Ennis On the Move Again | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis On the Move Again

The worst thing about this news is the wave of #hottakes it'll spawn.

You're probably joking, but in case anyone is curious, no, they couldn't have. deadline is 10/31.

I have to say I am pretty surprised he got the option declined, it's not like it's all that expensive, even for a third PG.
Semi joking. But ok yeah, ordinarily the end of a month signifies nothing (except December 31). It's just unfortunate that Halloween is the 31 I guess.

You're probably joking, but in case anyone is curious, no, they couldn't have. deadline is 10/31.

I have to say I am pretty surprised he got the option declined, it's not like it's all that expensive, even for a third PG.

I am surprised as well.

The Raptors executed the option on the more craptacular Bruno Caboclo and Bebe Nogeuira (two players on my favourite team that I don't really worry if I spell their names right).

Exercising options are so cheap right now, especially since the options were not adjusted for the huge cap increase. If the player shows any growth you are getting a bargain -- if not it's a cheap release cost or easy trade filler.

I am surprised as well.

The Raptors executed the option on the more craptacular Bruno Caboclo and Bebe Nogeuira (two players on my favourite team that I don't really worry if I spell their names right).

Exercising options are so cheap right now, especially since the options were not adjusted for the huge cap increase. If the player shows any growth you are getting a bargain -- if not it's a cheap release cost or easy trade filler.

Yeah thats what I was thinking, I guess they value the roster spot more.

well, that makes his an expiring deal which makes him more useful in the case of any available in-season trades. also, his option was for $2.7M; if he plays well, they can bring him back on an vet's minimum deal for $1.05, so that's a pretty significant savings.

well, that makes his an expiring deal which makes him more useful in the case of any available in-season trades. also, his option was for $2.7M; if he plays well, they can bring him back on an vet's minimum deal for $1.05, so that's a pretty significant savings.

The expiring deals, especially at his salary, pretty much have little to no value anymore.

If he plays well, what makes you think they can get him for the vet minimum? The money being thrown around right now is insane.

The expiring deals, especially at his salary, pretty much have little to no value anymore.

1. If he plays well, what makes you think they can get him for the vet minimum? The money being thrown around right now is insane.
it's not that his expiring deal is valuable in and of itself, it is that he can be put into a larger deal to make salaries match with no penalty for the receiving team.

2. "playing well" is a relative term; if he plays well, it will be as a 3rd PG. Filling that role is not going to draw much more than the minimum. If he plays so well that he turns himself into a #2 PG, then the Rockets calculation will have backfired. but I don't think that's likely

It's not a clear cut issue on either side. It also becomes a larger issue the higher you are drafted as the option is higher.

Certainly some teams like the Rockets think as you do above -- it seems that teams in the NBA are fairly divergent on this issue this offseason.

it's not that his expiring deal is valuable in and of itself, it is that he can be put into a larger deal to make salaries match with no penalty for the receiving team.

2. "playing well" is a relative term; if he plays well, it will be as a 3rd PG. Filling that role is not going to draw much more than the minimum. If he plays so well that he turns himself into a #2 PG, then the Rockets calculation will have backfired. but I don't think that's likely

His salary is like what, 1.5 million? There's more leeway when it comes to matching salaries now, the odds of them needing his salary to match on a deal; I really just don't see it.

Agree with #2, if someone wants to make him a #2 pg they're going to throw like 3/15 at least at him. It seems like quite a gamble, if he plays well, then they could just have him for $2.7 million or so, which is nothing. it says to me they don't value him at all.

He left 1 year too early

not a first round pick if he sticks around another year. Won't get any taller or faster and one more year of "potential" is gone. He tricked one GM into drafting him after his freshman year, after a soph. year he's old news. He left at the perfect time to maximize his NBA money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom