Ennis & Grant | Syracusefan.com

Ennis & Grant

cuseincincy

All Conference
Imagine if you will that Tyler Ennis and Jerami Grant are in this years draft as each of them could have been. (Discussions about how SU would have fared not included!) Ennis in my opinion would likely have been drafted in about the same spot. Jerami? Top 10? Top 5? Dude would have been an absolute beast his junior year, ridiculous as a senior. According to NBA.com Grant was projected to be a mid first round pick. He went 39th.

Just for kicks:

Starters: Ennis, Cooney, Gbinije, Grant, Coleman
Bench: Richardson, Roberson, Lydon

I bet JB would played at least 8!

Imagine if you will that Tyler Ennis and Jerami Grant are in this years draft as each of them could have been. (Discussions about how SU would have fared not included!) Ennis in my opinion would likely have been drafted in about the same spot. Jerami? Top 10? Top 5? Dude would have been an absolute beast his junior year, ridiculous as a senior. According to NBA.com Grant was projected to be a mid first round pick. He went 39th.

Just for kicks:

i'm with you, it's fun to play this game but just to slow down, there are like 30 schools that can play the "what if" game. dudes be leaving early e'erywhere.

i'm with you, it's fun to play this game but just to slow down, there are like 30 schools that can play the "what if" game. dudes be leaving early e'erywhere.
What's to slow down? All I said was JB would have played 8 guys with that roster.:cool:

Just for kicks:

If Jerami Grant, as he's known now in the NBA, was eligible for this draft, I think he'd be 18-25.

If Jerami Grant, as he's known now in the NBA, was eligible for this draft, I think he'd be 18-25.
Think about how those skills that he is putting up against NBA guys would fare against college players. I think he would be unreal. Shooting threes, obviously dunking everything in site, blocking shots, just being the athlete he is. I think he would be a top ten pick.

With the postseason ban coming down the pipe both Ennis and Grant made the right decision.
If we didn't take the ban in 2015 then Richardson/Lydon may never come in 2016.
Jermai Grant fell because teams worried about his NBA position. If he is a SF he needed to show more offense and if was a PF was he big enough weight wise to bang bodies down low. If Grant had Richardson's shooting ability we are talking he is a top 5 pick and Serge Ibaka like player.
We forget about the ban talking either the 2015 or 2016 postseason. Syracuse did the smart thing and Ennis/Grant did as well.

Just for kicks:

Final Four team. Oh wait. I see what I did there.

Ennis absolutely made the right decision IMO. I agree with the OP he wasn't likely to improve his position no matter when he left. Grant could have continued to improve his position but it seems to have worked out pretty well for him as well. I hope its the same for Mal in a couple years when we look back, I think he has the potential and tools to have a very nice NBA career.

Think about how those skills that he is putting up against NBA guys would fare against college players. I think he would be unreal. Shooting threes, obviously dunking everything in site, blocking shots, just being the athlete he is. I think he would be a top ten pick.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I don't disagree with what Ottogrotto stated but had Jerami been in college the last 2 years he would have been as you said "unreal." He has not been all that in the NBA though he has shown signs of being a good NBA player albeit a relatively unknown one kind of like Ennis. Had they been in college the last 2 years they would have been 2 of the best players in the country, on every all american list, the cover of numerous magazines and everyone would know their name (not just us SU fans). They also would have been a couple million poorer. Not sure what kind of endorsement deals they each have but the publicity each could have had the last 2 years would likely enabled them to earn much more now than they are. Maybe even enough to make up for whatever NBA salary they wouldn't have made. I'm still not sold that either one of them made the "right decision." Basketball wise or money wise.

cuseincincy said:
Imagine if you will that Tyler Ennis and Jerami Grant are in this years draft as each of them could have been. (Discussions about how SU would have fared not included!) Ennis in my opinion would likely have been drafted in about the same spot. Jerami? Top 10? Top 5? Dude would have been an absolute beast his junior year, ridiculous as a senior. According to NBA.com Grant was projected to be a mid first round pick. He went 39th. Just for kicks: Starters: Ennis, Cooney, Gbinije, Grant, Coleman Bench: Richardson, Roberson, Lydon I bet JB would played at least 8!

Seriously...if you ever have the chance to ask JB that AFTER retirement, I'd bet you get a really interesting answer. My gut is yes he'd have gone deeper than 8 and there would be some nuggets on 1 and done relative to the NCAA policies.

44cuse

You can't argue with Grant's decision. He is in the league and playing significant minutes. He is going to stick for a long time. It worked.

With the postseason ban coming down the pipe both Ennis and Grant made the right decision.
If we didn't take the ban in 2015 then Richardson/Lydon may never come in 2016.
Jermai Grant fell because teams worried about his NBA position. If he is a SF he needed to show more offense and if was a PF was he big enough weight wise to bang bodies down low. If Grant had Richardson's shooting ability we are talking he is a top 5 pick and Serge Ibaka like player.
We forget about the ban talking either the 2015 or 2016 postseason. Syracuse did the smart thing and Ennis/Grant did as well.

They didn't know about the postseason ban when they left.

They didn't know about the postseason ban when they left.
Dude the ban was happening. If they returned we don't take the 2015 ban and we get it for 2016.
With a ban for 2016 Malachi Richardson, Tyler Lydon, Frank Howard wouldn't come here.
You think about the program needs more than the kids. Kids don't come here if they couldn't play in the NCAAT. The postseason ban was happening the 2015 team took it on the chin for the program.

everyone seems to just toss to the side the fact that we were sanctioned. hard. this program was put through the mud for like 5 years in a row. some folks just seem to expect that we would be business as usual. the sanctions hurt the program. somehow we cobbed together a final 4 while sanctioned. just enjoy it and see what happens next. I could care less about Thompson or any other kid, come here or don't, we will be fine either way.

So you're pretty much saying his collegiate performance would have artificially elevated his stock relative o what he's actually accomplishing in he NBA?

hmm

Just for kicks:

Can't assume we have Richardson or Lydon. Playing time and scholarship issues.

Just for kicks:

You forgot about McCullough. To me though, these exercises are pointless, as all top programs could play this game.

IMO, Ennis made the proper "strike while the iron is hot" decision, and things have worked out well for Grant in a place where he had been able to get valuable playing time and establish himself as a solid rotation player. McCullough also has landed in a great spot where he should see big minutes next season when he is fully recovered his surgery. The future seems pretty bright for all of these guys, as well as for the SU program.

Just for kicks:

Ennis undrafted or very late second round. He made the right choice to go when he did.
Grant #13. Pretty sure he would have improved his stock by staying.

So you're pretty much saying his collegiate performance would have artificially elevated his stock relative o what he's actually accomplishing in he NBA?

hmm
I'm not sure what you are saying there, but what I was saying is that he left after having a good year as a third option. His skills were improving, I believe he would have been a true 3 point threat and he would have had a bigger opportunity to show off his otherworldly athleticism therefore increasing his stock. Sure fire first rounder if not lottery.

I'm not sure what you are saying there, but what I was saying is that he left after having a good year as a third option. His skills were improving, I believe he would have been a true 3 point threat and he would have had a bigger opportunity to show off his otherworldly athleticism therefore increasing his stock. Sure fire first rounder if not lottery.
I think he has a much better chance developing as a three point shooter as a 76er. JB wouldn't have wanted him launching threes.

I think he has a much better chance developing as a three point shooter as a 76er. JB wouldn't have wanted him launching threes.

Funny stat I heard from Chris Herring on the Lowe podcast; of all people who took at least 100 3's last season; the two worst? Jeremi and jerian Grant.

malachi should have started over cooney this year at the 2. poor roster management and sanctions made cooney a 36+ starter.
evidently every nba scout and intelligent poster agrees with us who made this argument all year

Last edited:
malachi should have started over cooney this year at the 2. poor roster management and sanctions made cooney a 36+ starter.
evidently every nba scout and intelligent poster agrees with us who made this argument all year

Who would have played the three?

Did Mali not get enough minutes or something?

You do realize Richardson was playing the 3 out of necessity, right? Who would you have plugged into his front court spot?

At any rate, it really was a shame how the season turned out.

did i not cite "roster management" as a weakness. when you have players logging major minutes out of position that's an issue.
and lydon at the 5 spot ? checkmate.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom