Erin Andrews awarded $55 million by the jury | Syracusefan.com

Erin Andrews awarded $55 million by the jury

I wonder how much she will actually collect and how many years it will take to play out. The hotel is probably highly leveraged and will probably file bk. It will probably get appealed and then settled for a fraction of the award.

I wonder how much she will actually collect and how many years it will take to play out. The hotel is probably highly leveraged and will probably file bk. It will probably get appealed and then settled for a fraction of the award.

Certainly the imprisoned defendant ain't coming up with $29 million.

Any possible sympathy I had for the hotel went completely out the window after that waiter testified that hotel management was passing the video around making a joke of it.

Also, the guy asked the hotel what room she was staying in and if he could have a room next door and they freaking gave it to him -- F them. Imagine if Erin was your sister or wife and this happened to her.

Last edited:
Now when you check into any hotel in the USA you have to sign a contract that says you are not a peeping Tom and will not drill holes in the wall and install a camera to secretly view or photograph anyone in an adjoining room. Hotels can then add a $10 fee to cover the cost of the Peeping Tom security overhead.

Yes, but I am sure she feels a lot better about it today. I'm not sure it was ever about the money. I think she wanted her story told and to win the verdict. Incredible what came out about ESPN how they thought it might have been a set up by her.

i'm gonna disagree here. the hotel shouldn't be held liable for the actions of any perv who checks in. and he could have made that same video had he been booked 2 floors away. i've asked for a room near my friends and co workers hundreds of times. it's not at all an unusual request. plus at the the time this act happened probably 1 person out of one thousand could tell you who erin andrews was or who she worked for.unless there was printed out restraining order that every desk clerk in america was aware of i just don't see the negligence here. also what's there to prevent a couple of consenting people from staging this exact same type of situation and collecting millions ? it would be damn easy to pull off.

Last edited:
$55 million? Yeah, that makes zero sense.

cliftonparksufan said:
Yes, but I am sure she feels a lot better about it today. I'm not sure it was ever about the money. I think she wanted her story told and to win the verdict. Incredible what came out about ESPN how they thought it might have been a set up by her.

Well to be honest...if you don't know Erin personally (which I doubt some ESPN managers or their counsel did at the time)...what seemed more plausible:

1) A budding media superstar hottie released a nude video of herself to bolster her popularity (at a time when that kind of stuff seemed to happen regularly in Hollywood)

Or

2) Some random dude figured out what hotel room she was staying in on the road, drilled a hole in her hotel peep hole, replaced with a camera and filmed her naked without getting caught and then released it on the Internet.

ESPNs flaw was forcing her to go on a talk show to talk about it...instead of waiting for the police investigation to play out. Would anyone have been in shock if it turned out to be a publicity stunt?

Of the $54 mil, $28 mil is owed by the perv (Barrett) and $26 mil by the hotel. I'm not sure collection will be easy. Maybe the hotel had significant liability insurance.

Ed Zackley.

Of the $54 mil, $28 mil is owed by the perv (Barrett) and $26 mil by the hotel. I'm not sure collection will be easy. Maybe the hotel had significant liability insurance.
Question for lawyers. Do juries know how much liability coverage a defendant has before they set an award amount?

i'm gonna disagree here. the hotel shouldn't be held liable for the actions of any perv who checks in. and he could have made that same video had he been booked 2 floors away. i've asked for a room near my friends and co workers hundreds of times. it's not at all an unusual request. plus at the the time this act happened probably 1 person out of one hundred could tell you who erin andrews was or who she worked for.unless there was printed out restraining order that every desk clerk in america was aware of i just don't see the negligence here. also what's there to prevent a couple of consenting people from staging this exact same type of situation and collecting millions ? it would be damn easy to pull off.

I'd probably feel that way except for what Eric15 wrote above in no. 6. The hotel's reaction was reprehensible and completely irresponsible. If they had phoned the police as soon as they knew about it, that's different. But they didn't. It appears they made no valid attempt to mitigate what happened, and in fact made it worse.

Well to be honest...if you don't know Erin personally (which I doubt some ESPN managers or their counsel did at the time)...what seemed more plausible:

1) A budding media superstar hottie released a nude video of herself to bolster her popularity (at a time when that kind of stuff seemed to happen regularly in Hollywood)

Or

2) Some random dude figured out what hotel room she was staying in on the road, drilled a hole in her hotel peep hole, replaced with a camera and filmed her naked without getting caught and then released it on the Internet.

ESPNs flaw was forcing her to go on a talk show to talk about it...instead of waiting for the police investigation to play out. Would anyone have been in shock if it turned out to be a publicity stunt?
I'm surprised she didn't sue ESPN as well. I couldn't imagine asking someone who worked for me something like that. No matter which seemed more plausible, that's a very taunt tightrope they are walking. They definitely should have waited for the official investigation to be completed.

As someone who works in real estate investment management, I hate that verdict against the hotel. Sets a bad precedent that you can be held liable for the perverted acts of your guests.

As someone who works in real estate investment management, I hate that verdict against the hotel. Sets a bad precedent that you can be held liable for the perverted acts of your guests.

I'm certainly not a lawyer, but some reasonable attempt at meeting the standard for due diligence (the mythical "reasonable man" test) should mitigate damages (of which they were negligent). But also wouldn't a lot depend on the jurisdiction and its precedents? Sabach? Anyone?

and had the hotel given him a room key i'd say sue them blue. but who could possibly think someone's going to swap peepholes ? suppose the creep had been crawling on a ledge outside her window and fell. he'd probably get 20 million.

and had the hotel given him a room key i'd say sue them blue. but who could possibly think someone's going to swap peepholes ? suppose the creep had been crawling on a ledge outside her window and fell. he'd probably get 20 million.

"Deep pocket theory:" sue whoever has the most money, and you're bound to get some of it.

Question for lawyers. Do juries know how much liability coverage a defendant has before they set an award amount?
Nope. Not sure insurance would even cover.

I'm certainly not a lawyer, but some reasonable attempt at meeting the standard for due diligence (the mythical "reasonable man" test) should mitigate damages (of which they were negligent). But also wouldn't a lot depend on the jurisdiction and its precedents? Sabach? Anyone?
Yeah like not allowing guests to know where other guests are staying in the hotel, much less that they are even staying at the hotel. Hotels should absolutely be held liable for not protecting their customers.