Class of 2016 - Espn final 2016 rankings...lol | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Espn final 2016 rankings...lol

Francis is right...he was never tagged in the convo. And skurey, it doesn't matter...never has. Same thing yr in, yr out regarding cuse recruit rankings

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160427-175456.png
    Screenshot_20160427-175456.png
    121.8 KB · Views: 96
Funny thing is that Finkelstein wasn't even tagged into the discussion. So I guess the sensitive one must have searched out his name since he has nothing else better to do I guess.:noidea:
This is one of many examples where the staff got it right, and the rating services didn't. I don't think it's premature to add Lydon to the list ... along with Dion, MCW, et al.

Last edited:
This is one of many examples where the staff got it right, and the rating services didn't. I don't think it's premature to add Lydon to the list ... along with Dion, MCW, et al.

Dion and MCW had great rankings. Staff and the "experts" got them right.

Dion and MCW had great rankings. Staff and the "experts" got them right.
Both were 4 stars, but didn't start off being that well known (certainly not superstars in HS for CW). It's a long way from where they started when the staff identified them to (in Dion's case) being a lottery pic at #4. Jerami Grant ... same thing. He was barely in the top 70 ... but the staff pursued him and I think it worked out pretty well.

Once again more recently ... Tyler Lydon. Here is another kid that was down in top 100 -- middle of the pack 4 star barely rated in the top 70. Now ppl are talking about him going to the NBA also. So I'm happy the SU staff trusts its own instincts.

Last edited:
Kids are smart to go to Harvard if they can qualify. I'm 95% certain the financial aid package they offer is basically better than a full scholarship at other universities. (They don't have to pay tuition, room and board if their parents make less than $100k)

Both were 4 stars, but didn't start off being that well known (certainly not superstars in HS for CW). It's a long way from where they started when the staff identified them to (in Dion's case) being a lottery pic at #4. Jerami Grant ... same thing. He was barely in the top 70 ... but the staff pursued him and I think it worked out pretty well.

Once again more recently ... Tyler Lydon. Here is another kid that was down in top 100 -- middle of the pack 4 star barely rated in the top 70. Now ppl are talking about him going to the NBA also. So I'm happy the SU staff trusts its own instincts.

Dion was #15 in the top 100, MCW was 21st. Not sure how that's ESPN disrespect and biased ratings. Yes the staff identified them early and got them signed quickly but they were very fairly ranked coming to Syracuse.

They missed on Lydon, it happens but to destroy and mock the system over it is kinda dumb.

Dion was #15 in the top 100, MCW was 21st. Not sure how that's ESPN disrespect and biased ratings. Yes the staff identified them early and got them signed quickly but they were very fairly ranked coming to Syracuse.

They missed on Lydon, it happens but to destroy and mock the system over it is kinda dumb.

You're missing the point. In all these cases (and probably others), our staff was able to pick out talent that many services ranked below (in some cases way below) a 5 star level. That was the point I was referring to. Yes some players achieved higher final ratings, but none of them achieved a 5 star, elite-type ranking -- at least on Scout and Rivals (that I've used as a reference for years).

Dion's a prime example. Scout and Rivals had him as a 4-star. That's not bad ... in fact he climbed up eventually to the top 30 (barely). But that still proves my point --- his final listing was somewhere around 29 - 35 coming out of high school ... and yet he was top 5 in the NBA draft. I've never seen him rated at #15, so not sure where you (or ESPN) came up with that. So it seems pretty obvious that, overall, the services underrated him ... since they never even listed him as a 5 star (top 25) player. Look for yourself:

Waiters went to our elite camps several times and was a 4 star .. although he climbed up to top 30 later (still a 4 star): https://n./prospect_rankings/rivals150/2010
Grant was an afterthought ... he was ranked in the 60's and he's in the NBA: https://n./prospect_rankings/rivals150/2012
MCW, again, was not highly rated initially. We were in on him before the cavalry. But he wound up about 35 and never made it to a 5 star: https://n./rivals150/2011
http://www.At their request, this n...e./college/syracuse/2011-basketball-prospects
Lydon ... same thing. He was deep into the to 100 like Grant. A mid-level 4 star that the staff cherry-picked. Now he's been looked at by NBA scouts:
https://n./prospect_rankings/rivals150/2015

Last edited:
You're missing the point. In all these cases (and probably others), our staff was able to pick out talent that many services ranked below (in some cases way below) a 5 star level. That was the point I was referring to. Yes some players achieved higher final ratings, but none of them achieved a 5 star, elite-type ranking.

