Eric Devendorf -- last night... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Eric Devendorf -- last night...

Ever since Devo left we haven't had a kid quite like him (Dion was probably the closest, but no one comes close to Devo)...It's hard not to miss his swag and attitude on the court, dude was a straight up baller and wasn't afraid to let you know it. Wish we had someone like him every year (his skillset is sorely missed too).
You are right. It's great to have obvious high character guys like Hakim and CJ, but you need selfish killers like John Wallace, Devo, and Dion. Guys with attitude, no fear, and cockiness. I guess the challenge for every coach is how to create that great balance.

You are right. It's great to have obvious high character guys like Hakim and CJ, but you need selfish killers like John Wallace, Devo, and Dion. Guys with attitude, no fear, and cockiness. I guess the challenge for every coach is how to create that great balance.
John Wallace, selfish killer, attitude and cocky?? DC maybe, but John?

John Wallace, selfish killer, attitude and cocky?? DC maybe, but John?
Not in a bad way. John Wallace was a killer. He had utmost confidence in his abilities. And he delivered. And I think his "attitude" turned off a few GM's during the Draft.

11164683_903209033074498_8455795942698400625_o.jpg
graduation breakfast!!!

Not in a bad way. John Wallace was a killer. He had utmost confidence in his abilities. And he delivered. And I think his "attitude" turned off a few GM's during the Draft.
nope.

it was his talent.

which played out true over his career.

Am i mis-remembering? I remember reading things like "surly," "slept through an alarm, missed a flight," "chip on the shoulder," "started the us-against-the-world" stance with the press during the Final Four run. I define cocky as someone who believes in him or herself and let's the world know it. John was that. He wanted the ball because he knew not many people could stop him, and he was right. I don't think that's a bad thing at all.
I guess "attitude" could be defined many ways. I don't mean "team cancer." John was a bad ass on the court. He didn't get in trouble with Student Board for arguing with a fellow student (Devo), he didn't sulk about playing time (Dion), he didn't throw haymakers at rivals (DC), so that is not the attitude I'm referring to. John played with a sneer. He was not passive. If you were not wearing Orange, he wasn't your friend. Again, I'm referencing articles from 1996, so my memory could be faulty, but I remember seeing things that implied he had "attitude" and it hurt him with certain teams. I know it's not the only reason his stock fell. Attitude in quotes.
To be clear, John Wallace is one of my favorite players and I would love to have him cloned and play every season in Orange. My original post was about having killers on the team. Cocky guys who could ball. Guys who are not the best citizens (but clearly are not horrible human beings) and are not going to win "Best Mannered" award. I tend to think of John, Dion, Devo (and shame on me for not originally mentioning DC) as those kinds of guys. Guys you want to have the ball in their hands at the end of games. Killers. Guys who have had their share of critics, but don't care. Killers. If I can have one of those every four years, I would be happy.

I also want to mention that Mookie Jones is graduating in May. I love to hear about our players coming back, no matter the adversity, and finishing their degrees. Mookie has his daughters back home in Peekskill so that has been difficult for him. He is on his own in Syracuse doing this. Two great stories!!

Thanks for sharing this. I'm sure that this wasn't easy for Mookie and Devo and I couldn't be prouder of them. Their graduation speaks volumes about the SU basketball program and its culture (and I'm sure that the NCAA has taken no note of it).

So glad Eric has brought focus to his life., I wish him only the best. I am proud of him that he has found the will to change, and find a more mature approach to life.
We ALL have things / events that we would redo if given the chance. Fortunately we did not live are lives under the kind of scrutiny Eric did. Best to you Eric !

I can tell you of a few examples in his past that would say you are painting a much prettier picture than the truth.

But that was in his past, and am glad to hear he is doing well now.

Having been present for at least one of those examples, I can corroborate your story. But as others have said, glad he's on a good path now.

bryanradams said:
I tend to think of John, Dion, Devo (and shame on me for not originally mentioning DC) as those kinds of guys. Guys you want to have the ball in their hands at the end of games.

I wish Devo had the ball in his hands at the end of the game in '87...

Too soon?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom