couple of championships, which is slightly better than a round of 32 loss to a mid-major.

Whatevs.
If you think that was all his doing------Whatevs.

Ennis is a great pg, I support his decision 100%, and he gave us so much. I don't think we have ever had a freshmen pg with the legs he had at the end of game like him, it was unbelievable to see.

He deserves to be happy and he OWES US NOTHING!
Go Tyler, and Go Cuse!!

Pearl, and probably Sherman too.

As a Syracuse fan I hate when anyone leaves for the selfish reason that I am a Syracuse fan. Bottomline is, under the current system, if you are a sure bet first round pick you go pro. Ennis playing in the NBA next year is irrelevant. Most likely he and Grant will be D-League bound but they will still have that three year security blanket that they would not have received in college to work on a second contract. I dislike it but if I was offered 1 million the next three years or go back to college, all bets off, how stupid would I be to stay in college? It is borderline insane.

As a Syracuse fan I hate when anyone leaves for the selfish reason that I am a Syracuse fan. Bottomline is, under the current system, if you are a sure bet first round pick you go pro. Ennis playing in the NBA next year is irrelevant. Most likely he and Grant will be D-League bound but they will still have that three year security blanket that they would not have received in college to work on a second contract. I dislike it but if I was offered 1 million the next three years or go back to college, all bets off, how stupid would I be to stay in college? It is borderline insane.

I agree with your main point, but the analogy has one missing detail. The offer you would have is a $1M to work for three years. If you don't perform at a world class level in those three years, yes you can return to college but you will never again be able to work professionally in the United States in your chosen field. So there is lots of opportunity cost tied up in te decision both in terms of your aspirations (nobody aspires to play their pro career in the D league) and your potential lifetime earnings.

Look Cooney had his ebb and flows but he shot like 38 percent from 3.

That's the mean average, of course. And it doesn't tell much of the story.

The key question to ask is how many games did he shoot 0%? 10%? and 20%? and what happened to the team in those games?

38% would be great if he stayed in a range between 30 and 45%. But team efforts can't survive many 2 for 12 shooting performances.

In the thirteen games he shot 20% or less he had 72 missed 3 pt attempts. In two games he missed 10 shots, but we did win both of those.

If Cooney shoots like he did in 13-14 next year, that will be a big problem.

Townie72 said:
That's the mean average, of course. And it doesn't tell much of the story. The key question to ask is how many games did he shoot 0%? 10%? and 20%? and what happened to the team in those games? 38% would be great if he stayed in a range between 30 and 45%. But team efforts can't survive many 2 for 12 shooting performances. In the thirteen games he shot 20% or less he had 72 missed 3 pt attempts. In two games he missed 10 shots, but we did win both of those. If Cooney shoots like he did in 13-14 next year, that will be a big problem.
I'm well aware of his fluctuations and noted that. But to say a guy that shot 38 percent from 3 was "no help in the backcourt" is just silly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom