ESPN 30 for 30 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN 30 for 30

If you ask Miami fans, they won't say that SU was a rival. They'll say that SU was a speedbump.

One of the least passionate and least knowledgeable fanbases with context to the success of the program they root for.

anywhere on line i can watch the 98 SU Miami game? Also, wasnt miami reeling from sanctions that year we took them out back to the woodshed?

Miami considered VPI and SU their conference rivals. We are not a rival like FSU was because of the in-state/high school rivalrys those kids had.

Miami 2001 is the greatest CFB team of the modern era. Vince Wilfork, Sean Taylor, Kellen Winslow, Willis McGahee never got off the bench for that team. 17 players on that team were 1st round picks and 39 players of 85 scholarship players were drafted.

That team was sick.

I applied to Miami specifically because of this FB team. I got accepted to both UM and SU and was happy with my decision. However, that 2001 team was sick.

The story was made clear last night - the Syracuse drubbing was a significant moment for that team. And it led to the two massacres that we experienced in 2000 and 2001.

THAT DOESN'T"T MAKE IT A RIVALRY!!!

In 12 years of Big East play ... Miami had a 10-2 advantage over Syracuse.

I'd say that Miami's primary challenge was Va Tech, since they only managed a 6-6 record against them.

If Syracuse v Miami was a rivalry, then Temple v Syracuse and Rutgers v Syracuse must have been rivalries too. ;)
Exactly! Once again OPA going out on a limb (like SU players not getting haircuts makes them "thugs" and "lack in class")...and nobody is out there with him!

Exactly! Once again OPA going out on a limb (like SU players not getting haircuts makes them "thugs" and "lack in class")...and nobody is out there with him!

I'll go out on the limb this time.

Comparing Miami/SU to SU/Temple was incredibly off the mark, for reasons already noted...SU and Miami played at the end of the year with conference titles on the line multiple times. Miami usually won, but SU took them to the wire a few times and wiped them off the field to win BE title once.

There's a reason that game was often played at the end of the season.

I'll go out on the limb this time.

Comparing Miami/SU to SU/Temple was incredibly off the mark, for reasons already noted...SU and Miami played at the end of the year with conference titles on the line multiple times. Miami usually won, but SU took them to the wire a few times and wiped them off the field to win BE title once.

There's a reason that game was often played at the end of the season.
I DIDN'T make that comparison to SU/TEMPLE, someone else did so take it up with them. But it wasn't a rivalry or anything close to the sort. Never was, never will be

The SU-Miami game had a conference rivalry feel in the 90s. If you don't think so, then you probably weren't following SU football that closely. What defines a "rivalry" is really vague anyway. I mean, was it Miami - FSU? No, but often the last game of the year for a reason.

The opinion of a Miami fan is hard to gauge because they so often don't care about anything. They are the worst. They make SU look like it has Nebraska support.

SU definitely got Miami's attention in 1992 when Gedney was tackled on the 3 yard line. Nearly ruined #1 Miami's perfect season, which Alabama did later.

I read the Rock's first book (yeah, I can't take that back now), and in his chapter about the U, he specifically mentioned the 1993 game against SU and Marvin Graves. The Miami players were sick of their local media giving SU so much attention. They really wanted to make a statement. And they did. Turned out we weren't very good, and they destroyed us 49-0.

In the McNabb era it was again a good conference rivalry. I'm sure Miami fans didn't feel it in 1997 since they were terrible and played in front of dozens.

Of all the games, obviously 1998 was the best. I think 1996 was the most disappointing. 1992 was a punch in the gut, but 1996 we just came out flat and that loss took us from BCS to the Liberty Bowl. It was quite the fall.

I DIDN'T make that comparison to SU/TEMPLE, someone else did so take it up with them. But it wasn't a rivalry or anything close to the sort. Never was, never will be

You liked the post though so I assumed you were in agreement. I already did take it up with the other guy.

Syracuse was definitely a secondary rival for Miami in the 90's, while they were THE team we wanted(later replaced by VT).

Just like WVU and BC were secondary rivals for us. How closely were you following in the 90's?

If there is a legitimate debate as to whether or not it's a rivalry, it's probably not one.
Game. Set. Match! Totally agree

Not that it is the end all be all, but EA Sports NCAA Football 2002 thru 2004 had Syracuse-Miami as a rivalry game. Obviously that isn't binding, but we were conference rivals. Miami's main rival is Florida State, but SU/VPI were conference rivals.

In 12 years of Big East play ... Miami had a 10-2 advantage over Syracuse.

I'd say that Miami's primary challenge was Va Tech, since they only managed a 6-6 record against them.

If Syracuse v Miami was a rivalry, then Temple v Syracuse and Rutgers v Syracuse must have been rivalries too. ;)

I strongly agree with all of this.

Cuse-miami was a rivarly akin to the one the hammer and the nail has. every once in a while, the hammer swings and misses or it tries to drive the nail through steel...it aint happenin. but lets be real.

there were moments for sure where we were good and i really thought we could win, but more times than not...it was heartbreak city.

I do not think Miami gives a crap about SU.

Lol miami. It is always sortive funny when they play home games infront of 2 people.

anywhere on line i can watch the 98 SU Miami game? Also, wasnt miami reeling from sanctions that year we took them out back to the woodshed?

Yes they were reeling from sanctions during that period, but to be fair, they were also living off the benefit of cheating during the period when they were at their height.

I think 1996 was the most disappointing.

Just an absolutely devastating loss. I honestly wonder if any college football team ever had as many soul crushing losses in a decade as SU had in the 90s.

Just an absolutely devastating loss. I honestly wonder if any college football team ever had as many soul crushing losses in a decade as SU had in the 90s.

And so many at home...

92 Miami
94 Oklahoma
96 Miami
98 Tennessee
99 Michigan

Those were the ones to the recognizably named good teams.

Sprinkle in a couple of super special season killing home losses to ECU in 1991 and 1995. The NC State debacle of 1997. I guess you could throw in 1993 BC if you want to mention something for each year in the 90s, but that season ended up being a mess anyway.

This kind of thing can lead to alcohol problems. That or just having a blast when drinking alcohol in your late teens and 20s (and 30s. and 40s). Either way.

Last edited:
I recall in Miami's 2002 blowout win at the Dome that they converted on a fake punt while up a ton (35-7), with the punter completing a pass which led to a 43-yard TD. When asked about it, the coach (Coker) claimed that they'd forgotten to call it off.

Miami was unquestionably the best team in college football in 2000, 2001 and 2002, but they only have one title to show for it. I feel like USC was similar in that regard, I think they had the best team in the country for much of the mid-2000s but only cashed in one title.

They got screwed by the BCS in 2000 and by the refs in 2002.