ESPN 30 for 30 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN 30 for 30

G

GoCuse44

There is nothing on TV tonight so I turned on ESPN 30 for 30 - The U : Part 2 and they discuss the loss that changed the Miami football program. Then the scene shifts to a packed Carrier Dome in 1998 and the Cuse blows out TE U 66-13. Butch Davis said "we lost a horrific game to an unbelievable Syracuse team" and an assistant says "we got mauled, I mean we got mauled by Syracuse." The next week Miami beat #3 UCLA and the Miami football program when onto its glory years.

Boy did that bring back memories of how much fun it was to attend SU football games. I hope we all get to see that kind of football again inside the Carrier Dome !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The ending was very cute, saying that Miami won 6 national championships, then a yellow flag comes into the picture and they change it to 5.

That was a lousy and late call vs. Ohio State. That's also the only time a team north of the Mason-Dixon Line has won a national championship since the BCS started.

If one coach, say Howard Schellenberger, had coached Miami from his era through the Coker Era, (1979-2006), his record would have been 267-79-0 (.794) with 6, err 5 national championships.

I watched it too and was infuriated by the complete buffoonery of the NCAA.
Here's a program as dirty as they come caught yet again and they basically get off with a minimum punishment.

This is why I really can't worry about whatever ridiculous investigation is going on around SU. The NCAA has no teeth anymore. They're maybe just a little better run organization than FIFA

The 1st documentary was better, this one wasn't as good I thought. This one was kinda boring at times. They made Butch Davis out to be a saint and how they don't mention all of his issues at UNC is beyond me. Butch was a large part of this story and I know its only about the Miami program but the change in Butch from his Miami days to what he has turned into now is something that should have been mentioned. Pretty much this clean cut by the book guy does it right at Miami, then after he leaves and goes to the Browns and then back to college he broke every rule in the book. Essentially like his time at Miami corrupted him in many ways.

Larry Coker probably regrets sitting down for this as he was portrayed as an fool on every level. He shouldn't have helped the guy make him look stupid. He has to regret sitting down for that interview. Randy Shannon was presented as the inmate they hired to run the asylum, how he was Miami through and through (that isn't a good thing.)

I know it just touched on Al Golden and the current state of the school, but they are built to make a big run next year. The people down there hate Golden with a passion they so want him gone. But next years Team will be preseason ranked Top 10 or Top 5. They are loaded up to be a top team again. And I'm sure if they win big in the next couple years we will see THE U PART 3 in a few years down the road

There is nothing on TV tonight so I turned on ESPN 30 for 30 - The U : Part 2 and they discuss the loss that changed the Miami football program. Then the scene shifts to a packed Carrier Dome in 1998 and the Cuse blows out TE U 66-13. Butch Davis said "we lost a horrific game to an unbelievable Syracuse team" and an assistant says "we got mauled, I mean we got mauled by Syracuse." The next week Miami beat #3 UCLA and the Miami football program when onto its glory years.

Boy did that bring back memories of how much fun it was to attend SU football games. I hope we all get to see that kind of football again inside the Carrier Dome !!!!

True.

The Syracuse-Miami rivalry was a good one.

The Hurricanes were always pumped to play the Orange.

And, it showed - especially in 2000 and 2001. Ouch.

The 2001 team was without doubt the best college football team ever assembled.

I think that team had nearly 40 draft picks with nearly 20 first round picks. Wow.

It was nice seeing the blue and orange in the video clips from the Dome last night.

Miami was unquestionably the best team in college football in 2000, 2001 and 2002, but they only have one title to show for it. I feel like USC was similar in that regard, I think they had the best team in the country for much of the mid-2000s but only cashed in one title.

It was only a rivalry to us. They never considered us their rival.

They certainly didn't consider us to be a Florida State rival. We were not THE rival.

But they never forgot the drubbing at the Dome and that group really let us have it the next two years - for precisely that reason.

You did watch the program last night? Where they cited the Dome game as a major loss - one that clearly left an impression?

The 2001 team was without doubt the best college football team ever assembled.

LOL.not according to Igor.

According to Igor our talent was 20 points better and only Coach P was holding us back.

"Not even close"

Wrong.

Again.
You ask anyone who has long-time followed Miami football to name any and all rivals within the past 30 years and Syracuse isnt' even mentioned. Miami people and anyone with a college football IQ over 2 would laugh at you if you think SU-Miami was ever a football rivalry

You did watch the program last night? Where they cited the Dome game as a major loss - one that clearly left an impression?
It's only 1 game. Doesn't mean they were rivals.

They certainly didn't consider us to be a Florida State rival. We were not THE rival.

But they never forgot the drubbing at the Dome and that group really let us have it the next two years - for precisely that reason.

Yes, I watched, and I loved the Cuse shootout. But in order for it to be a rivalry, don't their fans have to care just a little bit? The season after the drubbing (1999), their fans were so passionate about getting revenge for the 1998 that a whopping 35,208 (Orange Bowl held 72,319) attended the game.

And then in 2001 when Gameday was at our game and we were in the Top 15, just a small handful of Canes fans attended the show (Chris, Lee, Kirk seemed embarrassed about it).

Miami football thought of us the way SU basketball thought of say, Providence.

You ask anyone who has long-time followed Miami football to name any and all rivals within the past 30 years and Syracuse isnt' even mentioned. Miami people and anyone with a college football IQ over 2 would laugh at you if you think SU-Miami was ever a football rivalry

I don't have to ask anybody.

The story was made clear last night - the Syracuse drubbing was a significant moment for that team. And it led to the two massacres that we experienced in 2000 and 2001.

The Orange was Miami's primary challenge during the first years of the Big East. The 1991 game was a classic and the Hurricanes were always prepared to play us.

It was certainly a rivalry game. It may not have lasted lone, but it was a rivalry.

Now, since you have a football IQ of about 2 - maybe - I think you've confirmed your own point - those who don't know - don't know.

Yes, I watched, and I loved the Cuse shootout. But in order for it to be a rivalry, don't their fans have to care just a little bit? The season after the drubbing (1999), their fans were so passionate about getting revenge for the 1998 that a whopping 35,208 (Orange Bowl held 72,319) attended the game.

And then in 2001 when Gameday was at our game and we were in the Top 15, just a small handful of Canes fans attended the show (Chris, Lee, Kirk seemed embarrassed about it).

Miami football thought of us the way SU basketball thought of say, Providence.

Well, I'm not sure that's the test.

Miami really never drew well unless of course the game involved ND or the more local FSU or Florida.

Certainly, for that 2001 team there was a rivalry. And during the early years of the BE, SU- Miami was a big game for both schools.

So, yes, it was a rivalry - not the rivalry, but a rivalry nevertheless.

watching donovan mcnabb thump the hurricanes in his last home game was one of my best dome experiences ever.

The Orange was Miami's primary challenge during the first years of the Big East. The 1991 game was a classic and the Hurricanes were always prepared to play us.

It was certainly a rivalry game. It may not have lasted lone, but it was a rivalry.

In 12 years of Big East play ... Miami had a 10-2 advantage over Syracuse.

I'd say that Miami's primary challenge was Va Tech, since they only managed a 6-6 record against them.

If Syracuse v Miami was a rivalry, then Temple v Syracuse and Rutgers v Syracuse must have been rivalries too. ;)

Syracuse and Miami met in late season games with conference title implications in 1992, 1995, 1996, and 1998. There was definitely a rivalry there in the 1990's.

Using Miami fans as a barometer for anything is a joke. The rivalry was on the field and there were some big games that were hard fought and intense.

I'd say that Miami's primary challenge was Va Tech, since they only managed a 6-6 record against them.

If Syracuse v Miami was a rivalry, then Temple v Syracuse and Rutgers v Syracuse must have been rivalries too. ;)

From 1992-1998, it was very competitive at the top of the Big East. Miami was overall the best program in those years, but Syracuse and VT were right behind them.

Using Miami fans as a barometer for anything is a joke.

I disagree - I think passionate emotions amongst fans is one of the fundamental criteria for establishing a rivalry. For teams to be rivals, the game has to transcend records at least somewhat, and be important to each fanbase in and of itself. Just because two teams competed for a few conference titles doesn't constitute a rivalry, in my opinion.

There is no analogy between Miami-SU and Temple-SU or even Rutgers-SU - though the Knights did become a rival after Miami left the BE.

The SU-Miami game had BE Championship implications many times in the 1990s.

The Temple and Rutgers games never had such implications so I really don't see any comparison. Again, many on this board would say that Rutgers became a huge SU rival.

The Gedney-Graves game in the Dome was a classic with national and conference implications.

That Miami won that game, and most of the others doesn't change the fact that there was a rivalry. And last night's piece described the impact that the 1998 game had on the Miami players who would go on to become the best of all time.

You know, for many years in the sixties, before Chuck Noll became the Steelers HC, the Browns and the Steelers had a vicious rivalry - even though Cleveland always won - and usually murdered Pittsburgh.

So, again, I think the W-L record is not the key factor in this discussion. It was a rivalry. Not Miami's most important rivalry and not one that lasted all that long, but it was a rivalry and a good one - one that I would like to see renewed.

Just thought I'd get the chronology straight here:

1990 They won 7-33 at the OB
1992 They won 10-16 at the CD, thanks to the worst clock management in history
1993 They won 0-49 at the OB
1994 They won 6-27 at the CD
1995 They won 24-35 at the OB, (we led 24-14 at the half)
1996 They won 31-38 at the CD, thanks to the worst call of all time when our punt returner got creamed and they recovered the "muff" with no call. The refs said the guy was blocked into him, which was total BS. I wouldn't have blamed Pasqualoni if he marched his team off the field with a demand that the refs do their job.
1997 We finally beat them 33-13 in the OB
1998 We blew them out of the CD 66-13. I thought I was dreaming. Did it really ahppen?
1999 They blew us out of the OB 13-45
2000 They shut us out 0-26 in the CD
2001 The "battle" for the Big East title becomes a 0-59 embarressment at the OB. Yeah, they were great but 0-59?
2002 They won 7-49 at the CD
2003 An actually winnable game but we still lost 10-17 at the OB.

I think it was starting to become a rivalry, even if not Miami's primary one and when the Big East was formed they set it up as an end of the year game, thinking it would often decide the conference title. But we faded badly and they came on strong and then left the conference.

Last edited:
If you ask Miami fans, they won't say that SU was a rival. They'll say that SU was a speedbump.