Dion's a prime example. The HS rating services had him as a 4-star. That's not bad ... in fact he climbed up eventually to the top 30 (barely). But that still proves my point --- his final listing was somewhere around 29 - 35 coming out of high school ... and yet he was top 5 in the NBA draft. So it seems pretty obvious that the services underrated him ... since they never even listed him as a 5 star (top 25) player. Look for yourself:

Waiters went to our elite camps several times and was a 4 star .. although he climbed up to top 30 later (still a 4 star):
Grant was an afterthought ... he was ranked in the 60's and he's in the NBA:
MCW, again, was not highly rated initially. We were in on him before the cavalry. But he wound up about 35 and never made it to a 5 star:
Lydon ... same thing. He was deep into the to 100 like Grant. A mid-level 4 star that the staff cherry-picked. Now he's been looked at by NBA scouts:

Dion was a 5 star recruit. ESPN had him 15th overall, #2 SG in the country. . . . says he was composite rating of #21 in the country. MCW was a 5 star in some places, ranked #26 composite. You also can't knock them on Jeramy Grant, he was rated high 40s by recruiting services, he was drafted 39th overall in round 2. Not that big of a discrepancy. Im not advocating for the recruiting services here, but you blindly state false rankings based on what you think happened, when its not true.

Recruiting will never be right in any sport, but rankings don't matter at all. I don't know why anyone gets worked up over them, its an arbitrary number that is designed to make fans and players happy. Thats why they play the game on the court, and don't decide wins or losses by recruiting rankings. So why get worked up over things that don't matter. They aren't disrespecting Syracuse, there is just a "homer" bias every fan base thinks is real (besides Duke and UK). Hell, even Fab Melo and Rakeem were top 20 recruits everywhere, and they could barely play freshman year. I know you guys all think Moyer and Battle deserve to be top 10 players, but you have to realize there are a ton of other amazing players spread across the country that were also good enough to go to high major schools

Yeah, Waiters was a top five pick. I'm not sure that says more about his ability as a basketball player or about the competence of the Cavs' FO.

Also isn't the topic of this thread players getting a little ranking "bump" after committing to Duke/UK? Then someone brings up MCW who...got a bump after committing to us?

Dion was a 5 star recruit. ESPN had him 15th overall, #2 SG in the country. . . . says he was composite rating of #21 in the country. MCW was a 5 star in some places, ranked #26 composite. You also can't knock them on Jeramy Grant, he was rated high 40s by recruiting services, he was drafted 39th overall in round 2. Not that big of a discrepancy. Im not advocating for the recruiting services here, but you blindly state false rankings based on what you think happened, when its not true.

Recruiting will never be right in any sport, but rankings don't matter at all. I don't know why anyone gets worked up over them, its an arbitrary number that is designed to make fans and players happy. Thats why they play the game on the court, and don't decide wins or losses by recruiting rankings. So why get worked up over things that don't matter. They aren't disrespecting Syracuse, there is just a "homer" bias every fan base thinks is real (besides Duke and UK). Hell, even Fab Melo and Rakeem were top 20 recruits everywhere, and they could barely play freshman year. I know you guys all think Moyer and Battle deserve to be top 10 players, but you have to realize there are a ton of other amazing players spread across the country that were also good enough to go to high major schools
The links I gave were Rivals and Scout. They never made Dion, your best example, a 5 star. We're a top 20, maybe top 10 (some years), recruiting school. Yet our staff is often able to find recruits bel0w -- sometimes well below -- the top 25 (5 star) level. That point's still valid even if though you're cherrypicking higher final rankings for one kid --- who still never made the 5 STAR ranking in the services I linked. MCW was not even on the recruiting radar as a PG. We got in on him early ... then he started getting attention even though he didn't have an established 3 point game. Still, neither rivals nor Scout listed him as a top 25 (5 star) player .. (yet he was a lottery pick).

Same point with Grant (rated 64th in the US on scout and then top 31 in the world by the NBA)

Stay tuned for Lydon ... rated high 60's high school recruit in the US (Scout/Rivals)

Last edited: